• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steelhouse lane

mikejee, just found IT.
The WILLIAM JENNEY at 117 Steelhouse lane, was the father of "William Wright Jenney & He was the Marine Store Dealer My Great Granfather" .
That makes WILLIAM IN STEELHOUSE LANE My Great Great Granfather.
I had no Idea that any of the Jenney family lived in Steelhouse Lane.
Many thanks
THE BARON (ASTON)

This is a drawing form Robert K Dents book Old and New Birmingham published 1880.

Steelhouse_Lane.jpg

Remember our ancestors all lived in caves a long time ago, except for our politicians of course, who just descended from heaven in a cloud of glory (orperhaps in a pool of muck)

Mike, one of my great grandmothers was living in a cave on the 1851 census with her father and sister. The Rock Houses, at Kinver. If ever we are talking about family trees with people, Ray delights in telling them I am descended from cave dwellers.

Wow Sylvia I remember watching a programme about the rock houses at Kinver, I think one came up for sale. The history is facinating and I feel quite proud to know your great grandmother lived there. What a great piece of family history.

A much less cave like, more highly developed view of Steelhouse Lane in 1906. I believe it was supposed to have been known as Pryors Congreve Street at one time. Viv.

Steelhouse_Lane_formerly_Priors_Conygree_Lane_in_1906~0.JPG

My Ancestors were living in Steelhouse Lane in 1861 and 1871 it was court 15 house no 5
So it was great to see the picture of Steelhouse Lane,even though it didn`t look a nice place to live.

Viv, Steelhouse Lane was originally Well Street, then the name was changed to Steelhouse Lane - Kettle's steelhouses stood there. It was Congreve Street you are thinking about (near the Town Hall).

The name comes from Prior's Conygree, the rabbit warren belinging to the Priory - Congreve Street marked the western side of the former Priory Lands. Congreve Street was given that name in 1795, changing it from Friday Street.

Viv, I think it is easy to be mistaken on that. I knew about where Congreve St got its name, but as the Priory was near Old Square, it's easy to think that Steelhouse Lane might have a name connected to it. I have to be honest, although I had read it before, I did check up first before writing it down. I did not know Steelhouse Lane was Well Street initially, so it's a case of 'we learn a little every day'.

Baron, I have several bits of info, but should they be on the Steelhouse Lane thread? I shall start a new one.

just keep them comming be it starting a new thead, the more you post the more others comment with more INFO on our Great city. thanks

I always thought that the pub opposite the old Post & Mail building in Steelhouse Lane (near Colmore Circus end) was an old pub but looking on streetview it looks more modern. It used to be the Queen's Head. Used to go in there when I worked at Fountain Court opposite. Has it been re-built or has it just had a new frontage added? Viv..

I think it was completely rebuilt. It was also rebuilt in the 19th century from a two storey pub

Right Mike. I don't remember it as a modern pub, but it must have been then. Would have been late 70s/80s. Have a vague memory of it being 'quaint' inside, but maybe it was just cramped. Or could be the glimpse of luminous, purple frontage on Streetview has played havoc with long-term memory! Viv.

lks.jpeg

This is a view from Colmore Row towards Steelhouse Lane about 1946-7.

An interesting picture Stitcher. It seems quiet that day: only one bus, a wartime built bus and no trams to be seen in Steelehouse Lane also none in the West Bromwich, Dudley bay. It looks like the tram tracks, unused since 1939, have been tarmaced over at the point where pedestrians cross the road to the shelter. The end of the shelter seems to have a temporary covering; maybe as a result of blast from the bomb which hit the Arcade opposite as it looks like it is partly a bomb site at this time. Today there are many serious injuries from flying glass caused by terrorist bombings. The nearest car is a fairly new one by the look of the registration letters.

Heello Alan, I have a large number of pictures but most have limited text or information to accompany them, I am glad you enjoy looking at them and I will keep on posting.
stitcher.

This must be roughly the view today. All the shops to the right were probably swept away when the hospital was built. But the buildings to the immediate left-hand side, including the police station (out of view) are, I think, still there. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331905669.080518.jpg

thats correct shortie it was at the top end of the city and crossing great charles street and running down hill to the place which was called the parade
and heading towards the sand pitts which was just virtualy yards from the sand pitts i bleive it was called summer rd . coming down from congreive street in early years ;
and later it was changed to summer hill ;along with the parade section ; on congreive street there was a big green tiled public house -hotel called the white horse
where upon on entry to the building was a foyer and carpeted and you would walk down afew steps to go in ;
around the corner from the old fountain oppersite the museum was the fountain but around the corner of congreive street was the old
register office for marriges it was a red brick tiled place ; i beleive it was the place where my mother got maried as well; which i myself do clearly remember
have a great day ; by the way the road was very wide to cross in its hay day ; to get to these shops and offices along the old reg; offices ;
this was before they ever thought of moving across the way to old broad street ; best wishes astonian;;

vcf.jpeg
Steelhouse Lane looking towards the General Hospital. 1946.

gg.jpeg
A new General Hospital 1897.

Attachments

• img624.jpg
    img624.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 128
Here are two views of the Wesleyan & General building. I've often wondered what buildings were next to the W & G before the Gaumont was built and before the development of Colmore Circus. The first is about 1900 the second is demolition in the 1980s. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336218377.419434.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1336218398.902581.jpg

A slightly unreal postcard view of Steelhouse Lane c.1907. Is this a view from Colmore Row/Snow Hill Station? If so, I can't make out any turning into Bull Street/ Greys to the right. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363448559.943942.jpg

yes guys
you are both correct in saying it does not look right because i can recall coming down colmore row ; and then there was tiny little shops of gun smiths
and they was there in the fortys they was little tiny door ways and little work shop ytpes windows
they was on steel house lane
postie or any body else from the past managed to save any old pics of the old steel house lane and cross check it ypou will come up with the same
conclusion and there was not any twist and turns either they was like little dolls house as i recall myself that being the shops in person ;
and i know about four or five years back we had pictures of them on the forum for the period ;
best wishes astonian;;

Back