• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Martins Church, Birmingham And Marriages.

florna

knowlegable brummie
I have 3 or 4 female ancestors who were married in St Martins Church, Birmingham in the late 1800's and early 1900's but did not live in Birmingham. Is there likely to be any reason for this?
Any thoughts please
Dave

I have 3 or 4 female ancestors who were married in St Martins Church, Birmingham in the late 1800's and early 1900's but did not live in Birmingham. Is there likely to be any reason for this?
Any thoughts please
Dave
Hallo Dave

it is my experience that if one spouse was from Birmingham and lived within the parish boundary , then they would be allowed to marry at St. Martins. They may have given a false address which was the case, when my mother married. She lived in an adjoining parish, but wanted to be married in St. Martins Church, so gave the address of a friend, I'm assuming they didn't ask for verification in those days. My father lived in Rednal so he was definitely out of the parish! Hope this helps?

Back