• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Matthews school, Duddeston (Nechells) Newbie!

shavedfish49

master brummie
Hi everyone I'm new to the site. I'm looking for pics of my first school St Matthews, Lupin Street, across the road from the church of the same name.
Can still remember those large fireplaces roaring with coke fires in the early 50s.
I was born and brought up in Godwin Street, Ashted off Gt Lister Street. Prior to WWII our terrace was known as Godwin Terrace but some of the properties were bombed during the war leaving only four addresses in the row so we became 'back of 65' as the terrace name was dropped.
Any pics of Godwin Street would be a bonus too!

I have over 1300 people in my tree and am always looking to add more information on STANNERS, MANTON, DANIELS, TYE.

st matthews school

hello and welcome
you should find plenty of help on here.try the search box on the toolbar.type in lupin street. there seems to be a lot of information.the only photo i could find was on friends reunited.which mentions duddeston manor school.but the photo is much older.and i can only assume it may be st matthews.they mention a name of linda sollis on there.hope this may be a starter.for all i know this may be another old school in nechells.don't know the area very well. View attachment 10728

St Mattews

Also went to St Matthews. in the pic, just to the left behid the teacher was the headmistress office, Mrs Goldsmith was her name and the deputy was Mr Southgate. Also Miss Lawler mrs Jones . Been so long ago now cant remember any more. :shocked:

I used to go to a St Matthews School 1968/69 ish - BUT I do remember it being a newer building by a church - were there two schools with same name?

I used to meet a teacher off her bus at the Rocket Pub and walk with her to school - because mum used to take the younger ones to Nursery school across a green in Nechells.

First class Miss Morgan, then Miss Hackett then Miss Field not sure about Miss Jones,Mr Southgate top class the only other male teacher was Mr Jenkins. There was another teacher who took drama classes but cannot remember her name at the moment. I have trouble posting a pic but the rear view of Saint Matthews School can be found on a pic called Lister Square.

Hi cabman2/elizabeth1 & GER22VAN.
Sorry don't remember the teachers names. I was there in the mid-50s, at the old original school. Following the 'slum' clearance a new school was built and as far as I know carried the same name.
The Lister Square pic only shows a fraction of St Matthews in the background. I'd really like to find a better pic of the front of the school showing the building, now that would bring back memories.
Perhaps I should ring Birmingham library to see if they hold a pic, can't lose anything by asking.

Saint Matthews School.

Shavedfish49. I was there from about 1943 or 4 to about 1949, I dont know
of any other photographs that exist, but the Central Library do have photograph collections on the 6th floor " Local Studies " that may include some. There was a card index for the photographs held in small drawer cabinets near the information desk but that may have all changed after the re-vamp in January. You may have to look under " Saint Matthews School " or " Lupin Street " but I am sure they will put you right if you see them.
Not sure if the new school was known as Duddeston Manor School.

GER22VAN. Duddeston Manor school I believe became Heartlands High School, in Great Francis Street it's the large comprehensive. St. Matthews Church of England school is a single story building in Duddeston Manor Road.

Re: St Matthews school, Duddeston (Nechells)

Hello, i went to the old school and the new one, think picture is about 1966-67.
Me and my brother in middle bottom row

Steven, did you Know a girl by the name of Elaine Fisher? She lived in the flats on Gt Lister St just opposite the Engineering Factory.

I remember Elaine Fisher. Her Mum Winnie, was a friend of my Mothers for years. I think they, Winnie and Elaine, visited us every week. We lived in the flats in Duddeston Manor Rd.
regards
a.s.wood

Hi I went to St Matthews from 1947- 53, remeember Mr Southgate very well, he had a bad habit of throwing the blackboard rubber if you didnt pay attention, I was born in Adam St just of Great Lister ST , Morgans the chemist used to be on the corner and on the other side facing our house there was a scrap yard believe it was called Jack Parsons, I am also a new member just finding my way around the site its brilliant

Hi everyone I'm new to the site. I'm looking for pics of my first school St Matthews, Lupin Street, across the road from the church of the same name.
Can still remember those large fireplaces roaring with coke fires in the early 50s.
I was born and brought up in Godwin Street, Ashted off Gt Lister Street. Prior to WWII our terrace was known as Godwin Terrace but some of the properties were bombed during the war leaving only four addresses in the row so we became 'back of 65' as the terrace name was dropped.
Any pics of Godwin Street would be a bonus too!

