• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Squadrons

castalla

master brummie
Wife just got her fathers service records from when he served in WW2 RAF, having some difficulty understanding abbreviations and Squadrons if anybody can help please
Records show some of the things we don't understand sure we will be back for more help please
1942 AC2 /1 AIR CREWMAN 2 / 1LAC LEADING AIRCRAFTMAN
1944 RAF Police
We understand above but lost on the following
ACSEA Air Command South East Asia No idea
it says QFEC QF — QUEENS FLIGHT what would this be
172/44 PDC —-PERSONNAL DISPATCH CENTRE No idea
BHQ COLLORBO –BATTLE HEADQUATERS Was this a RAF Base
It looks like he was attached to
963,254,and 81 Squadrons

Trying to do a search and you may find some here

PDC is personnel despatch centre - I assume that pilots were there before being sent to varous bases.
Q is unlikely to be Queen during WW2 - would it?

ACSEA is Air Command South East Asia
1637425858206.png

Last edited:
AC2/1 are, of course, Aircraftman class 2/1 not air crewman. AC2, AC1 to LAC would be a common 'career' path. Ground crew (AC2/1 LAC etc. might not be allocated to squadrons as such but to Servicing Echelons which might have the squadron number that they worked with but an extra digit and perhaps 'SE' too.

Perhaps you could post a good quality image of the original record, Castella. This might give further clues.

Chris

Back