• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Mary's C of E Infants & Juniors School /Charles Arthur Street Secondary Schoo

D

dollyferret

its a marvellousthing the internet and this site for rekindling old memories,mom who will be 87 on December 4th has just got her head down for her usual afternoon kip,when she starts talking about where she lived 5/10 powell st aston,her two friends from powell st were lily and florry colingwood ,this is about 1925 (mom sometimes forgets what she did an hour ago)but she just said she can remember sitting behind these two and watching the nits and lice running through their hair as if it was yesterday ,they all went to st marys on avenue rd/whitehead st.she then trots out most of the names of the families who lived in the back house of powell st,freddy mills ,elsie ,franky ,dolly slater.Ike turley,the capewells,doris and wally handley,dolly wilkins,the mathews and our lot,the findons(stella ,irene and freddy the kids,mom and dad evelyn and fred.its really good to hear her talk about it as she never did except to say how hard it was and so poor,its good that now people are looking up their ancestry before its too late.i have started to ask her about ours but she said her generationnever thought to ask,it wasn't any interest to them.i am not really into finding who were mine as i knew both my Gran's and grandads but nothing before that,the only thing that does intrigue me and mom is(too late now tho) is my Gran's mother was a jenny stinton from great witley,a wealthy family who were famous for something ,but dont know what) my gran was then disowned by the family when she married my grandad who had a horse and cart and worked for t&s elements on salford bridge,two families at different ends of the social scale,but mom never bothered to ask how they ever came to meet each other.(i have always had this little fantasy that one day someone will tell me i have just inherited witley court as i am the only bloodline left,(still holding my breath).when gran and grandad got married in 1909 he moved from cromwell st into powell st and thats where mom was born.its such a shame that generation wasn't as nosy as we are now.HANG ON I THINK THE QUEENS EQUERRY IS KNOCKING ON THE THE DOOR WITH A BIG KEY :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Pete the is a Jennie Stinton living with her parents in Cotheridge wWorc on the 1861 and 1871 census. She was chistened 8/6/1856, Jenny Clewer Stinton, her father is Samuel and mother Jane, brothers Walter, John amd Thomas. Samuel was a farmer and by 1871 had three servants. Jennie was married in Cotheridge to James Powick in 1874. Could this be your Jennie do you think?

The one Stinton I have heard of is Harry, he worked for the Worcester porcealin company and painted on porcelain. he is famous for his work today.

di what a treasure you are,as soon as the name clewer was read to mom,that started her mind going,shes the lady all right,mom said she must have married again to a man named morgan who kept the pub the dog at dunley where my nan was born.thank you so much di,thats solved an ancient problem.
if this harrys any good on pots ,he can nip round here and paint my kitchen dooras i cant be botthered :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

:angel: Hi Pete, Thought I wait for your answer to Di before posting this from the LDS site:

JENNY CLEWER STINTON
Female Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 08 JUN 1856

Parents:
Father: SAMUEL STINTON
Mother: JANE

Marriages:
Spouse: JAMES POWICK
Marriage: 1874 , , England

JAMES POWICK
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 14 NOV 1847

Death: 04 DEC 1877

Burial:

Parents:
Father: JAMES POWICK
Mother: MARY ANN BERROW

Marriages:
Spouse: JENNY CLEWER STINTON
Marriage: 1874 , , England

my two favorite ladies,di and pom,love you both.what does LDS stand for pom :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Yep, Jenny married again and here she is living in Herefordshire in 1881. I guess she married a widower, most of the  the children are too old to be hers.

Name: Jenny Clewer Morgan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1857 
Relation: Wife 
Spouse's name: Walter
Where born: Cotheridge, Worcestershire, England

Civil Parish: Whitbourne 

County/Island: Herefordshire 

Street address: Brook House
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Bromyard 
Sub-registration district: Brockhampton 
ED, institution, or vessel: 12 
Neighbors: View others on page 
Household Members: Name Age
Jenny Clewer Morgan 24 
Seabert Jane Morgan 11 
Stella Adela Morgan 1 
Walter Morgan 37  Farmer
Walter Morgan 13 
Harry Seabert Powick 5

After looking at the 1891 census I wondered where Walter Powick was living in 1881, I found him age 6 still in Cotteridge with his grandmoher Jane Stinton, who by then was a widow, but still farming

By 1891 Jennie and Walter had left the farm and taken over the Dog Inn. The family has grown, and you can see the Powick children. she gets her age wrong, but that's par for the course on a Census.

