• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford Area

Some of you may remember my late wife, Enid Turville who lived in Howden
Place, she had a sister Dianne, and elder brother Horace, (Hoss). Bernard

Hi,
A distant Pedlingham ancestor of mine had a Post Office / tobacconists on Station Road, according to a Trade Directory of 1921. Would anyone be able to pinpoint where about it would have been please.

Hi Lindyloo,

I'ts the shop with 'Players Please' over the window in the third
picture in Post #3. Almost opposite the end of Victoria Rd by
the Station.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Lindyloo,

I'ts the shop with 'Players Please' over the window in the third
picture in Post #3. Almost opposite the end of Victoria Rd by
the Station.
Kind regards
Dave

Thank you so much Dave, I can see it says Post office now you have pointed it out..I really must get my glasses changed !!
I wonder what date the photo before was taken as that is the same row of shops. I've also just found it on Google Maps, so next time I pass that way I will know exactly where it is.
Bernard Pedlingham who had the shop in 1921, published a series of photo postcards of locations in Stechford, one of which I am lucky enough to have and am attaching to this post.
He and his father were also listed in Mary's Road in 1912, one at "Brookside" and the other at "Ellesmere" but unfortunately I think these houses have been knocked down as I found one in 1911 at number 23, but that side of the road appears to be mostly flats now.

Thanks again Dave :)

Stechford BA Ped.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lindyloo,

I lived in Frederick Road from the early 50's to 1965, and
believe it or not, I never walked down Mary Road.

It's one of those roads that you never use unless you are
actually going there, as it doesn't lead to anything!!

Kind regards

Dave

Hello Bernard,

I did not personally know any of the Turville family but I do remember your brother in law Horace was a frequent writer to the Birmingham Mail. I presume that he has now passed on.

Chris Beresford

Hi All
Just read through this thread and found it very interesting all though i didnt live there we used to use the swimming baths and i remember the area as shown it the photos its all changed now not for the better either but its the same for all areas that you used to frequent when we were younger.
Can any one tell me what was on the baths site before or was there an older baths.

phil

Hi Phil,

I think the Baths may have been built in the early 60's. From
memory the frontage where the Baths are now was occupied
by a row of prefabs. There was a walk way through the middle of
the row of prefabs into Manor Park.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Phil, Dave is right.
According to Wikipedia the Baths were opened on 20 June 1962.

Thanks for your earlier comment about Mary's Road Dave :)
Lynne

Found an old picture that I once posted before the site was hacked. This is of a street party and think it is in Cotterills Lane, Stechford not sure when though. If anyone has any idea when it may of been029.jpg

04_14_0.jpg
This pic of the Lido at Stetchford Baths(not one of my own)was on the site before it was hacked,so a big thank you to the original poster.This is how I remember it.

Shady, I don't have any info for you I'm afraid but just wanted to say what a smashing photo it is.

Keegs, another great photo, thats how I remember it too.

Thanks for posting them both.

hi keegs

spent many a sunday morning in there and the baths , when we had finished up to the cafe for a cup of bovril and watch all the nutters diving through stinging eyes (to much chlorine) happy days!
phil

I train spotted on the bridge in Stechford for many many hours, Wonder what ever happened to all the train spoting books we had n the 50s? John Crump Oldbrit Parker, Co USA

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John,

Me too, I only lived about a hundred and fifty yards away in Frederick Road,
and had a panoramic view of the railway and the junction from my bedroom,
but I still did a lot of trainspotting from the bridge.

And yes, I've still got all my refs although they're now pretty tatty!

Kind regards

Dave

I use to walk from my house on Moat Lane Yardley to the Yew tree then take the #11 bus to the bridge. I can still SMELL the smoke and sut as the trains came by. Lots of fun thoes days. The#11 I understand still runs sometimes spent the whole day going to route. stopping when I saw a toy shop or some such, Fun days, John Crump

Hi John,

Yes, they were fun days then weren't they. I walked round the #11 route
a couple of times when in my teens. I don't think I would do it now!

Kind regards

Dave

Hi

Yep Sunday morning on the Bridge. We had no clue a lot of shuffling around.
Id set off around just after 8-00 down Manor Park. We lived at the top close
to the Yardley arms. If the Aston Signal didnt go up we would all trudge back
home.
Suddenly the Aston Line Signals went up. For hours it was every type of Loco
on the Diversion. It was more of interest seeing these huge Locos from the WCML
on our line normally the odd Jubee.

