• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Andrews Schools Ada Road Bordesley Village

deanovilla

proper brummie kid
Hi All l have old school classroom photos , of st Andrews road junior and infants (Ada Road ) dont know how to load up , they go back to around 1940s , l have over a 100 photos , any info would help , l went there between 62 to 68 . lwent to the kingston hill nursrey before that , l lived in bordesley park road , our house was a shop that my dad never opened , it was at the top of the hill opposite the pub and wallaces shop . the road outside seemed to be like a circle , the buses used to come up and turn around there before going in the garage ,1964 we moved to ada road opposite the school . l would really like to share these photos and l also have the PUNISHMENT book and that started on the 5/10/37 and the first name was Robert Balding -insolence in classroom-2 strokes , thanks Deano

I'm also after some photos for Ada Road School but earlier (30s and 40s pre/post bomb damage whatever I can get) there was a post in another thread about a villa fan who had loads of photos of ada road but for some reason I can't find the post again, deano someone who was having trouble posting pictures. Can you let me know if you find any?

Hi All l have old school classroom photos , of st Andrews road junior and infants (Ada Road ) dont know how to load up , they go back to around 1940s , l have over a 100 photos , any info would help , l went there between 62 to 68 . lwent to the kingston hill nursrey before that , l lived in bordesley park road , our house was a shop that my dad never opened , it was at the top of the hill opposite the pub and wallaces shop . the road outside seemed to be like a circle , the buses used to come up and turn around there before going in the garage ,1964 we moved to ada road opposite the school . l would really like to share these photos and l also have the PUNISHMENT book and that started on the 5/10/37 and the first name was Robert Balding -insolence in classroom-2 strokes , thanks Deano
Hi my name was Tina butler my dad was the caretaker of st Andrews from 1963 to 1970 you may know my sister Kathy or even remember my dad

Hi Tina and welcome to the forum. I hope deanovilla sees your post. He hasn't posted for a couple of years but he might pick it up. Enjoy the forum. Viv.

British History Online describes the schools as:

ST. ANDREW'S COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Ada Road, Small Heath. Ada St. Bd. Sch. opened 1885 by Birm. Sch. Bd. Accom. 1,025 M, I. Fees 1d.–3d. Classroom added 1900. Building remodelled 1928. Reorganized between 1928 and 1932 for SB, JM, I. Name changed to Ada Road c. 1935. SB dept. became a separate sch. 1945 .Name changed 1954. Accom. 1961: 12 classrooms, hall.

ST. ANDREW'S BOYS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Ada Road, Small Heath. Ada Rd. Cty. Modern Sch. became a separate B sch. 1945 (see preceding sch.).Name changed 1954.N.o.b. 1961: 330.

I was there from 1957 until 1961.
Lived in Stratford Street North, Camp Hill.
Tom Edwards, anyone there at similar time?

Hi, I was there until 1961, learnt to play the recorder with Miss Neale, although I did learn a few other things as well. I think the headmaster was Mr Shuttleworth, but I am a bit hazy on that. Anyone remember the coke pile at the end of the playground ? Naughty step if you were caught climbing on it. I have a few photos of class groups and some maypole dancing in the hall, all from early in my era, 1956 ish. I can post if anybody wants to remember themselves or friends from that time. Cheers. Andrew

A few photos from St Andrews Primary. No dates, but will be 56 to 61. They are a bit selective, because I am on them all, but others my recognise themselves. Andrew.

Attachments

• St Andrews 1.jpg
    St Andrews 1.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 28
  • St Andrews 2.jpg
    St Andrews 2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 27
  • St Andrews 3.jpg
    St Andrews 3.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 23
  • St Andrews 4.jpg
    St Andrews 4.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 26
Pupils intervieing Carl Chinn In 1994 about the history of Bordesley.

Viv

FD146C5D-069A-4DC8-A969-0E62DF291B22.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Pupils intervieing Carl Chinn In 1994 about the history of Bordesley.

Viv

View attachment 171489
Source: British Newspaper Archive
I do think it is so important to learn about your local history at school. We were taught nothing about our great City of Birmingham when I was at school. I am constantly surprised about events that I had never come across before in the social/political/industrial life of Brum. I didn’t think I was interested in history and indeed was not allowed to take my history O-level because I only had 12% in the mock exam but local history of my birth town is totally engaging.

Back