• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Soldiers in India

Topsy

master brummie
Hi,
Could anyone help me on where to look for information on soldiers who were stationed in British India times. I have found limited information so far, looking for.

Micheal Durr born 1845 in Ireland, died 1889 India which said he was a conductor in commis dept. Don't know his regiment or when he went to India.

Harry Gordon Griffiths born 1884 Birmingham, again don't know regiment

Sgt. Hugh Mansfield Alexander born about 1868 England

Charles W.G. Brimble - age u/k

All were in Bengal area

From YDYTYA mag. " as a general starting point India office records.
www.bl.uk/collections/orientaloffice.html" for pre 1947 administrationof India.

Hi mike-g
Well I tried the link you gave me without any success and it has changed to another site. I went all over the place in fact got lost, but that's not hard for me I do it all the time. Thanks again

Hi,
Could anyone help me on where to look for information on soldiers who were stationed in British India times. I have found limited information so far, looking for.

Micheal Durr born 1845 in Ireland, died 1889 India which said he was a conductor in commis dept. Don't know his regiment or when he went to India.

Harry Gordon Griffiths born 1884 Birmingham, again don't know regiment

Sgt. Hugh Mansfield Alexander born about 1868 England

Charles W.G. Brimble - age u/k

All were in Bengal area

Hi

I am Hugh Mansfield Alexander's grand-daughter, Ann Mayo nee Alexander. He was born in Suffolk on 23rd April, 1868. His ex-wife (Kathleen Waugh) is buried in the Churchyard at Canwell near Bassetts Pole. I believe he retired in India and died there in the 1930s. My father, William Robert Mansfield Alexander, was his elder son. He told me that Hugh led a brigade of Gurkhas in France in the First World War. I would be fascinated if anyone has any further information. I have family photos taken in India soon after the turn of the cenutry.

All the names sound very familiar. Kathleen's sister Aileen who lived in Sutton Coldfield had the surname Griffiths and is also buried in the Canwell churchyard. I have heard the names Brimble and Durr, possibly Kathleen's maiden name and her first husband's surname. She had three husbands, the third being Waugh.

A conductor was a rank in the Ordnance Corps I believe, equivalent to CSM, a semi-conductor was a Sergeant.
paul

Hi
I'm Aileen Griffiths's nee Durr's grandaughter. Kathleen Waugh was her older sister she married Brimble then Hugh Alexander and then Jack Waugh. I tried to IM you but it did't go through try it on your end.
Hilary

Hi
I'm Aileen Griffiths's nee Durr's grandaughter. Kathleen Waugh was her older sister she married Brimble then Hugh Alexander and then Jack Waugh. I tried to IM you but it did't go through try it on your end.
Hilary

I can't see how to send an IM. My email address is *******. I remember meeting your grand-mother at my grand-mother's funeral. She was a lovely lady.

Hi annmayo 162 I have removed your email adress as it's not a good idea to post it on open forum for your own security. If you want to send a member any private details such as email address or phone number it is advisable to do it by instant message. Just click on the members user name and then click on IM. Good Luck Wendy.:courage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ann
I recieved your IM, will contact you. What a fantastic way to start the New Year

Hilary

Back