Name: Jenny Morgan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859 
Relation: Wife 
Spouse's name: Walter
Where born: Cotheridge, Worcestershire, England

Civil Parish: Areley Kings 
Ecclesiastical parish: Areley Kings 
County/Island: Worcestershire 

Street address: The Dog Inn

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Martley 
Sub-registration district: Witley 
ED, institution, or vessel: 6 
Annie Green 17  Servant
Matthew Perkins 24  Boarder
Amy Morgan 4 
Annie Morgan 10 
Arnold Morgan 6 
Cecil Morgan 8 
Evelyn Morgan 4 months 
Harry Powick 14 
Jenny Morgan 32 
Jenny Morgan 9 
Stella Morgan 12 
Tom Morgan 10 
Valentine Morgan 3 
Walter Powick 16 
Walter Morgan 45 Publican

:angel: Pete I've emailed links to LDS and FreeBMD sites to you.
You will need the death certificate, to tell you what he died of, details below:

From FreBMD site:
Deaths Dec 1877
Surname  First name(s)  Age  District  Vol  Page 
POWICK  James            29  Bromyard  6a 354

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LDS Site
WALTER RICHARD POWICK 
  Male     

Event(s):
Birth:  1875   , , England

Christening: 
Death:  13 FEB 1942   

Burial: 

Parents:
  Father:  JAMES POWICK
  Mother:  JENNY CLEWER STINTON 

Need more help ???  let us know and we will try O0

Re: St Mary's C of E Infants & Juniors School /Charles Arthur Street Secondary S

Dollyferret...This may be the link to the Stinton's. Members of the Stinton family were very famous china painters at the Royal Worcester factory for one hundred and sixty years. You can read about them here. https://www.abcir.org/stinton-dynasty.html The Stinton family crest is on this site https://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/stinton-family-crest.htm
Great Witley is about l0miles from Worcester.....beautiful countryside.

Re: St Mary's C of E Infants & Juniors School /Charles Arthur Street Secondary S

PLEEEEEEEEZ don't tell him that he's got famous people in his bloodline......he's insufferable enough as it is.

cannot believe all this wonderful imfomation for us :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
frank buggar off i am too busy polishing moms tiarra ,me unbearable,bet you aint had yer kitchen door painted by a bloke who paints pots for a job.wait till charlie and camilla pop in for a days ferreting ,i will tell her to bar you ever coming back here
off to pratice my courtseys now you peasant

:angel: Now Now Mr Dolly and Fran-My-Man just take a look at this then:

1841 Census

Piece: HO107/1147/8 Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 24
Civil Parish: B'ham (St Thomas) Ecclesiastical Parish: -
Folio: 48 Page: 17
Address: 221 Bristol St

Surname   First name(s)   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where Born   Remarks   
    STINTON   Richard   M   39   Bricklayer    Outside Census County (1841)         
    STINTON   Sarah   F   42       Outside Census County (1841)     

COLLIER   Lucy   F   50   Poulterer    Outside Census County (1841)         
    COLLIER   Edward   M   49   Veterinary Surgeon  Outside Census County (1841)     

JONES   Jemima   F   26   Poulterer    Outside Census County (1841)         
    COLLIER   Edward   M   12       Outside Census County (1841) 

Don't ya just luv it ... :smitten: :smitten:
O0 :2funny: O0 :2funny: O0 :2funny: O0 :2funny: O0 :2funny: O0 :2funny:   

None of mine Darlin'......my lot come from Leigh in Lancs way back :)

Dolly, Treasure every second spent with your Mother and get as much information on her life as you can, its priceless . ;)

Here is Samuel Stinton and wife Jane, Jenny's parents , in 1851. there is no address against their entry but it seems they are workng for the farmer at Middle Lightwood. In 1861 They are farmig Lower Ligtwood.

Name: Samuel Stinton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1805
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Jane
Where born: Clifton on Yore, Worcestershire, England

Civil Parish: Cotheridge
County/Island: Worcestershire

Street address: Lower Ligtwood

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image

Registration district: Martley
Sub-registration district: Martley
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household schedule number: 40
Jane Stinton 34
Samuel Stinton 46

View

:angel: Hi Fran so did some of the Stintons. That's why they have Outside Census County next to their name. O0 :2funny:
STINTON Robert M 42 Merchant Seaman Leith Outside Census County (1841)
There were quite a few families on the 1841 cen' from Leith that settled in Brum for some reason.

marvellouse aint it,i have relatives who made a fortune out of pots and me,aint got one to pee in :2funny:

Since when did that stop ya..........remember that time when we were out on our Motor bikes and it was pouring with rain, and we stopped at a pub's outside toilet. You were in so much of a rush that you undid your flies and then peed down th inside of you leggings and into your boots :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: then had to ride all the way home with your boots full of pee :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: But don't worry.......I won't tell anyone. ::)

Chris, it was not Leith, but Leigh. We got as far back as Adam Collier b 13/2/1813 d 13/2/1859 and his wife was Alice Gregson. Unfortunately, the church records were destroyed in a fire and Dad couldn't get back any further. So it looks like we all started with......ADAM :D

:angel: Ok sorry Fran :-[... " 'n here's me ferretin in the past thinkin' you'd be proud to be a rellie of Mr Dolly an his ritch mob" O0 :2funny: :smitten:

If it was Atilla the Hun......I wouldn't mind.

Back