I have over 1300 people in my tree and am always looking to add more information on STANNERS, MANTON, DANIELS, TYE.

Hi shaved fish49, we stayed in Revesby walk over the top of news agent Keith and Tracy my two children both went to st Mathews, give you some names the Robinsons, Gebhards, Ray smith, the Nechells unionist club, ring any bells. we had a Dr tye that was our Dr My wife was born in Lupin street the Robinsons she also was at st Mathews school.... Bill Pearson. Mr southgate the head teacher .....

Mr Southgate, Mrs Goldsmith, Miss Morgan, all the Teachers of that year.. Bill the wife has a group photo of her at 6-8 years old she is 68 now will that help....

Hi Bill welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find a lot of memories flooding back and there's some great people on here to help you out.
Did I read your message correctly, your wife has an old pic of the children at St Matthews? If so please, please post it. Pics of the school are as rare as rocking horse droppings!!!

Re: st matthews school

hello and welcome
you should find plenty of help on here.try the search box on the toolbar.type in lupin street. there seems to be a lot of information.the only photo i could find was on friends reunited.which mentions duddeston manor school.but the photo is much older.and i can only assume it may be st matthews.they mention a name of linda sollis on there.hope this may be a starter.for all i know this may be another old school in nechells.don't know the area very well. View attachment 10728

Hi Winston,
That is St Mathews school the girl on the back row left next to Teacher is my wife Audrey Robinson, third row down third one in is Janet Gregery, we are trying to enlarge to get better Picture. Thanks for that Bill..

Last edited:
My dad's brothers and sisters went to St Matthews school they are all in their 80's now and lived in Coleman Street.

Hi Winston, yes it me who knew Elaine Fisher and I have been in contact with her on F/U for over a year.she was a much younger sister of a girl I was friends with .they lived next door to us in Gt Lister St.

My dad's brothers and sisters went to St Matthews school they are all in their 80's now and lived in Coleman Street.

Pam1511
Hi My wife grew up in Lupin street Nee Robinson, do you know gregory's, Copestick, the Tudders, Edwards in Henrey street. lots more .... also Slilks on corner of Coleman street, salvation army on other corner. Bill..

Hi
Yes I remember all those names, mine was Jeffries, we [all 8 = 5 boy 3 girls lived in Adams street in a small 2 bedroomed house, with brewhouse and lavey at bottom of the yard

Hi
Yes I remember all those names, mine was Jeffries, we [all 8 = 5 boy 3 girls lived in Adams street in a small 2 bedroomed house, with brewhouse and lavey at bottom of the yard

Hi thanks for the reply, could you give me some indication of your age? that would help us establish the years we know about.

Me I'm 70 next week the wife 68, have son 47 daughter 43 we all grew up and went to St mathews old and new school. My school was Eliot street Nechells and lived in Cook street. Bill

Hi thanks for the reply, could you give me some indication of your age? that would help us establish the years we know about.

Me I'm 70 next week the wife 68, have son 47 daughter 43 we all grew up and went to St mathews old and new school. My school was Eliot street Nechells and lived in Cook street. Bill

Hi again if you look at the picture thats me in the yellow shirt my son standing at the back of me with Paul Merson ( Aston Villa) player last year.. Bill.

Hi
I will be 67 in Sept at the school 47-53, have daugh 44 sons 43-35 they all went to st matts, grand-duaghters 24 - 22 also went there

Hi
I will be 67 in Sept at the school 47-53, have daugh 44 sons 43-35 they all went to st matts, grand-duaghters 24 - 22 also went there

Hi again,

You was in school the same time as Audrey the wife, she worked for Harbournes the news agent in Reversby Walk and the one in Great Lister street. Keith my son and Tracy the daughter both did Duddy must know you, was Kenny Jefferies a relative ? me and Ray Smith did the local disco called touch of class. would Paul Gebhard ring a bell, John and Fred Robinson? we all used the E.B.C.C. also Bunny Mann, and Brian Mann, regards Bill...

Back