• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sparkhill Commercial School

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This school building still exists, now an adult education provider. From British History Online the history of the school is described:

SPARKHILL COMMERCIAL SCHOOL, STRATFORD ROAD, Sparkhill. Started 1921 by Birm. C.B.C. as a M sch. Established 1929 in converted premises of Sparkhill Institute. Depts. included bk.-keeping, commercial arith., commercial geog. and econ. hist., dom. training, langs., mech. drawing, science, shorthand and typing, theory and practice of commerce (ex inf. M. of Ed.). N.o.b. 1961: 350.(28)

image.jpeg
From Google Streetview.

The newly elected Yardley Rural District Council met initially (1894) in the Sparkhill Institute, which had been built a few years before, opposite Inglewood Road and then in the new [Yardley] Council House (1902-12).

This is the original Institute:

upload_2017-10-28_18-5-54.png

The present building looks very different and was either seriously altered or demolished & rebuilt? Walls & steps look similar? Anyone know?

Sparkhill Commercial School was situated on the corner of Stratford Road and Newton Road. I think the photo is a kids party celebrating the Queen's coronation.IMG.jpg

Lovely photo Frank. I’ve moved it to this existing thread about the school. Judging by the windows, I expect the photo was probably taken in the rooms on the first floor in the second photo on this thread. But the room may be out of view as the arrangement of windows (although similar in style) is slightly different. Viv

Last edited:
Looking closely at the photo the long table to the extreme right seems odd. The table legs are resting on the table which runs along the foreground. Can’t quite work this out. The photo looks about right for the 1950s although I’d have expected a lot of decoration for the Coronation event. Viv.

I used to live in Newton Road and so I know a few of the people in the photo. There are a lot of children in the photo, many more than lived in our road and so I can only assume that they came from nearby roads.
The entertainment must have been the chap at the back with the accordion.. . . Just as well I can't remember it.

The newly elected Yardley Rural District Council met initially (1894) in the Sparkhill Institute, which had been built a few years before, opposite Inglewood Road and then in the new [Yardley] Council House (1902-12).

This is the original Institute:

View attachment 119565

The present building looks very different and was either seriously altered or demolished & rebuilt? Walls & steps look similar? Anyone know?
Great photo Superdad

Back