• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Street furniture

Wish we could see the photo Paul ! I remember stamp machines attached to pillar boxes but not attached to phone boxes. Viv

Thanks Janice, that's great. I did wonder if this was one of the boxes at Coleridge Passage that was more recently converted into a takeaway coffee point. How times change. Viv.

try this
What a wonderful idea! I do not ever remember seeing one of those. Thank you Janice.

Well done Janet! Looks the same, but unable to see the previous photo clearly on the adjacent, wall next to the door opening, looks like an inset machine?

Well done Janet! Looks the same, but unable to see the previous photo clearly on the adjacent, wall next to the door opening, looks like an inset machine?
According to Janice's site the they only produced 50 K4's. The stamp machine was noisy and interfered with telephone calls. Guess the 1930's one in #871 was very large was replaced by the one in my photo which I think is a K6...I may be totally wrong.

Stamp Machine on K4 Telephone Box​

Manufactured by Carron & Co of Falkirk, the boxes were unpopular because of their size (half as big again as the K2 kiosk) and because the stamp machines were excessively noisy during telephone conversations and were not weather-proof, which caused problems with the adhesive on the stamps. A single batch of only fifty kiosks was produced and installed
1692802226060.png1692802364057.png

Stamp Machine on K4 Telephone Box​

Manufactured by Carron & Co of Falkirk, the boxes were unpopular because of their size (half as big again as the K2 kiosk) and because the stamp machines were excessively noisy during telephone conversations and were not weather-proof, which caused problems with the adhesive on the stamps. A single batch of only fifty kiosks was produced and installed
View attachment 183507View attachment 183508
I had forgotten we could get stamps from wall dispensers . I am thinking about the Cadbury's chocolate ones were navy blue.

That makes sense now Alan. I think there's a bus destination sign just visible behind the lampost. Cant say I remember the signs at all. Must ave gone out of use before my time.Viv

That makes sense now Alan. I think there's a bus destination sign just visible behind the lampost. Cant say I remember the signs at all. Must ave gone out of use before my time.Viv
Your post made me remember the old bus stops, a round sign, brown here, on a pole, with a promenade type barrier.

A couple of interesting signs on this 1937 photo. I don't think I've ever seen a pillar box with the sign "Air Mail" on top (right side). Were these signs bus stops (left side) ?View attachment 186057View attachment 186058
As Alan so rightly said they were indicative that this area ŵas required for the corporation buses to load and unload. They were on all the main streets in the City centre.
Bob

Back