• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Peters And St Davids Church Water Orton

roger a

master brummie
I was wondering if anyone knew if st peters and st pauls church in Water Orton has ever had a steeple?it looks to me as if it did.

Attachments

• St Peter & st Paul.jpg
    St Peter & st Paul.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 0
  • waterortonchurch[1].jpg
    waterortonchurch[1].jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
It looks to me that it did have one once. Sometimes they were taken down if unsafe and to expencive to repair. My gt uncle William Fredrick Bratt was a choir master and oganist around 1870-90 in Water Orton but I am unsure which church.:)

This from Wikipedia

A Chapel of Ease was erected here in the 14th century to save the villagers trudging through the often flooded Tame Valley to the Parish Church at Aston This was replaced by the present church and all that survives of the Chapel are the listed remains of a Medieval Cross and the graves in the churchyard. The present Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul was built in 1879 for £4000 to a design by Bateman and Corser. It had a fine spire, which unfortunately had to be dismantled in the 1980s due to the effects of atmospheric pollution. (This may have been due to the three electricity generating stations that were at nearby Hams Hall at the time.)

More interesting info on the parish and church on the site.:)

Back