• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stour Street - Smarts Buildings.

maggiesgirl

proper brummie kid
Hi everyone
I'm very new to this site and very new to Birmingham history so please forgive me if I'm duplicating anything. I have recently found a new family who appear to have lived in Birmingham and I am trying to find out about a building called Smarts Building (s) on Stour Street. I have seen posts and answers on Stour street but I haven't seen anything on Smarts buildings. Would anyone know if this building was court type housing or where I could look next for any info.
Any pointers would be much appreciated as I don't know the area at all.
Thank you.

The 1889 large scale map shows smarts buildings as a road, though it would also apply to the terrace running to the south of it. By 1913 it has changed somewhat, but I have marked it in red on the smaller scale map

smarts_buildings_2C_stour_st_map_c_1913.jpg

smarts_buildings_2C_stour_st_map_c_1889.jpg

Hi mikejee

Thank you so much, this now gives me a place to start to work with. I was trying to visualise what the housing could have been like, this is great.

Thanks again.

Hi there
I'm new to this site but already amazed with the info Ive found !!
I dont suppose you know which way the house numbers ran on that plan of Stour Street?
My gran lived at Number 4, wondering which end that was.
x

No 4 was on the other side of the road at the opposit eend. Have added no 4 to previous map and also show it in 1889 on larger scale

mapc1889stourstNEendno4.jpg

smartsbuildingsandno4stourstmapc1913.jpg

HI MIKE AND AMANDA;
May i make asuggestion to you both ; and that if one of you may be mike whom probaly the best bet is to check the electrol roll for the period of the mid fiftys for a family nanmed memory whom was my school friend my best mate in fact we was like blood brothers
his father was a jospheth memory and i think is mom was an irene memory whom was living there in the fiftys and i think it was number 47 stour street
it was one of the little tiny houses and the end you showed the corner shop if my memory serves me correctly was a family by the name of white house
i think it was a girl named joycewhom went to the same schol as us she was the closest to tonys house less than a hundred yards but i do not whether
nor not she came under cope street her dad used to drive a big red jagg ; and played with us up he big court yard as i have previuosly said
so i thought if you check for thmemoy family reg ;it will show you which end is stour stret no; 4was
as i said it was close to the shop ; before ; now that could have been the other end of the stret which woud have been four doors from the pub ;
which is listed and showing the pub on the corner called the sweann ; well that pub was revamped inside and out facial ways as well and changed the name which was the bell pub orinionaly and changed the name in around the mid fiftyis to the swan ; and those smart new building i remembe them building them
the shop the other end by the pub was about eight doors or so may be a little more was a shop by the name of davies and the entry up the court yardby that shop there was a bookie runner and a house whom you took betts before watty green was on spring hill
but getting back to numbers also apossiblility wouuld be the pitts house hold which was a rear house
and the taylors family best wishes Astonian

Astonion
Thank you for your suggestion, but we have now identified no 4 on the map in post 5 on the thread.
Mike

Back