• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Thanks mike, as mentioned the house numbers have helped enormously, whereas previously I believed Longacre finished at Charles Arthur Street I now see it continued to Rocky Lane. A great bit of information and solves another mystery.

Thanks once again, great job.

mmm bit of a mystery here...was looking for a pic of the new inns corner of stuart st and nechells park road and thought i had got it but i dont think so now...the caption on this reads stuart st/longacre...it looks to be more of an outdoor than a pub but cant be sure and i think its on the wrong corner to be the new inns..so the question is was there a pub or outdoor on the corner of stuart st and longacre?? will post it anyway

lyn

Nechells Long Acre Stuart St.jpg

Judging by the map, if it was on the corner of Stuart St/Longacre, then it would have to be 176 Long Acre. This was a beer retailer, which could be a beerhouse or an off licence

Hi Lyn. Thanks for the image. The map from several years shows a P.H, or Inn on the corner of Stuart Street and Nechells Park Road and the 1955 map identifies this as New Inns.

However, you have, perhaps unknowingly, come up trumps again for me. At the other end of Stuart Street, there is a building on the corner with Longacre No. 176 which is likely to be a retail premises but is not identified as such. What I noticed about the image you posted is, it would be in the right orientation and the windows and doors on the right of the building are identical to those on the image of Stuart Street as is the chimney is on the right is identical too. The map shows there is a gap/wall to the left of the pub, which could be where that wall is. It is a shame there is not a better quality of image as there is a street sign on the wall but impossible to make out.

So with a little jiggery pokery with Photoshop, I merged the Photo of Stuart Street you posted with the image of the licenced premises (LP) and bingo they match. Attached is a image that I have not merged but just slightly rotated the licenced premises. What is obvious are several things. On the extreme right there is some sign in the wall of the LP and below there is a street sign. These line up identically with the image of Stuart Street as does the windows and chimney..... WOW. Brilliant.

Attachments

• Off licence - Longacre-Stuart Street.jpg
    Off licence - Longacre-Stuart Street.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 33
There is an image on your site (attached) which does say it is New Inns, Nechells Park Road, I am not sure what the 35 refers too but it is unlikely there are two New Inns in the same road. This looks like a 1930's building which is out of context but has a lot going for it. It is the right orientation, extending into Stuart Street, there is a lamp on the right towards the back of the building which indicate the 'Lav', there is a gap between the buildings on the left, it all fits other than it looks too new and the image implies it is no 35.

Attachments

• 35 New Inns Nechells Park Rd (1).jpg
    35 New Inns Nechells Park Rd (1).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 24
pettree if you use the search box top right of the page plenty of photos should come up..not sure about trevor st but certainly there are threads for NPR and LONGACRE

lyn

Last edited:
mmm bit of a mystery here...was looking for a pic of the new inns corner of stuart st and nechells park road and thought i had got it but i dont think so now...the caption on this reads stuart st/longacre...it looks to be more of an outdoor than a pub but cant be sure and i think its on the wrong corner to be the new inns..so the question is was there a pub or outdoor on the corner of stuart st and longacre?? will post it anyway

lyn

View attachment 113100
Hi Lyn. Yes. I can tell you that the photo is of the outdoor on Stuart Street/Long Acre corner. I used to fetch pop from there on a Friday evening. The photo makes the building look shabby but the inside was immaculate and the counter or bar was made of wood. It was highly polished as was everything else, including every bottle. It was a treat to go in there. Doubly so, when you realise how polished it must have been to impress a little boy. Ivor x

hi ivor many thanks for that smashing insight of the inside of the outdoor ...as a child growing up i only really used one outdoor as the pub as more or less opposite our house..very handy for dad as well although having said that there cant have been many pubs in the area that dad had not been in:D

lyn

hi ivor many thanks for that smashing insight of the inside of the outdoor ...as a child growing up i only really used one outdoor as the pub as more or less opposite our house..very handy for dad as well although having said that there cant have been many pubs in the area that dad had not been in:D

lyn
The pubs my mom and dad used were the Mitre in Railway Terrace that has only recently closed, perhaps 2017, and the Aston Tavern opposite The swimming baths, the Swan Pool on Holborn Hill/Lichfield Road and the Prince of Wales on the corner of Long Acre and Thimble Mill Lane. My dad would go to the White Horse on Long Acre and Holborn Hill at twelve-o- clock on Sundays. They weren't big drinkers and my mom only started going on Saturdays when I was old enough to look after my sister, Linda. We Lived onLong Acre between Malvern Hill Road and Butlin Street.

