• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sparkhill Commercial School

Was this the school at the bottom of Newton Road,next to Woolies?,if so my next door neighbour ,a Mrs Hodson,was a cleaner there,also another neighbour ,a Stefan Jascremski? attended there in the middle 60`s ?

Christopher,
If you were an ex-pupil then there is a one off open day at the old school premises, corner of Newton Road, on Thursday 28th October. They have been given permission to have the hours from 10 am to 3 pm open for old students to go down memory lane. If you search the web for the school under its name you will come across a site, that is dedicated to the old school and has a multitude of old photos of staff and pupils, that is open to join. There is a yearly reunion at the now Hall Green College, Stratford Road, the next one being on a date I cannot now recall in May 2011 - but it is on the site I referred to.
Me? An Old Dolphin of 1953/55.
Will.

Does anyone have any memories or reminiscences of this school ?
Lots. Lovely teachers esp. Mr Stucky and Miss Hunt. Library duty. As a prefect, standing by the back entrance before afternoon lessons in case anyone came sneaking in, late, that way We had a lot of freedom at that school.
I also remember a week long trip to Belgium and a young. male, maths teacher who left the school after a few months to emigrate to a sheep farm in New Zealand - true....
Joan Ricketts nee Hopkins

I attended Sparkhill Commercial School from 1961 through 1963. Lots of fond memories. I believe the location was Stratford Road, but I could be wrong. I left there at the end of 1963 and then the school closed and moved out the premises and became Hall Green something or other.

I wonder if anyone remembers my older brother, Michael Peach who I believe was a pupil at Sparkhill Commercial School. We both attended Bierton Road Junior School until we were 11. My brother is about 7 years older than me and I started at Yardley Grammar School in September 1954 so my brother Michael would have started at the Commercial School in 1947. I don't know if pupils would have left that school at 15 or 16; it was 16 at my school, so my brother would have left about 1951 or 52.

I would be interested to learn something of the history of the Commercial School if anyone has any details. At the time, I was rather too young to be interested in what my older brother was doing or his school.

Regards
datadave

I attended Sparkhill Commercial 1952 through 1956. (Yes it was on the Stratford Road and next door to Woolies). One could leave after 3 years or apply to stay on a further year. I chose the latter, or at least my parents did). Best place for old reminisces of the school was the old Friends Reunited (sadly no longer in existence) and I recall contributing a fair bit and including an old school photograph of the class (since mislaid or lost). I was there when David Hughes (a popular ballad singer of the time and an ex pupil) visited and his photo and his story made the Birmingham Mail. Recall a trip to Belgium (Blankenberge) with the French teacher (a Londoner -can't recall his name) - in charge. Happy days and typing and shorthand skills learned stood me in good stead in the RAF later where I worked as a clerical assistant at Bomber Command HQ.

Sorry no memories of your brother, but I was starting Sparkhill Commercial when he was leaving or had left the year before, depending whether he stayed on for an extra year. All the best reminiscences of the School could be found in the (now defunct) Friends Reunited and I contributed to that for some time and discovered old class mates. I am sure information can be found within the Forum or try Googling. I know I have found photos online of the school and facts of its history including how it finally ended up under its Hall Green label.

Sorry no memories of your brother, but I was starting Sparkhill Commercial when he was leaving or had left the year before, depending whether he stayed on for an extra year. All the best reminiscences of the School could be found in the (now defunct) Friends Reunited and I contributed to that for some time and discovered old class mates. I am sure information can be found within the Forum or try Googling. I know I have found photos online of the school and facts of its history including how it finally ended up under its Hall Green label.
Thanks for responding, Noodles. I'll see what the internet shows up. I'm not sure where the school was located - I always had the impression that it was on Warwick Road, as was Yardley Grammar, but further down towards Stratford Road. I seem to remember going past it on the bus when on the way to school swimming lessons at Sparkhill baths on Monday mornings. If I remember, it was the No. 36 bus that I caught but that may be an unreliable memory.

datadave

Hi datadave. Sparkhill Commercial College (I see from a google Map now called Sparkhill Education Centre with an address 477 Stratford Road) was most definitely on the Stratford road located where Newton Road met the Stratford road. There was a Woolworths right next door. I used to live in Yardley Wood and caught the 24 bus to get to school. I remember the bus went down Showell Green Road to join the Stratford Road. The junction was about equi-distant between Sparkhill Baths (where we also went swimming) and the school. I see from the Google Map (which I need as I have lived in Kent for many years) that the Warwick Road (A41) connected to the Stratford Road (A34) half a mile or so further on, towards town.

Can no longer recall bus routes (except the ones caught daily) but I do remember the No. 31 route took it along the Stratford road towards the baths on its way to Acocks Green and Hall Green. No idea about No. 36 but my memory now very hazy. You can get a better idea of the school location by knowing it was diagonally across the road and a few minutes walk from St John's Church (where we used to attend special church services). Cannot find the church showing on the map but St Johns Road clearly shown joining the Stratford Road. Hope that helps you get an idea of the school's location.

