• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

some old pics

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
I don't think these photos have been on here before?

Pic 1, Is Ann street before it was demolished to build the Council House.

Pic 2, Corbett's Temperance Hotel and Joe Hillman's dining rooms, demolished to build the old Post Office In Victoria square.

Pic 3, The old Post Office being built 1890.

Attachments

• City Ann St site of Council House.jpg
    City Ann St site of Council House.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0
  • City Victoria Square Corbetts Temperance House.jpg
    City Victoria Square Corbetts Temperance House.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 0
  • City Victoria Square Building the Post Office 1890.jpg
    City Victoria Square Building the Post Office 1890.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for those Frothblower, the street lamps on the third one along look rather modern.....Cat:)

Thanks for posting Frothblower. I have never seen any of these three pics before.

Stunning pictures. They show the transition to other pictures here showing buildings that also are gone. The lamps are beautiful and I have seen the same in old pictures of other places here namely the Old Square and Colmore Row.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10098&ox=973&oy=1404&zm=1&czm=1&x=287&y=252

Thought the link might be useful for quick reference. Anne street was long gone and the Post Office is built already. This map ref is listed as an 1890 survey. Do you think the photo may be a bit earlier?

Last edited:
Another view of the site of the now council house.
Looking down Anne St.(Colmore Row)

Got a feeling we may have the same source,Frothy?

Victorian and Edwardian Birmingham,from old photographs, introduced and commented on by Dorothy McCulla.

I have posted pictures in the past taken from the book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back