Hi, Thanks for the maps, for many years I have been trying to find house numbers, but not just in Stuart Street. Some of my family used to live in Longacre, they appeared to have moved several times along the road and several families lived there. Can I be cheeky and ask is it possible to get the 1955 map of Longacre?

Really appreciate your assistance
Thank you
Mike
Hi, my family lived at number 50 stuart street in the early 60s

Hi, my family lived at number 50 stuart street in the early 60s
Hi Phil

Just seen the message, My mother lived at 48 Stuart Street but left there about 1933. My Aunt Nelle Own (nee Hicks) and cousin Walter Owen lived at 52 and my Aunt Amy Hill lived at 62 as did her family before that and there was a time a Hicks lived at 66. The Own and the Hill lived there in the 60's, I used to visit them until they knocked them down. I have a photo of no 50 if you would like to see it contact me.

Hi Phil

Just seen the message, My mother lived at 48 Stuart Street but left there about 1933. My Aunt Nelle Own (nee Hicks) and cousin Walter Owen lived at 52 and my Aunt Amy Hill lived at 62 as did her family before that and there was a time a Hicks lived at 66. The Own and the Hill lived there in the 60's, I used to visit them until they knocked them down. I have a photo of no 50 if you would like to see it contact me.
Hi mike, id love to see a photo of number 50 Stuart street thank you

Hi mike, id love to see a photo of number 50 Stuart street thank you

See attached, No 50 will be to the left of the telegraph pole, my mums is to the right and to the right of 48 there is a shop.

Enjoy......

If you have any photo's of the street please let me know.

Mike

Attachments

• Stuart street - No.48.JPG
    Stuart street - No.48.JPG
    581.9 KB · Views: 9
See attached, No 50 will be to the left of the telegraph pole, my mums is to the right and to the right of 48 there is a shop.

Enjoy......

If you have any photo's of the street please let me know.

Mike
Thats a great photo, thank you very much Mike

You will see I posted it before under Pettree, for some reason I can't log back in with that name. It was a great shock when someone sent me that photo, it was eerie as I just asked for images of stuart street and it came up like you see it, the actual house where my mum was born. Did your folks live there for very long?

You will see I posted it before under Pettree, for some reason I can't log back in with that name. It was a great shock when someone sent me that photo, it was eerie as I just asked for images of stuart street and it came up like you see it, the actual house where my mum was born. Did your folks live there for very long?
They moved in there when they got married in 1963, i was born in 1964 and they left when they knocked them down, moved to Bloomsbury walk

my nan used to live at 41 stuart street rose yates one of the last with only gas no electicticy up to about 1981

Afraid, because of length of Long acre, together with size restrictions (only just below the 1mb limit), it is not very pretty, but should serve your purpose.
Hi Mike. Some years ago I was on here as Pettree but one day it kept asking to confirm my password which I did but I was never able to log on again with that screen name.

You were kind enough to send me the attached image of Long Acre with the house numbers.

I was wondering if you have time, if you could send me the last block showing No 91 near St Josephs and if possible 168 long acre where my ancestors moved to later. some of the numbers are difficult to make out when I expand them.

I do have maps of the area around the time but none with numbers on them.

Thank you
Mike

Attachments

• map c1952 Long Acre.jpg
    map c1952 Long Acre.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Mike. Here is a map which shows the lower part of Long acre, as requested

map c1950 lower part longacre.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have any images/photos of Stuart Street, Nechells in the 1960's or before. Members of my family used to live in this street between the late 18, early 19oo's until it was demolished in the late 1960's. I have some family photo's taken in the back but struggling to find any of the front of the houses.

Also is there anyone who had any relatives living in Stuart Street or any stories to tell.

Thank you
Mike
Does anyone have any images/photos of Stuart Street, Nechells in the 1960's or before. Members of my family used to live in this street between the late 18, early 19oo's until it was demolished in the late 1960's. I have some family photo's taken in the back but struggling to find any of the front of the houses.

Also is there anyone who had any relatives living in Stuart Street or any stories to tell.

Thank you
Mike
i had my gran,uncle and aunt live at 41 one the last ones to leave my gran always sent me out to shop on the of sella streets what good times

Hi
Just joined this group.
Has anyone got any photos of Stuart St. in the 1900 to 1940 period.
My Father lived here at number 19.
Thanks
Johnnie.

Back