• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Somme Grave/Memorial Pictures

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
Hello all

In a couple of weeks time, I am visiting the Somme Battlefield for a weekend. I have promised two Forum members photographs of relative's graves as both cemeteries are on the Somme battlefield and are easy to access. If any other Forum member has a relative buried or commemorated on the Somme let me know if you want a photograph. I will try and do my best. I must stress that I am a member of a small party and their preferences of places to see will take first choice of where I visit.

Regards

Terry

hi terry

my grandfather was killed in the somme.

william henry sutton died 3.7.1918 age 34 yrs.

50677 5th batt. royal berkshire regiment.

buried bouzincourt communal cemetery extension somme france.

i would love a photo of the grave if it is possible. thank you

chris

Hi Chris

I have checked the location of Bouzincourt Cem Ext and it is only a couple of miles or so from where I am staying in the B&B. So, hopefully, I will get a photo for you. Also buried in the same cemetery is Pte Arthur Earp a Birmingham soldier of the 5th Royal Warwicks who was Shot At Dawn in July 1916 for quitting his post.

Regards

Terry

Hello Terry,
if you have time & these sites are available to you... Yes Please.

GEORGE MINCHIN, KIA 03/09/1916. 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Reg
His name is on the THIEPVAL MEMORIAL.

CHARLES MINCHIN, KIA 15/03/1915
Grave B28 Dickebusch New Military Cemetary
NOTE:
This is the Gt-uncle who was named on the Greenway St Wall Memorial.

WILLIAM HENRY GREEN, KIA 13/03/1915 1st Battalion Worcs Regt.
His name is on the LE TOURET MEMORIAL.

Many Thanks, Terry, but I really do understand that you will be very busy on this trip. I hope the trip goes well for you all.
Regards,
Margaret.

Margaret

I can only take a photo of George Minchin's name on the Thiepval Memorial. Your other two relatives are buried elsewhere on other areas of the Western Front.

Regards

Terry

Hello again Terry,

I will be delighted if you can manage the Theipval photo for me.

regards,
Margaret.

Thank you so much,Dave, for these photos....I do appreciate you taking
the time & trouble. When I started my family history I had no knowledge
that our family had lost members in WW1. ( 5 in all ) I have found it a sad
journey as in some cases they were so young....

Regards,
Margaret.

Dear Terry,

If you get the time, would you be able to take a photo of my great uncle's name on the War Memorial please? No worries at all if you don't get a chance though!

Harold Theodore Emerson, Second Lieutenant, 10/07/1916, The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, United Kingdom, Pier and Face 11 A., THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
Many, many thanks,

Wendy

Hi Terry

If time permits would you please take a photo of my great uncle's name:

SHAKESPEARE, JEFFREY ROBERT Lance Corporal R/239 22/08/1916 Unknown King's Royal Rifle Corps United Kingdom Pier and Face 13 A and 13 B.THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Very much appreciated and thanks in advance

Diane

:greatbritainflag:

Just in case any Forum member has a relative buried in Etaples British Miltary Cemetery, which is situated on the coast around 70 miles behind the Somme. I will also be visiting this cemetery to pay respects to my Great Uncle who is buried there.

Terry

Terry I'm thrilled that you will be able to take some photos and I would really appreciate it if you posted them on this forum. Then I can save them.

Thank you for suggesting this. I'm over the moon (a bit weepy too I might add)

:boohoo:

For Diane

Jeffrey Robert Shakespeare 11 Bn. Kings Royal Rifle Corps, KIA 22 August 1916. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.
Photographs taken on Saturday 1st November, 2008.

Regards

Terry

For Barrie

Pte William Davis, aged 29, No.10049, 8th Bn South Staffs, Guards Cemetery, Les Boeufs, Somme, France

Photos taken on Friday 31 October, 2008

Regards

Terry

For Chris

Pte William Henry Sutton, 5th Royal Berkshire, Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension. Photos taken on Friday 31 October, 2008.

Regards

Terry

Terry

It's just wonderful to actually see his name and the site. Thank you for taking the time out to run around for me, sounds a bit shallow, but I sincerely mean it. They are safely on my computer now and I feel like dancing!!! :0436:

For Wendy

Harold Theodore Emerson, Second Lieutenant, 10/07/1916, The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, United Kingdom, Pier and Face 11 A., THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Regards

Terry

hello terry

i can never thank you enough for the photos of my grandfathers grave.

it was so kind of you to spend your time over there looking for other peoples relatives and taking photos.

it brought a tear to my eye to see the grave but im very very grateful to you for providing an important piece in my family history.

chris

For JANELD (Jane)

Hawthorn Ridge Cemetery No.2, which is situated in the Newfoundland Memorial Park, Beaumont Hamel, Somme, France

The Grave of Sgt A H Ward, 1st Border Regiment, KIA 1 July 1916

Regards

Terry

Terry - thank you so very much for taking the photos of my great Uncle's name. I've only just recently started to find out more about him and it's very emotional to see his name carved on the memorial. That was really kind of you!

Wendy

Here here Alf. Terry has been so kind to many on here including me by taking photo's of memorials at the Somme. He has a great article in this months Bummagem about street war memorials. thanks Terry

Back