• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Southall/Southwell Burials

rainbowdragon

proper brummie kid
Hello I would appreciate it if some kind person could look up the following for me. :)

I am looking for the burials of the following family members all at, I think, St Martins. They use both the variant Southall and Southwell. I believe I have the right burial years from the National Burial Index except, maybe, for the first (she is listed as being 14 years older than "my" Harriet).

Harriet Southwell: buried 1834.
John Southall: buried 1823
Benjamen Southall: buried 1827
Jane Southall: buried 1835.

If it's too much hassle without the exact date, let me know: I've never looked up actual parish registers myself so I don't know if you need the exact date to do it quickly.

Sadly, it looks like Harriet and all but one of her children died within a short period of time, explaining why they disappeared, and I've yet to find a trace of the last child so she might have died young as well. :(

Hello rainbowdragon, I will try and help out while Shera is away although she is better at searching than me. I have found so far;
Harriet Southwell wife of Benjamin Southwell buried 18/5/1834 aged 49 addresss Inkleys.
Jane daughter of Benjamin and Harriet buried 4/5/1835 aged 3years 6 months. Address New Inkleys.
Martha wife of Benjamin Southwell buried 28/8/1836 age 36 address New Inkleys.

I searched for John and Benjamin under both spellings but couldn't find them. Shera may have a look when she's back.

Hope this helps:) Wendy.

Hello rainbowdragon, I will try and help out while Shera is away although she is better at searching than me. I have found so far;
Harriet Southwell wife of Benjamin Southwell buried 18/5/1834 aged 49 addresss Inkleys.
Jane daughter of Benjamin and Harriet buried 4/5/1835 aged 3years 6 months. Address New Inkleys.
Martha wife of Benjamin Southwell buried 28/8/1836 age 36 address New Inkleys.

I searched for John and Benjamin under both spellings but couldn't find them. Shera may have a look when she's back.

Hope this helps:) Wendy.

It does, and thank you. :)

It confirms that Harriet is the one I was looking for.

As for John and Benjamin, I'm planning on buying some credits at FindMyPast next week (money's a bit limited at the moment) and get the actual date and place where the burials took place: I assumed that they were all at St Martins, since all the children were baptised there, but maybe I was wrong.

Shera is back next week she will have a look as I may have missed something.:)

hello rainbow,

just to let you know i had a look and cant find anything extra to what wendy found for you :)

hello rainbow,

just to let you know i had a look and cant find anything extra to what wendy found for you :)

Thank you anyway. :)

Guess the other children were buried elsewhere: I'll buy some credits in a few days and find out where and when.

Hi rainbowdragon
Just spotted this thread.
I have a Benjamin Southwell, born 1830 in my family tree, son of William (1811-1877)/Mary Southwell/Southall

Is there a connection?

Brian Southwell

Not as far as I know, but I haven't traced the family tree of my Benjamin Southwell/Southall, just his wife's and their children and descendants.

Hi rainbowdragon
About a year ago, when I was looking for something else at St Paul's I found a burial for Daniel Southwell of Upper Tower St, died Dec 29 1840 age 56. I made a note of it because I thought it might be relevant to Brian, but maybe he one of yours?

Hi rainbowdragon
About a year ago, when I was looking for something else at St Paul's I found a burial for Daniel Southwell of Upper Tower St, died Dec 29 1840 age 56. I made a note of it because I thought it might be relevant to Brian, but maybe he one of yours?

Not one of mine, as far as I know. Thanks anyway. :)

Hi

There's burials at St. Mary, Whittall Street, Bham for:

Benjamin Southall buried 16th Sept 1827 aged 18 months and
John Southall buried 27 Nov 1823 aged 7 months

Suzanne

Not as far as I know, but I haven't traced the family tree of my Benjamin Southwell/Southall, just his wife's and their children and descendants.

Not had much time to do too much research myself yet - keep promising more time - sound like may be differant branches ?
William is 3 gt G/Father, his son William my 2nd Gt/G/Father - both Tailors from Inge St.

May get connected one day!

I suspect daniel that leslam found is brother or cousing of my William - Get there one day!" - Thanks Leslam & SMTR - filed away for the future!

Back