Christopher,
If you were an ex-pupil then there is a one off open day at the old school premises, corner of Newton Road, on Thursday 28th October. They have been given permission to have the hours from 10 am to 3 pm open for old students to go down memory lane. If you search the web for the school under its name you will come across a site, that is dedicated to the old school and has a multitude of old photos of staff and pupils, that is open to join. There is a yearly reunion at the now Hall Green College, Stratford Road, the next one being on a date I cannot now recall in May 2011 - but it is on the site I referred to.
Me? An Old Dolphin of 1953/55.
Will.
I too attended 1953/55..

Does anyone have any memories or reminiscences of this school ?
Teachers...Miss Hunt..RI and her knitted stockings...Mr. Tillitson.. bookkeeping Madam Landau. French.Taffy.. commerce.the numerous steps to the classroom and the one way system...school being banned from Woolworths because of bad behaviour...playground on the roof and throwing flour bombs down on unsuspecting public..bus trips to school playing fields....2 year commercial course but options to stay for an extra year if you wished to take your 'O' levels...

I remember Miss Hunt and Mr Tillotson (and 3 lines below that draw a line) but we had I think a male teacher (a Londoner) for French and cannot recall now if the Commerce teacher was Welsh, but likely was. Cannot recall the Woolworth ban but not surprised as one in our class was a regular 'tea-leaf' nicking pencil rubbers and such. Nor can I recall flour bombs but remember the roof playground well enough. We had bus tokens for catching the bus to the Olton playing fields. i stayed on the extra year but did not take 'O' levels.

I attended Denis Road Secondary Modern when we moved lock, stock and barrel to Sparkhill Commercial early 60's I spent the last couple of years there before leaving school at 15 In 1964. The quirky thing was the playground on the roof.

Although my Sparkhill Commercial experience pre-dates your own by some 10 years or so and with the admission that after all these years living away from Brum I have no recall of Denis Road Secondary Modern, I am intrigued by your 'moved lock, stock and barrel'. That sounds like the Denis Road school closed and all the pupils moved to Sparkhill Commercial? Considering in my time, and before -and I though afterwards - admission to Sparkhill was by passing a 13+ test are you saying this no longer applied? I was at Yardley Wood Secondary Modern when I passed in 1952/3 and fellow pupils passed from their own Secondary Moderns. Can you enlighten further please on whether test admission no long applied. Many thanks and yes the 'playground roof' was indeed quirky.

Hi Noodles
Denis Road was behind Stoney Lane off Anderton Park Road, the school was split over each side of Denis Road, in fact the annex building of Denis Road School backed on to Stoney Lane next to the TA centre and contained the science and art blocks. Denis Road is still there today although a cul-de-sac now and the school is renamed Anderton Park School I think.
Denis Road was changed to a primary school so all the secondary pupils moved to Sparkhill School (the Commercial tag was dropped) by default, no entrance exam was required because Sparkhill Commercial moved elsewhere, I don't know where. By coincidence I moved from Highgate to Yardley Wood in the 1970's. Colemeadow Road. There are numerous references to Denis Road School with photos on this excellent forum.

That is certainly news to me so thanks for that and I can place in my mind where Denis Road was located. I wonder if the 'moved elsewhere' was to Hall Green School (it probably had a more fuller name) as I know some 'Old Dolphins' reunion meetings were held at a Hall Green School. I never understood why the switch to Hall Green. Perhaps someone can explain that in more detail.

Another coincidence coming up because I am pretty sure I had to attend piano lessons in Colemeadow Road which you got to via Yardley Wood road leading off the Valley. But again we are speaking of the 50's as i think I started lessons when about 11 or 12.

Hi Noodles
Denis Road was behind Stoney Lane off Anderton Park Road, the school was split over each side of Denis Road, in fact the annex building of Denis Road School backed on to Stoney Lane next to the TA centre and contained the science and art blocks. Denis Road is still there today although a cul-de-sac now and the school is renamed Anderton Park School I think.
Denis Road was changed to a primary school so all the secondary pupils moved to Sparkhill School (the Commercial tag was dropped) by default, no entrance exam was required because Sparkhill Commercial moved elsewhere, I don't know where. By coincidence I moved from Highgate to Yardley Wood in the 1970's. Colemeadow Road. There are numerous references to Denis Road School with photos on this excellent forum.
Do you remember Mr Whippy ice cream place in Denis Rd ? and Abdula carpets on corner that was old Debs transport yard

Cant say I do from my school days at least and I left Brum to go in the RAF in 1958 and after that married and moved away first to Northamptonshire, and then to Kent where I have lived since 1970. So although I remember well Stoney Lane and Ladypool Road (as the 13A bus went up there) whilst the 24 -the one I usually caught when I worked in town - went along the Stratford Road until past Sparkhill Commercial, then it turned up Showell Green Lane. (Amazing what you remember and what you forget).

