• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Saviours Church Hockley

hi as wood. st saviours church was just opposite farm st infants and juniors where i attended. i will try and find a photo for you. best wishes wales.

Thank you in advance Wales. I dont know how its done but it seems on this forum, you only have to ask!!
The answer lies in the fact that we are Brummies!
regards
Amanda

Dear Amanda,
I have only just noticed your enquiry about St Saviours church Hockley. I was born in Cottage Row, Bridge St West, in the shadow of St Saviours, and was christened there. My sister obtained a very good copy of a photo from the Cenral Library's archives.
Good hunting,
Trevor Bow

hi trevor. i think i have a couple of pics of bridge st west or it may be bridge st. would you like me start a new thread under streets and neighbours and put them on for you. any chance of you putting on the st saviours photo. wales.

Hi Amanda,
I'll try and see if my sister can copy the photo she has of St Saviours, but I don't know when I'll next see her. It would be a great idea to put streets on, because I've tried to find pictures of the neighbourhood I grew up in but haven't discovered much.
Trevor.

hi all as far as i know there isnt a pic of st saviours on the forum...this cracking pic of it was loaned to me today by a friend from the old end...it was on the the corner of villa st and bridge st west...

lyn:):):)

photo is reposted later in thread

its my pleasure amanda...i was very lucky to have a lend of it from our member vine searcher...i attended farm st school and if memory serves me that was on the opposite left hand corner to the church...bridge st west is running accross the pic....

lyn:)

Hi Lyn,
This is a fantastic shot of St Saviours church in Hockley. I lived right next door to it in Bridge St West down a small alleyway containing ten houses, called Cottage Row. At the far right of the photo, I can just make out the chimneys of one of those houses when the photo is enlarged to maximum.
Many thanks for taking the trouble to search it out,
Trevor Bow.

hi trevor..you are very welcome....im so glad the pic means something to you....

Hi Astoness
Have very much enjoyed looking through your excellent pics.of Bridge St.West and also St.Saviour's Church.I lived in Bridge St.West in early 1960s ,my youngest daughter was born there and christened in St.Saviour's.
Off the "top of her head"my wife remembers the name of the vicar at the time as being Rev.Oliver Bartle.Is that correct I wonder or have the years the years distorted her memory a bit

Another smashing photo! Well done Lyn and thanks for posting it.:)

Hi

St Saviour's Mr Bartle was not Oliver. He was CHD Bartle, sometimes called Charles/Charlie; or Henny by Mrs Bartle. He was not an ordained vicar/priest but a Missioner-in-Charge, a salaried lay preacher with administrative duties. CHD Bartle lived in Wretham Road, Handsworth B19, up Hunter's Road from Hockley Brook, and opposite the Catholic church, attendance figures of which he envied as his church drew about 8 people in every Sunday morning, and often fewer. A tired man, he left St Saviour's in late 1961 as his wife had been left two wee cottages in Clifton Junction, Swinton, Manchester area. I think he died around 1965-6.

He was sometimes helped by Reg Webb, another lay preacher whose wife sang in the choir. They were friendly with the Spencer family from Lozells.

Is this info helpful?

hi all as far as i know there isnt a pic of st saviours on the forum...this cracking pic of it was loaned to me today by a friend from the old end...it was on the the corner of villa st and bridge st west...

lyn:):):)

Lyn - my memory is going? Was St Saviours opposite Farm Street school? Mabz :)

thanks wend...i think this is the only pic on the forum of st saviours...one of those hard to get for some reason..although i stand to be corrected...

hi pembroke..its posts like yours that may it so worth my while collecting old pics...the reason i ordered a copy of this church is because it was on the opposite corner to farm st school which i attended..and i didnt know until i showed it our mom that she was christened there 80 years ago...so its of double value to me now...

Hi paul nixon
Thanks for information re St.Saviours's Mr.C.Bartle.It was most interesting and we now know more about him forty eight years later and hundreds of miles from Hockley, than we did at the time.We still have the Baptismal Certificatefor for our daughter, which he will have signed, somewhere in the house.
Regards
Pembroke

Hi astoness
Once a Brummie always a Brummie.Have not lived in Brum for over forty years but had strong connections with Winson Green,Kingstanding and Hockley before I left.As an ex-pat I get a lot of pleasure looking at photos of the Brum I knew and appreciate the efforts of the people who provide them.
Regards
Pembroke

sorry pembroke i forgot to say welcome to the forum..if you are looking for pics of a street or road just type it in the search box top right of the page..any probs just give us a shout...and yes you are right there..once a brummie always a brummie...:)

re Farm Street school: I attended the junior department from maybe 1951 until 1954, and remember the head, Mr C. Smith (ex-RAF, a small fella, lived in Halesown area). Teachers: a Ms Dugarde, a Mr JT Owen from north Wales, a Mr Harley and Mr Peglar (both Welsh), a Mr Mills (very kind, his wife too), a Mrs Foster, a Ms Pollard. And caretaker, a friendly Mr Houlder. Twice we went on a school camp holiday to an ex-naval training base in the hills of Clawd Newydd, north Wales, close to Ruthin, if my memory (and spelling!) is correct. It seemed a long journey by Jacksons' coaches. The mountain views were memorable. We all helped do the spuds and washing up. Bunk beds in small huts, no lights, and a bag of straw to sleep on. And the kids' wash house had cold water only. Anybody else recall these times or trips?

hi paul..mrs dugarde was my teacher at farm st...and i remember mr smith the head...also a mr davies...gosh what a lot of welsh teachers we had...loved my time there....

astoness:)

I remember Miss Dugard also. I also recall Mr Davies and Mr Williams. The teacher that I had prior to leaving was was Mr Berry. Mabz:)

Nice to hear other people's recollections. Does anyone remember the lovely aubern hair Mrs Cottrell, secretary to headmaster Mr Smith? I recall her as kind, patient, quietly supportive to everyone. A few girls I remember around 1953-4 were the reserved Pamela Lunn and Jean Hogan, and energetic, fair-haired and handsome Madelaine Churchley. She WAS really delightful (as was her mom--were they living in Bridge St West?) with friendly sparkling eyes, a great sense of humour. In games and fun she was as active as the lads, a bit like a tomboy and always smiling and even-tempered. Her family life was probably good and encouraging, I'd have thought, unlike other homes I can recall.

