• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Road Handsworth

Stephen, wasn't Foster Brothers near to the Hawkins shop, which was near to the market? I seem to remember Fosters but cannot really place where it was. I can remember Woolworths, the old Littlewoods which I think closed about 1961/2 and England's Shoes, I think that was near or on the corner of Baker Street.

Yes Foster's was close to Handsworth Market our side, I think it was to the left of the building mentioned above (dated 1912 above it). Hawkins rings a bell and theres a photo earlier in this thread (page 1) of the shops opposite that I remember well as I think you may too.

The Elite Cinema was at 116 Soho Road. It was between Thornhill Road and Stafford Road, and opened in 1913.

Elite Handsworth.jpg

The building with 1912 above it was the Co-op if I remember rightly (just had a look), which was nearer to Rookery Road? I have just had a look at some of the earlier pictures and England's is there and the old Littlewoods, and yes, as you say opposite Hawkins.. I sort of remember Fosters being by the Market. I also remember what may have been an older ladies dress shop, but at the same time I wonder if it was a warehouse of some kind - Norman Linton clothes. I don't remember anyone going in there and I seem to remember it always seemed closed. I remember a shop with Walpamur tins in the window - large display tins, and I think it was a double fronted shop, but don't know who owned that or the name. The Post Office and the MEB were set back from the road opposite Englands (?) and then the market and then Hawkins I think - and then I get totally lost.

I remember my mother buying some lovely towels from Hawkins whilst we were at the shop, and she still had them in good condition when she emigrated to America in 1991. Hawkins sold quality goods the like of which we shall probably never see again.

In the earlier pics on this thread (which come from a book I also have) it shows a row of shops which I think were the same row as Broadmead was in - only these were demolished and new ones built. I think the end one is where the Ninevah Dancing Studios were, and of course this building could not have possibly held a dancing studio - far too tiny!

Seeing as Mike has now accessed the 1962 Kelly's, it is looking like I was wrong, so I may have to apologise about the Little Red Shop - I shall wait and see what Pat Mills comes up with as she is hoping they have got a photo. I probably won't be on here again today, fetching grandsons from swimming and then going out to Lichfield for a meal tonight, so I shall catch up with any further news tomorrow.

Does anyone remember Libbys Record shop which was on the Soho Road on the Boulton Road side?
This was in 1966/67.

shortie - no apologies necessry :) your stories (as everyones here) are very interesting and the memories are great.
I remember all those shops and even the Wolsey advert on that wall :)
Co-op is opposite Babington Rd - (now called Dramtex house) the upper architecture is recognisable, have a deco on google, it had an arcade area type of thing in the lower middle bit (now sealed) on ground floor and I still remember our co-op number.

Thx Judy, I miss-placed the Elite then - just caught up with the other Handsworth thread - the cinema I'm thinking of was "The Grand" then ? (tagged the flea pit :) in the other thread) - it was closed down c1960's when I remember it but it must've been a nice place at 1 time I guess.

I also noticed an earlier thread pic of St Michaels too - seems the church's up there and the local vicinity are still in good shape.
I pass them most days.

Libby's
Blimey, yes, did it have a loud speaker ? on the outside playing music to passers by, at one time ?

shortie - Decorwalls maybe - a decorating shop with double front was there for a long time, one of the workers or owners lived opposite us, I think all our road must've owned shops down Soho at some time or other.

Stephen - I left Handsworth in 1956. I lived in Soho Avenue almost opposite St Michaels Church and the scout hut that used to be to the side, where I went to Brownies, has long gone. My mom and dad had a hotel - Soho Hall Hotel - which is now Soho House. I used to go to Sunday School at St Michaels and my school church services were held there, so I knew it very well. As a child we used to play in the grounds around the church. We used to lie in the grass and pretend there was a ghost living in the steeple and would dare each other to go throught the little door at the bottom and climb up. None of us ever did. When I went back some years ago I couldn't believe what a mess that churchyard was in and found it very sad, but having seen it online recently it looks as though it has all been tidied up again. I am so pleased because that church and the grounds holds many memories for me. I often cut through the church path from Soho Road into Soho Avenue.

