• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Somme

Is this him? On second thoughts I think this might refer to his Father judging by the date and his age.
1650116169365.png

This William seems to have only enlisted for a few months but also seems to have served in the army previously. There is a second William Bosward who seems to be in the service corps . Was someone called Alice?

Last edited:
There is a small graveyard at Smethwick Old Church. I had a disc with burials on for Smethwick but it doesn't work anymore, sorry. Smethwick Library Archives may help, I'm not sure how they operate these days.
rosie.

HI Janice; Thank you so much for all your help first let me say the William Charles Bosward born 1930 is my late husband
much older by 14yrs) he died in Canada 2010. . the Wm C.Bosward above 1898-1979 is my late father in law, whom I'm trying to find military WW1 service records. :confused:

The top insert you have for William Bosward discharge 12-7-1915 is my father in law's father he born abt 1860 served in Royal Warwickshire Reg very young age till 1897 when he married widow Harriet , I think he was in the Territorials and tried to enlist again for WW1 and was turned down due to ill health, I have found a couple of things to that effect, he was discharged with a pension of 40 pounds year, he & Harriet lived at 76 Unett St Smethwick, when Harriet died Oct 1922 it says Kings Norton.Smethwick.and William died 1925 Birmingham South.:rolleyes: I'm hoping someday to find out how to get copies of his medals.

A volunteer on Find A Grave sent me the email for Sandwell council so I have emailed them to ask for help finding the graves of Harriet & William Bosward. will keep you updated on progress.:cool:
Last comment Alice Bosward was my late mother in law she died 1964, we came over for the funeral and she is buried in Hendon Cem with my father in law joined her in 1979. we are hoping to get over some day to see the graves and clean up the mess.
Thank you to Rosie. you guy's are all a great help I will try Smethwick Library Archives ,let you know any results.

Kind regards
Janey:)

Tel D, there are several other West Midlands men who served with the West Yorkshire Regiment with numbers around 15701. They enlisted voluntarily in thier home areas on and around 6 November 1914 and it was their own choice to join that regiment. Perhaps there was a concerted effort to recruit for it at the time. They were also posted to the 10th (Service) Battalion.

My grandfather fought at the Somme with the Gloucestershire regiment. He also 'popped up' with the Inniskillen regiment. I know his right hand was injured by a bullet at the Somme, and he could was sent back to UK. He was unable to shoot a gun, so he was no use on the front line any more. He had no connections with Birmingham, but in 1919 he was living in digs, and in 1920 he married my grandmother in Birmingham (which was where she'd been born and brought up). I have wondered why he would move to Birmingham. Was he sent to a hospital in the Birmingham area to have his wounds cared for? Does anyone know if there are lists of casualties and where they were treated?

The official casualty lists can be found online in several places. I have some information about that here: http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/casualty-lists/

Hospital admission registers are much less complete: http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/sold...er/hospital-admissions-and-discharge-records/

I hope this helps.

HI to all 'Brummie' members,,,:):heart:

I was browsing all the old & new views on the forum and found my own enquiry for my late husband's 'Bosward' family.
Just to let you all know I had contact with a great man in Warwickshire who saw my Find a Grave page and he has done a ton of work in researching the family, Still no luck in finding the grave sites of William & Harriet but he keeps plugging away I'm so grateful..
Also had help finding a lot of Bosward graves in Witton Cem. that was terrific but no sign of the in laws. will keep you all posted with new finds.

Janice did tell me about sending for the death certs as a PDF costing seven pounds, I can't find the post with the site so anyone help would be very much appreciated, thanks a bunch.

Kind regards
Janey,:cool:

It was here

Back