• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Spoked wheel

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Saw this wheel today, it's overlooks the canal by Kingsbury road near Cincinnati. I remember it turning around all time years ago. Can anyone tell me what company it was?

Who ever it was charlie, I think they made wheels?
Yes I remember that wheel going around as a kid Lyn. It wasn't doing anything special, it was just for show.

Thanks berniew.
It looks in about the right place. Looks to me as though Moss Gear is just being built in the photos so they probably haven't erected the wheel yet?

I can also remember that wheel used to turn. What I have been told is the company used to make the wheels for pitheads at coal mines; those wheel were quite an iconic sight up until a few years back.

I also have a vague memory that this factory was located in the centre of Birmingham, and the wheel was mounted on the outside wall. It used to spin slowly round there too.

My grandfather was a tool maker who worked at Moss Gear, and also Stuart and Lloyds. I can recall there was a showcase located at the entrance to Birmingham New St Station, containing gears etc made by one of these companies. It may have been in the vicinity of the Queens (?) hotel.

I really like the way the manufacturers in Birmingham used to show off their wares like this

Thanks for that morturn. So charlie might have got it right in post No.3. I thought she was winding me up. lol

Your thinking of the Minnesota Mining Manufacture, who I think made sand and emery paper products,later became the 3M's Co
Nick

Actually, I guess I was thinking of the Cincinatti thingy - just got my American states confused.
Frothy: I wouldn't wind you up, I wheely wouldn't!

I often think how 'American' the wheel looks. You almost expect the nearby 'Drome' to be an American diner rather than a greasy spoon/chip shop.

Actually, I guess I was thinking of the Cincinatti thingy - just got my American states confused.
Frothy: I wouldn't wind you up, I wheely wouldn't!

"Wheely wouldn't"
lol-cartoon-ag1.gif

Hi Morturn,
The showcase at New St Station was the Moss Gear's. I never saw it but my dad worked for the Moss as a technical rep. I remember him saying it was great to meet a potential customer at the station and walk by the showcase. It pretty much sealed the sale.
Regards
Steve
hansonbridge

The Big Wheel was at George Hughes, Edgemond Avenue, Erdington, Birmingham.
They made all kinds of spoked wheels.
I worked there around 1967 and I used to put the spokes into the rim.
I lived at Catle Vale Estate at the time and used to walk through the Vale to get to work.
At that particular time there were no buses running on to the Castle Vale estate.

Thanks Linda.
We did work out it was George Hughes but it's nice to hear off someone that actually worked there

Back