As to The Grand Cinema - well it was a flea pit. I only remember going there a couple of times but that was enough, but maybe it was nice when it first opened. There was a snooker hall quite near to the Grand if I remember.

I spent hours in Handsworth Park, both playing tennis with school, on the swings, at the Park Shows, catching tiddlers in the lake, meeting boys, you name it! It was a lovely park. I wonder what it's like now. It's such a long time since I've seen it.

Judy

I remember Libby's well, I often visited there from school at lunchtime. I bought Lonnie Donegan's Rock Island Line 78. Later when I finished my Saturday job as a bread delivery boy on a van for Bradfords, still at school, I spent some of my wages there on Bill Haley's Razzle Dazzle 78.

Michael and Stephen - glad you remember Libby's!
I loved that shop, the staff were really helpful and nice and would always order things for you if they hadn't got it in the shop. I think they used to sell alot of Reggae, Bluebeat and Ska to cater for the local West Indian community.

Libby's - (I will first need to bow to your superior musical taste .. but here goes anyway ....)
"if" that is the shop with the loudspeaker outside ~ I remember my good old Mum buying a 45 record there because the shops over the road (by the Barretts the Butchers) were all dancing to it when they played it out loud one day :) funny sight - it was either Return-of-Django or Liquidator and it was 1969. A bit later I know, maybe 10 years on from the Lonnie Donegan - but he was great tho.

Thx Judy - Soho House must have been great when it was a hotel and good memories/stories there. I'm glad the church was tidied up. However, nothing can change good memories. It's good to have photo's and stories, they bring things flooding back.

img088.jpgAs St. Michael`s church has featured in this thread it may be worth mentioning that it is was the pastoral church for St. Michael`s junior and infant school when it was at the corner of Soho Road and Thornhill Road, but long since demolished. It had a football team and attached is photo taken in 1949. The players included from left to right, back row standing, Hayden Fry, Michael Wilkes, James Brown, ? Douglas, Terence Woodward, Trevor Short, front row sitting, Michael Wilton, Brian West, Peter Harding, Brian Shipley, Allan Pope. The teachers were, Mr. Nunny, headmaster Mr. Jacobs and Mr. Burton. It is now 63 years ago but the memories are still vivid in the mind as are most of the others discussed on this topic. Allan

Great photo Allan. Which one are you? Apart from your name I also seem to remember that of Hadyn Fry for some reason. I wonder if he lived near us.

Judy

Hello JUDY, looking at the photo I am on the right of the front row, sitting. Yes, Hayden Fry did live close to you in South Road. Allan

You know Allan I somehow knew that smiling face was yours! Hayden must have played with us at times I guess and that's why I knew the name. I was often in South Road.

Judy

image.jpeg This is the picture I promised Stephen I would post of Soho Road at the junction with Boulton Road. Boulton Road is to the right and The Little Red Shop is the shop on the corner of Boulton Road. I have viewed this with a jewellers' loupe and it is clear that the articles outside, although I could not identify them individually, are hardware items such as buckets, etc. I used to live (1960-64) in Linwood Road, which is to the left, just past the bus stop. This photo was taken during the 1950's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shortie,thank you for that magnificent pic, just look at the cars too, brilliant. Well done with the detective work.

I wonder if there may have been 2 ironmongers or even if the little red shop might have moved up closer to Babington after those shops were knocked down to make Boulton larger maybe ?

I remember the bus stop being outside the Red Lion on the left ~ before it was moved closer to the end of your Rd, Linwood, a little later on. Its great to see that pic. Also; as we, suspected Boulton was a small Road at that time.

I remember you saying that Soho had Jewelers too - is that correct - just asking ?

Stephen

Back