• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Bartholomews (Masshouse Lane) Burials

Shortie

master brummie
Does anyone know if there is a particular 'rule' with regard to burials in churches. For instance, my family who lived in Cardigan Street, off Curzon Street all married (the girls anyway) at Aston Parish Church, yet St Bartholomews was only a few hundred yards away. I am presuming this is because St Barts was Birmingham, and Cardigan Street was Aston at the time. Does this rule apply to burials? I have found three burials at St Barts, one of which may be mine, but am I just hoping in vain? I would appreciate any comments please.

I am more inclined to think that the churchyard may have been closed to burial's at this time

Does anyone know if there is a particular 'rule' with regard to burials in churches. For instance, my family who lived in Cardigan Street, off Curzon Street all married (the girls anyway) at Aston Parish Church, yet St Bartholomews was only a few hundred yards away. I am presuming this is because St Barts was Birmingham, and Cardigan Street was Aston at the time. Does this rule apply to burials? I have found three burials at St Barts, one of which may be mine, but am I just hoping in vain? I would appreciate any comments please.

Well Horsencart, I have already checked the date of the churchyard closing, and my death was before that. I am speaking around 1853, St Barts did not close until 1861 for ordinary burials, but family vaults were open until 1899. I did not give a date either! I have found three burials in 1853 which are the same name as the person I am looking to find. I am having decorators in shortly need to get out of the way, so will be coming into Birmingham to check out a few films. I don't want to be looking at the wrong ones! This is why I asked the question about Aston/Birmingham and burials. Nice of you to reply, it shows that someone at least is looking at my query!

Back