Mike Jenks

View attachment 79985
This pic of the Lido at Stetchford Baths(not one of my own)was on the site before it was hacked,so a big thank you to the original poster.This is how I remember it.
Thanks for the picture of the lido at Stechford baths. It is how I remember it too. It is where I learnt to swim as I failed miserably when we were taken to Woodcock Street baths with the school.

Sunday 12 August 2012 11am USA Time. Just took a real nice bike ride, ON MY PC from my old house at 126 Moat Lane Yardley,up to the YewTree, then on the #11 bus route, Stoney lane to Station Rd Stechford, even stood on the RR bridge as I had stood many many times, Train spotting, Happpy days! Thanks Google and the new age, Wonder what Dad (God Bless Im) would have thought about my doing this from my now home in Parker,Colorado USA

Hi

You do those google runs as well.
It makes life easier if you have never been there
before.
No Semies today

Mike Jenks

Nice, but not the same looking down at that concrete box called a station - Now those wonderul wooden stairs that you could race down, thundering as you go.......Still got them at Water Orton, and I think Acocks Green????

It was The Glebe but changed to the Cock and Bull for about 10 years. I believe it changed back to The Glebe for a while before it was razed.

I was born and grew up in Kitts Green Road. Does anyone remember the Proctors?
Joni
I remember a Derek Proctor - think he was a friend of a friend. Also, believe he had a younger sister but can't think of a name to fit. I seem to remember she had thick, dark hair but may be wrong. I lived in Gillscroft Road, Church Lane end.

Does anyone remember the Co-op club at the Glebe on a Tuesday and Friday? I spent many a happy time there.
Lovely photos, thank you

Hi All
Just read through this thread and found it very interesting all though i didnt live there we used to use the swimming baths and i remember the area as shown it the photos its all changed now not for the better either but its the same for all areas that you used to frequent when we were younger.
Can any one tell me what was on the baths site before or was there an older baths.

phil

My Dad was park keeper at Manor Rec for years. When we moved from Lyndon Road to Hall Green, he used to catch two buses to get back to the Park. It was a killer in the summer, he would be gone at six in the morning and not home till gone eleven at night, folks wouldn't do it nowadays.

That's an excellent picture gallery, thanks for sharing. I was surprised to see that the timber yard was a British Railways property. There is still a timber yard there today.

Hi,

Yes, Cartwright's office just inside the gate on the right was where you could order and pay for cut
timber. They would give you a ticket, and you would walk a fair bit further on until you got to a very large sawmill.

You handed your ticket to the chap there, and he would bring out your order.

Just past the sawmill was a coal yard next to the siding, and coal was stacked at the end of the yard against a fence made of old sleepers
which was at the top of the embankment on the right between Albert Road bridge and Northcote Road.
Coal delivery merchants used to fill up their sacks there, and the lorries were checked out on the weighbridge
by Cartwright's office at the entrance in Station Road.

Kind regards

Dave

I remember a Derek Proctor - think he was a friend of a friend. Also, believe he had a younger sister but can't think of a name to fit. I seem to remember she had thick, dark hair but may be wrong. I lived in Gillscroft Road, Church Lane end.

Does anyone remember the Co-op club at the Glebe on a Tuesday and Friday? I spent many a happy time there.
Lovely photos, thank you

Hi Dido, thanks for replying. Deryck was my brother who had a twin, David. Sandra was our younger sister. I was hoping to reach someone who knew them. I know Gillscroft Road and Church Lane but we used to use the club at Lea Village run by Mrs Divine and her son Robert. x

fantastic photos , bought our first family home 392 flaxley road in 1983 opposite the rail way line just on the bend x

does anyone know if flaxley road used to be known as hangman's lane and if there once were gallows there ?

Hi all,
I lived (very briefly) in the stationmaster's house back in the 80s- I remember there was a mechanism in the cupboard in the living room which presumably would have originally been attached to the bell on the original railway gate before the bridge was built. I also remember the remnants of well worn steps from the rear of the house leading down to the railway platform- long blocked off. It was noisy enough with electric and diesel trains- hate to think what it was like in the steam era! A neighbour who'd lived there for years said it was like the train was coming up the stairs.
Has anyone got any pictures of the house in its original form?

Back