• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Trams

S

Stitcher

The only text to accompany this picture says"on the way to Kings Heath. 1903".

Last edited by a moderator:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The steam tram to kings Heath was not as frequent as to other palces in 1903 , ONLY every 10 mins from John bright St

S

Stitcher

Thanks Mike, I am not a bus or tram buff but I have a few pictures in with all the stuff I am sorting out.

S

Stitcher

Snow on the ground in 1906 as a steam tram travels along Stratford Road. Although this is a steam tram you can see the wires have been installed ready for the Elactric trams.

S

Stitcher

A gang of workmen laying tram tracks on Stratford Road near Farm Road.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi old tram buffs a d members I Never Really Realized About Our Trams Of Yester. Years
That They Was Steam Trams Before They Sucombed To Electric A Electric Shock
I Have Got Picture Of A Postcard,
Which Was A Souvenir Which Was Printed As Souvenir Post Card With a Picture Of The Old Steam Tram
And On The Card Its Printed Steam Tram And The Wording Saying ,
A Souvenir Of The Old Steam Trams, Which Succumbed to An Electric Shock,
31st, Dec, 1906,
===============
Gone , But Not
forgotten,
It Was Souvenir post card of steam trams,the last of which were spirited of the city on the night
Of 31 st Dec,1906 , to a scrap yard in wednesbury,
The. first steam tram routes open end in 1882.and this locomotive was built by Kits on And Co, Of Leeds
I Will TryNd Load This Down Tommorow as well as the pub
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Phil

Retired Layabout
Another photo of a steam tram on Stratford Rd, Sparkbrook at the bottom of Long Street. It seems to have been a popular spot for snapping trams, perhaps it had something to do with Kyotts Lake Depot just down the Stratford Rd or would the depot have been a couple of miles further down the way it was heading at Colgreave Avenue on the border of Hall Green?

Attachments

Roy Blakey

master brummie
I wonder if these ' steam ' tram pullers had the same good old smells and sounds as that of the steam Railway engines.
Photo: Could that be a hanging bell in front of the driver. " Ding a Ling " and off he goes ?
image.jpg

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had not realised that this has already been put on by Viv, but a copy of the postcard on e-bay intrigued me and I tarted it up a bit to that shown below. The line ran from 1886-1906. However the photographer seems to have been a Twigg at what I originally took to be 29 Bloomsbury St. Closer examination showed it might be 291 Bloomsbury St , and there was an Arthur Twigg at 291 bloomsbury St from before the star of the service till after. However up until 1900 Kellys describes him as a tobacconist, and only in 1903 as a photographer . Therefore the photo must have been taken in the steam tram on saltley route A.jpg period 1900-1906

DavidGrain

master brummie
Trams steam locos had to have the motion covered and capable of being driven from either end. I think there was also restriction on the smoke that they could expel through their chimney. These regulations resulted in the box-like shape of the tram engines
TobyCGIpromo.png Toby the Tram Engine from the Thomas the Tank Engine books (from Wikipedia)