I suppose the many Welsh teachers were glad to leave their valleys and smaller communities, tho' our rough old neighbourhood with its bombsites can't have been attractive, can It? As i recall, they lived in Handsworth, Handsworth Wood, Kingstanding, and Ward End, for example.

On the corner over the way from the school was the medical practice of Dr Targett. Another Fram Street building I recall was the Michelin tyre place--they sometimes gave money to the school fund, we were told in my time. And next to the Michelin centre there was a little draper shop run by a Miss Bunch. And the White Swan boozer on the corner opposite Dr Targett was called the Dirty Duck by some of us. Also, part of the school premises at the side of the upper playground was a British Restaurant, something from Wartime I guess, so that bombed-out families and others could get regular hot meals. I wonder how long that was kept going ...?? The entrance was almost opposite the little shop, Bayleys, next to St Saviour's church side garden. We went to the shop for a pennorth of kayli or black liquorice, or Liqorice root plus kayli, all of which made our hands and faces mucky! Those were the days ... but let's hear from other good people, please.

hi paul..i would love to chat more about farm st and the old end but im off later on for a short break so maybe we can chat again when i come back..if you type in farm st in the search box top right of the page i have posted pics of 3 of the corners of farm st...the white swan..the dispensary and farm st school are all there...my gt nan live next to dr targetts surgery..and miss bunch use to tell our mom that she sold the best quality shoes for miles round...hope to talk soon...

cheers

Hi Paul,
I lived right next door to St Saviour's down a little alleyway of ten houses off Bridge St West called "Cottage Row". I left there as an 8 year old when my parents got rehoused on the new Ley Hill council estate in Northfield. I don't know why, but my parents sent us all to Burbury St junior/infants rather than Farm Street school. We were so close to Farm St, we could have fallen out of bed into our desks in the classroom. Having said that, Burbury Street, next door to Lucas's, was only 300 yards down the road.
I believe Farm Street school changed from a primary to a secondary modern school around the late 'fifties. I recall a Mr Berry teaching at Burbury Street. I wonder if it was the same Mr Berry who taught at Farm St ? Whatever, did I not like that man ! I was so frightened of him that I refused to go to school.
I remember Baylays ( Baileys ? ) next door to St Saviours. Was it just a greengrocers or did they sell everything ?
There was also a lad, a bit older than me, that I sometimes knocked about with named Frankie Thacker. He tragically drowned in a canal when he went on a fishing trip with another friend and his father. Apparently, they went off alone and were climbing across some lock gates when he slipped and fell in.
Being very popular, there was a big turnout for his funeral at St Saviours. I'm not sure, but I think that he lived at one of the houses just down from Baileys.
Dr Targett I remember but I didn't know that he practised from the surgery directly opposite the White Swan pub. That was our doctor's, but we always saw a chap who spoke with a very thick foreign accent named Dr Reichenfield (pronounced Reekenfield I think). Apparently, he was Jewish and he had fled Austria with his family before the war on account of the Nazis. As you and others have noted, the original building is still there and when I last went to look some time ago, it was a dentist's surgery. What it is now I don't know.
I find it sad that everything around there is now long gone. They could so easily have preserved St Saviours and the two schools - Farm St and Burbury St. They were all solidly built Victorian buildings of which very few are now left. Luckily, members of the forum have unearthed some excellent photos of the old area which I'm sure, like me, evoke many memories from years ago. Keep up the good work everyone !
Trevor Bow

Hello Trevor -

Thank you. It's good to have gaps in one's knowledge filled in. And I realise that my partial recollections may not always make sense to other people.

You are correct about Baileys: the shop and frontage was always crowded, packed with almost everything. Next door, the little St Saviour's side garden was occasionally used for special photos if the church had a festival or somesuch--I wonder where those photos are now ... And the church caretaker/cleaner was a teeny stooped little old lady, Mrs Sheldon. She lived in a small cottage right next door to the church vestry and back yard, perhaps in the same row of houses as yr family? Her son and his own Sheldon family lived in Heaton Street, the other side of Hockley brook, where I lived. She'd apparently been doing the church cleaning etc for yonks and yonks.

Burberry street junior school was apparently as crowded as Farm St school when I went to the latter--I guess that the late-War and post-War baby boom put pressure on the education authority to offer places everywhere they could. My first schooling (c. 1948-50+) was in Icknield Street Infants, 4 classes sharing the buildings with the recently formed Icknield County Modern school after the 1944 education act. Before the War and then the crowding together of infants and senior boys, Icknield Street school had been one of the George Dixon philanthropic initiatives, offering higher level mixed schooling plus serious adult education in the early hours, before people went to work--apparently Cadburys encouraged this sort of thing in the Hockley area too.

Sometime around 1959-60, AE Walker, head of Icknield sec.mod boys' school, moved to Burberry Street school renamed Harry Lucas and turned it into a mixed secondary modern. Lucases apparently owned the land, hence the new name for the new school. They called in the lease within ten years or so, I believe, and used the old school site for things to do with the big firm's future.

All very interesting, and all gone now ...

Good wishes to everyone --Let's try and build a bigger and better picture from earlier times ...

Back