• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Pauls Look Ups

Hi,
Could someone see if they can find the marriage for Edward Willis and Mary Ann Plowman in 1879. I would like to know who the witnesess were if possible.
Thanks
Mand

PS Happy New Year to all and Happy hunting x

Are you sure the marriage took place at St.Paul's? I have had a look on the Freebmd and the marriage was registered in the June 1/4 of 1879, so ar you able to confirm. If so, i will look up next week when i go to the Birmingham Ref Library.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve, thats a very kind offer.

As far as I am aware they were married in St Pauls, but that is second hand information.

Mand

Right. Edward Willis , a bachelor, and a labourer of Graham street married Mary Ann Plowman, a 19 year old spinster, of Graham Street, on the 2nd June 1879 at St.Paul's church, Birmingham. Edward's Father was John Willis, a Farmer. Mary Ann's Father was Alfred Plowman, a Baker? edward signed the register, Mary Ann left her mark X. Witnesses were William Plowman, left his mark X, and two others who's signatures i can't quite make out. I have a copy of the marriage cert which i got of the microfilm. It is not a very good one i'm afraid. If you IM your e mail address i will send you a copy.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all the info, thats great. I hope you are not out of pocket getting a copy of the cert. As soon as i work out the IM thing i'll send my email address!

Best wishes
Mand

I have arranged to view the burial register at St Paul's tomorrow (Thursday) to see if I can help someone with a query on another thread.

If there is anyone else who needs information for which they have specific dates and names, please add them to this thread before midday (GMT) Thursday and I will try to find the entries for you.

Some success on my visit. I met with Jacqui and Dennis and we looked at the memorial inscriptions book. There is no graves register or plan as the result of some 'reorganisation' in the graveyard in the 1890s (see the attached)
I took the photo of the church from the footbridge over Great Charles Street - it shows the dominant position of the church - I was just about on a level with it!

Didn't find the information for Lee at St Pauls (found what he needed at library and have added it to the Mitchell thread) - but did find some Elkington plagues for Judy (which I'll add to an Elkington thread)

Thanks so much for posting this, it's another interesting snippet about St. Pauls - lovely church and well worth a visit!

Hi there,

Please can anyone tell me when the last burials took place at St Paul's Church?

I have family burials there through into the 1830s. But if two children of a family died in the early 1840s (whose siblings were already buried there) were they likely to be buried at St Paul's, or had the graveyard already closed by then? They do NOT appear to be interred at Key Hill.

Many thanks

Jane Jackson

St Paul's graveyard was closed in 1861 and laid out as a garden in 1894. Grave plots already owned will still have burials after the closing date.

Thank you Wendy, that is brilliant. In that case, possibly the parents also ended up being buried there. It is now worth me checking the records at the Library.

Thanks again,

Jane

St Paul's

Hi
Can anyone help me with with finding the following?

i have traced a relative who's funeral was in 1842 at St Paul's Birmingham. Would he of been buried in the church grounds or elsewhere, if so where would he be?

Thank you
Michelle x

Re: St Paul's

Hi Michelle,
Presumably buried in the Churchyard - If you have Kathleen Dayus's book - there is a pic of it full of headstones!
Almost all have now been removed. (Headstones, not bodies)
Brian

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22975
may have some detail that helps although you have to go some way down the page before you get anything on St Paul's. There's something about the church being used as a chapel of rest for St Martin's. I don't know if that means they did funeral services for other churches and the people would be buried elsewhere but I would suppose it's possible.

Thank you for that I will have a look at it now. If this was the case and he was buried elsewhere would it be possible it was Handsworth Cemetery?
Michelle x

Hi Wam,

St Pauls, was built to ease the pressure on St Martins, 'Chapel of Ease'. Since Birmingham was growing too fast for the Parish Church to cope. Records were still kept at main Church. Later it becomes a Parish Church in it's own right, keeping it's own Register.
It did it's own baptism's, Burials & Burials.

It was still possible, like today to have a Burial service, with the Burial elsewhere, But usually only once the Burials have ceased at the Churchyard.
Try looking at www.bmagh.org - they do a range of CD's of Births, Marriages, Burials and may have one for St Pauls.
If it was only a service, it would be because the deceased lived in the Parish - he could be buried at almost any cemetery - the nearest to the residence is no guarantee.
Usually more to do with availability of Cemetery, Undertaker & family for the date & time preferred.

Brian

If you give us a name we may be able to help futher.

His name is John Floyd 1789 -13th March 1842 age 53 his abode was Little Hampton StBirmingham
Ref Dro 35 archive roll kM164 (for anyone who knows what that is)
michelle x

Hello Michelle,
There is a burial listed on Ancestry for John Floyd, at St. Pauls, with the same details that you have already, no further information.
I don't think there are any maps available of plot numbers. As Brian said there aren't many headstone left now either, but at least you now know where he is buried.
Hope this helps,
rosie.

Thanks everyone

if I want to ask about something else regarding someone and something different do I start a new thread?
michelle x

Hi Michelle - check existing threads re name or church etc first to see if there is an existing one that covers the surname or church, etc. (There's plenty to choose from!)

I've just discovered that my G G Grandmother was buried at St Paul's.

[FONT=&quot]Sarah Hateley wife of John of Water St age 62 27.11.1845 St Pauls Birmingham[/FONT]

Nick

When did St. Paul's change from being a 'chapel' to a 'church' - or were the terms used interchangeably from the beginning?

Mark

Back