• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sturge family

W

Wendy

I always thought the great Joseph Sturge was buried at Key Hill Cemetery but in fact he is not. I think this may be where the confusion came from. I have no idea if these people are part of his family although these are spelt Surges not Sturge.

From the 1880 an 1883 Kellys
Sturges Robert, 119 Westminster road,Handsworth
Sturges Robert Thomas, jun. 123 Westminster road, Handsworth
Sturges Robert Thomas, jun , 2 Clyde villas , Havelock road

The 1881 census ( Staffs.Handsworth. Dist. 20 p 34) lists at 119 Westminster road :
R Sturges (63) electroplate manufacturer (Born “The Brades”(?) Staffs )
E Sturges (56) wife
Mary J Sturges 37
Fredk(?) H. Sturges 29 bookkeeper to above
Florence M Sturges 18
Annie Luke (visitor) 18
Ann ward 39 servant

The business must have been :
Sturges, Bladon & Middleton, manufacturers of german silver, electro silver & britannia metal wares, tea & coffee services, dish & dish covers, cruet frames, toast racks,salvers, baskets, spoons, forks, &c. 13 & 14 Weaman st
This firm is listed back to 1855 (but not 1849) and remained in Weaman st till after 1921, but by 1932 they are listed as pewteres at 60 Regent Place.

He is presumably connected (Son?) of the owner of the firm (from 1855):

Sturges Richard Ford, patenfee & manufacturer of electroplate, british plate & britannia metal wares suitable for the home & foreign markets, 46 Broad street, Easy row
Mike

I can tell you that William Hipkins Sturges was an electro plate manufacturer living at 125 Westminster Rd, Handsworth in 1911. He was single. He was the son of Robert and Elizabeth.

Terry

Last edited:
Robert Sturges was born in Brades according to all his census records,this is probably Brades village in Sandwell.
He married Elizabeth Hipkins ,3rd October 1842 Aston.

Last edited:
You are a great lot! I have just got home from work and what a lovely surprise more info to add to my folder. Many thanks Mike, Terry and Alberta.

Back