• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stanbra Thomas military funeral

illjaorterpa

proper brummie kid
My g.g.g.grandfather Thomas Stanbra b.1819 Fenny Compton, Warks. died 6 September 1876 and apparantly buried in Handsworth church yard. I have been told he had a military funeral on a horse drawn gun carriage. A distant cousin has sent me an old cutting but with no information about where she got it from or date. It is about Handsworth national school memories of a pupil who attended there in 1872 signed H.A.N. One of their memories was being allowed to watch as "a soldiers funeral passing our playground. (This funeral was of Sergeant-major Stansbra (should be Stanbra), Staffords, Handsworth Volunteers" apparantly the stone could be seen at that time in the church yard but I dont get back to Birmingham very often to see if it still exists. On 1861 census he stats occupation as "Chelsea Pensioner, Sergeant Major 3 Battalion Staffordshires" He spent time in East Indies in army. I have searched google and cant find anything about his service, funeral etc or this article about Handsworth National School.

Any suggestions about how I could find out any more information about his funeral or this article?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back