• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Phillips B'ham

cookie273uk

master brummie
normal_Saint_Phillips.JPG
Saint Phillips Cathedral Birmingham a wonderful oasis of peace in the centre of the city.

Last edited:
Lovely Eric!

I hope you don't mind but I've added your work to my family album as in 1842 my g g grandparents were married there.

Graham.

thats what i was going to ask, if you dont mind, it would be lovely to use this as the picture of the church :shh:

Eric,

I get a lot of pleasure looking at your paintings. Always so full of interest and atmosphere. Thank you for posting them.

Ann

I have no objection to any one down loading any of my paintings and doing what they like with them, although most of them have been sold the copyright stays with me and I am NOT bothered. Only to pleased you like them.:grin2: Eric

For several years my office was overlooking St Philips, almost the same view. It brings back some good memories, thanks Eric.

Eric did you sit and paint it or did you paint it from a photograph.?
It is of course a wonderful painting...Cat

Catkin,there are 3 ways I create a painting,(1)direct on the spot (usually abroad when the light is more constant (2) from sketches on the spot with added colour notes, my favourite way and (3) digital camera when time is limited or its a busy street scene etc... were it would be inconvienent or impossible any other way.
Of course if I am doing subjects of time past, such as my tram paintings, then I have to use old, usually black and white pics plus memory and imagination and artists licence, at 78 years old I have no problem with tram colours, my usual means of travel when I was young.
RE St Phillips see post below. Eric

Catkin, St phillips was painted from a pencil sketch with added colour notes plus a close up pic of the dome for the details. Eric

Eric, I also put my post on your other thread, but would like to add that my G G Grandfather's children were baptised at St Philips so I think of them when I see a picture of St Philips. Thank you for sharing your great paintings. Anthea:)

Stitcher, what a wonderful print of a beautiful watercolor, artists of that era where certainly spoilt for subject matter. Do you know who the artist is ??

Hello Eric, unfortunately the only information that was in the newspaper is still attatched to the picture.

You have no need to thank me Polly, I am glad you like it.
It is a magnificent building but alas, a few quiet moments in the grounds has gone forever.

Stitch's picture #18 is possibly the oldest I have seen. It seems to show an unpaved pathway between trees along where Colmore Row would be...if only it continued to the right a bit more we could have seen the streetscape. Never the less a wonderful view from a viewpoint not seen before. I wonder what the soldiers presence means.

Too right Stiticher. It looks so peaceful on the picture you have posted - it is hard to imagine it like that today.

Back