• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Pauls C Of E School Spencer Street

james houston

Mr Sparks
I have searched high and low for any photographs of St Pauls school Spencer St/Warstone lane but without Success it was demolished to make way for offices in the late 60s if anyone has any information or photograph's i would be very grateful.Jim

I remember tall glass filled screens between the classrooms on the 1st floor of the school,the ground floor was mainly the Hall for daily assembley and P E.Thanks, JIM.

james i will keep looking for a pic of the school but so far like you i have had no luck....

lyn

Thanks Lyn,i keep on trying to find any information about this school but keep hitting a wall if anyone can help this is the site that will do it,the Birmingham History Forum has the most helpful people i have ever come across,many thanks to everyone.Jim

james im hoping to get to the library next week so i will check the archives for a pic of st pauls for you..

lyn

Little bit of history about St. Paul's C of E Primary School. Hope you have some luck finding out more about the school in the Birmingham Archives, Lyn.

ST. PAUL'S C. OF E. PRIMARY SCHOOL, Spencer Street.(27) Sunday sch. built in parsonage garden (38) 1832–3 with Nat. Soc. aid.(29) St. Paul's Sch. (i.e. day sch.) opened 1846.(22) Accom. 773, comprising 3 rooms and teacher's house.(38, 1, 29) In 1846 there were a master, 2 mistresses and an assistant.(30) H.M.I. reported 1846 that buildings were bad, especially the G and I dept. He gave good reports 1847–9, but G dept. then declined. In 1852 a new system of payments was introduced by which the funds grew greatly; children of manufacturers and shopkeepers paid 9d. a week or 7s. 6d. a quarter in advance, children of journeymen 6d., and those of other working men 3d. In 2 depts. 1869.(10) Fees 1874: 2½d.–6d.(11) Enlarged 1897. (21) Reorganized 1912 for G, I; B transferred to St. Paul's, Camden Drive.(1) Altered and reorganized on closure of St. Paul's, Camden Drive, 1939 for MI, and 1950 for JI. Became an aided sch. 1952.(21) Accom. 1961: 6 classrooms, hall.(28) In 1952 the sch. held c. £1,500 endowment, from the proceeds of sale of St. Paul's, Camden Drive.(21)
ST. PAUL'S C. OF E. SCHOOL, Camden Drive. St. Paul's (Camden Drive) National Sch. opened 1869 comprising 1 schoolroom and 1 classroom.(22, 1, 29) Accom. 333 (21) I, under 1 mistress.(22) Fees 1874: 2d.–3d.(11) Enlarged 1895 and reorganized for G and I.(21) In 1899 the sch. had an endowment of £10 a year.(1) Reorganized 1912, in connexion with St. Paul's C. of E. Sch., Spencer St., for B only. Closed 1939. The building and site were sold in 1940 and the proceeds transferred to St. Paul's C. of E. Sch., Spencer St.(21)

Back