• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Barnabas Erdington Memorial

pjmburns

master brummie
1925 e roll has a Leah Arnolds living at 15 Bright Terrace. Wonder if she remarried?
Marriage Aston in 1919 of Leah Shaw to George Arnold but it is Arnolds on the e roll. Actually by 1930s it is Arnold on the e roll. Not sure it is right person - on 1939 there is a daughter (I assume) Rose but her birth is registered with mmn Smith. Not sure where that leaves us.

Last edited:

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Not having much joy with an Erdington connection. In 1881 they were living at 53 Henry Street, which is in the parish of St Matthew, and neither parent appears to have been christened according to familysearch.org Furthermore, in 1911, the family were still living in Lord Street, albeit at a different house.

That is probably her second marriage, Janice, as we think he was killed in 1917 and the 1920 Electoral Roll form for 1920 would have been filled in in October 1919. That seems fairly good circumstantial evidence so far to tie John/Leah to the soldiers Effects record, but we're still lacking the link to St Barnabas or Erdington. Is Elizabeth Wright still at Brighton Terrace in 1925?

EDIT: Harry Wright died 1 Qtr 1913 Aston R.D. Vol 6d Page 613 - that ties in nicely for Leah & her mother to move in together. Harry Wright was buried at Witton in February 1913.

EDIT: And here's Leah & George Arnold at 15 back of 144 Guildford Steet in 1939 with daughter Rose, the same name as given to Leah's younger sister. Sadly Rose Leah Witcomb (nee Arnold) was buried at Witton Cemetery also in 1969.

Maurice :cool:

Attachments

• Leah Arnold 1939.jpg
    Leah Arnold 1939.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

pjmburns

master brummie
OK so why is Rose mmn Smith? It confused me.
1922 e roll has this at 15 Bright Terrace. In 1927 Joseph Cockayne has been replaced by William Taylor - perhaps they took in lodgers?
1611505190245.png

Last edited:

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Janice,

I presume you're referring to Rose (Leah) Arnold? She was born before they were married so I guess that George had Rose from a previous relationship (married or otherwise) and the mother's maiden name was Smith.

Maurice :cool: