• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stockland Inn Hotel

Rod, I have only just seen the photo of you and your beautiful bride coming out of St. Mark's Church on your wedding day. It's smashing photo.
Thanks for posting it. Sorry to be so long catching up on that thread.
St. Mark's is a small and different church and I can understand why you wanted to be married there. I liked the story about the Vicar giving you a talk, etc. We had something similar here in Vancouver and went to several "talks" before we were married. Must have worked because we have been married 32 years!

I only just picked it up Rod its lovely.

By the way is St Marks on Marsh Hill.?I know there was a church there but can't remember the name

Yes, Alf that's the one although the address is Bleak Hill and Marsh Hill. Lots of
hills around there. Not many churches though. There is a Methodist church on Stockland Green a Baptist church on George Road by Brookvale Park and that's it.

Erdington

I used to Live at Crowther Road and Streetly road @ late 70's
Does anyone remember the SHANLEY family?
They went to Ireland 1979

Jennyann, thats the one.

I went to it about twice about 1950 to see cartoons put on by the Vicar he use to serve Cakes, biscuits to a Hall full of Kids, Mom stopped me going, I wondered why, I believe I do now.

She also stopped me going to Choir practice at a Church on Lichfield Road, when the Vicar invited us to two or three of us out for a ride in his car.

Bit of an up-date about "The Stockland"
The Chinese Restaurant (Modern China) that it became closed down a while ago, the building was left alone...until last week when planning permission went up on the doors, seeking permission for a few alterations to able it to be used again as a pub :)

Thats interesting Jayne. I hope it goes back to being a pub with some live music, ideal venue.

I took these photos today, the pub will now be know as the Village Green, it will be a Flaming Grill Family Pub, owned by The Spirit group. Meant to be opening end of July/early August.pub 1.jpgpub 2.jpgpub 3.jpg

That's good news. Maybe there's a move to revive the spirit of the village of Stockland Green around the pub, the shops and the cinema. Fortunately it looks as though many of these buildings have survived re-development, so looks like it has potential. Viv.

Good pub the "Stockland" We went to the Plaza a lot in th 60,s and would rush out and across the road to get a pint in before time. Worked round the back for a time cleaning coaches on Sunday nights when they came back from their tours. Stockland Coaches had quite a big fleet, I remember their star driver was Stan Cottrell, he had been everywhere.

Good pub the "Stockland" We went to the Plaza a lot in th 60,s and would rush out and across the road to get a pint in before time. Worked round the back for a time cleaning coaches on Sunday nights when they came back from their tours. Stockland Coaches had quite a big fleet, I remember their star driver was Stan Cottrell, he had been everywhere.
I worked for Stocklands from 1964 until middle of 1967 then part time driving until 1969. Stans stardom was related to his singing pennies from heaven in the Grand Blackpool where other drivers threw their money to him for charity. I bought Stans Morris Isis off him, would have been 1966. Stocklands had Eighteen coaches whilst I was there including the four parked up during the winter months in Aston.
I will just mention to keep on thread that the Stockland was the first pub I went in to, brown and mild was the recommendation from the drivers which I stuck to until I tasted double diamond.

Last edited:
I worked for Stocklands from 1964 until middle of 1967 then part time driving until 1969. Stans stardom was related to his singing pennies from heaven in the Grand Blackpool where other drivers threw their money to him for charity. I bought Stans Morris Isis off him, would have been 1966. Stocklands had Eighteen coaches whilst I was there including the four parked up during the winter months in Aston.
Cheers nick, during our cleaning duties someone would shout out, "open the doors, its Stan Cottrell" it was like watching royalty arriving. He would regale us with tales of his latest tour then disappear off into the darkness. Classic.

Hi all, does anyone remember the barbers opposite the Stockland pub called Brian's, use to be the fishmongers shop.
I remember the Stockland pub, "Hic". I think someone said the pub is now a Chinese restaurant. There was also a shop opposite where i used to my records.

What’s the difference between a kangaroo and a kangaroot?
One’s an animal and the other’s a Geordie stuck in a lift.

I remember the Stockland pub, "Hic". I think someone said the pub is now a Chinese restaurant. There was also a shop opposite where i used to my records.

Yes Smudger, I remember the joke but I always told it as a Scottsman stuck in a lift.

Here's one for you.......What's the difference between a slipper and a bacon sandwich? If you don't know, watch what you eat for breakfast.

the old stockland pub did become an eating place but for sometime now its been called the village green pub..

lyn

Situated at Stockland Green on the corner of Marsh Hill, Slade Rd and Streetly Rd. First it was built as The Stockland Hotel then it changed to The Stockland Inn and now as I have just got back from their it is Modern China a buffet restaurant and bar and I noted another 2 old pubs I passed had turned into Chinese Buffet Restaurants
First pic 1940's second pic early 50's
Its now closed and up for sale

Nick Phillips

Back