Well remember Mr Whipy, bought Tip-Tops there by the box. Also the corner shop opposite the school that used to sell pop by the glass (and single fags, naughty naughty)

Cant say I do from my school days at least and I left Brum to go in the RAF in 1958 and after that married and moved away first to Northamptonshire, and then to Kent where I have lived since 1970. So although I remember well Stoney Lane and Ladypool Road (as the 13A bus went up there) whilst the 24 -the one I usually caught when I worked in town - went along the Stratford Road until past Sparkhill Commercial, then it turned up Showell Green Lane. (Amazing what you remember and what you forget).
Old bus routes bring back memories. 13 Stratford Road, Then Stoney Lane, Yardley Wood Road then left down Trittiford Road to the terminus by School Road. 24 Stratford Road to Showell Green Lane, then Yardley Wood Road all the way to the terminus by the bus garage (still in use today). No11 bottle of pop, bag of sandwiches and a happy couple of hours going around the outer circle

Old bus routes bring back memories. 13 Stratford Road, Then Stoney Lane, Yardley Wood Road then left down Trittiford Road to the terminus by School Road. 24 Stratford Road to Showell Green Lane, then Yardley Wood Road all the way to the terminus by the bus garage (still in use today). No11 bottle of pop, bag of sandwiches and a happy couple of hours going around the outer circle
I always had an ambition to go all the way round on the outer circle, it somehow had mystery and magic 'feel' to it. I never managed it - too unusual to try it on my own and none of my friends would go with me....I should have been born a boy obviously.....Joan R.

Certainly do bring back memories, although wasn't it the 13A that did the Stoney Lane route and yes ended up at the School Road terminus. When the shift was finished they used to return to the Yardley Wood Road garage down (I think) Cleeve Road and then Pendeen Road. I recall also that my mate (now sadly deceased) used to catch the first bus of the morning at the 13A Terminus (around 6am as he had to be at work at a Foundry by 7am). He maintained that one morning (within the 50's or early 60's) he and a couple of others waiting for the bus saw a UFO hover overhead and fly away. He was ribbed when telling this story for years and being a mate, used to say - well he couldn't have been drunk at that time of day. He also maintained that the sighting (of whatever it was) was mentioned in the Birmingham Mail but as I serving in the RAF at the time, never verified this. As for the No. 11 outer circle bus will relate to this when replying to Joan R.

I always had an ambition to go all the way round on the outer circle, it somehow had mystery and magic 'feel' to it. I never managed it - too unusual to try it on my own and none of my friends would go with me....I should have been born a boy obviously.....Joan R.

When a lad me, my two sisters and parents used to catch the 24 to Swanshurst Park and then catch the No 11 Outer Circle on its journey through Kings Heath and then onwards and outwards through Bourneville and beyond. It was one heck of a journey which (for us) ended in Winson Green where my Uncle & Aunt lived (my father's brother, wife and a girl cousin). It was then (and to this day) the longest urban bus journey ever taken, and I thought it would never end. But then, of course, it was by no means 'all the way' or even perhaps half way. Not sure whether I could have stayed the course to go 'all the way' myself or with friends, but then once started would have little choice.

I do recall a visit to my Grandma living at Acocks Green also involved catching the outer circle bus at Swanshurst, but going the other way. But that journey was quite short lived compared to the Winson Green visit. I often wonder why Mom and Dad didn't choose to return in the opposite direction - so as to complete the circle - but if we only did a third of the route, it was of course easier (and no doubt cheaper) - to return the same way. Thanks for the memory anyway and the same to Philgard7.

I went to Hall Green BiLateral. We chose Sparkhill Commercial simply because it was near where I lived in Bertha Road. Just before school started we got a letter to say it had moved to Hall Green.

The commerce teacher was 'Taffy', definitely from South Wales. His full name was David Treharne Williams and he wrote the book on Commerce https://www.amazon.co.uk/Commerce-David-Treharne-Williams/dp/0582410126 . He used to lie back in his chair, hands on chest occasionally opening up to express something and he would recite from the book almost verbatim. I was always amazed he remembered the content so well. Then one day I realised it was his book!

Meant to ask. Does anyone know why Sparkhill Commercial has a dolphin? It's a long way from the sea. A bus conductor once asked me if the badge was a mouse.

Meant to ask. Does anyone know why Sparkhill Commercial has a dolphin? It's a long way from the sea. A bus conductor once asked me if the badge was a mouse.
That goes back into history, certainly in the early 50's when I attended (and I once met someone who attended in the late 40's and the badge was a Dolphin then). And meet-ups were always in the name of the Old Dolphins. Perhaps it is recorded somewhere, otherwise in the dark as to why a Dolphin was chosen.

That goes back into history, certainly in the early 50's when I attended (and I once met someone who attended in the late 40's and the badge was a Dolphin then). And meet-ups were always in the name of the Old Dolphins. Perhaps it is recorded somewhere, otherwise in the dark as to why a Dolphin was chosen.
We still have an annual re-union now held in Moseley. Before Covid it was held in April but as from last year, we shall be having our re-union in September. We welcome any Old Dolphins who would like to join us and happy to give details of contact on this forum.

Back