• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Spears William Joseph

Dave E Collins

master brummie
My Grandfather, William Joseph Spears was born 1878/9, somewhere in Birmingham, I suspect Aston. I cannot find a birth certificate for him, nor does he appear on the 1881 or 1891 Census. He is on the 1901, living in Park Lane, Aston. According to his marriage certificate, his father was William Spears, an engine driver. On the 1901 there is a William Spears, also in Park Lane, classed as a factory engine driver. Would this be the same as engine driver? He is living with his son, possibly William Josephs brother. I cannot find a register of his birth either. Without these birth certificates I cannot find a mother for William Joseph.My own mother, who would be William seniors Grandaughter could not recall her Gran's name, though she was of the opinion that it was a short Christian name. I have found a marriage for William Spears senior, possibly, to an Emma Spriggs, but at this stage it is guesswork.
Anyone out there know anything about the Spears family of Aston/Erdington back in the 1800's?
Dave

Re: William Joseph Spears

Hello I had a William Js Spiers with father Wm 1881, but I have found his birth and he is a William James. Shame!

I have edited the original post

Pam

Hello, Spears is my surname and it was quite a big family around Aston/Nechells so if you have any other names I could see if any are in my tree. Bye for now, Donna

There is in the 1901 census a William Spears age 40 at 2 back of 18 Edward Street, Ladywood
wife Clara, 40. Children Lilla, 15; William, 13; Ernest, 11; Alfred, 9; George, 7.
Would your mother remember Clara as her Gran's name? I know the dates don't match, but I'd try this as there is a Father and Son William here.

Here are the family Lloyd found in 1901, in the 1891 cen'
Address: Bk 19 2 House Edward St

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born SPEARS William Head M M 30 Cabinet Brass Finisher(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
SPEARS Clara Wife M F 30 Warwickshire - Birmingham
SPEARS Lily M Dau S F 5 Warwickshire - Birmingham
SPEARS William Son S M 3 Warwickshire - Birmingham
SPEARS Ernest Son S M 1 Warwickshire - Birmingham
SPEARS Alfred Son S M 4m Warwickshire - Birmingham

Chris/Pom :angel:

Back