• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Soho Road, Handsworth 1956 to 1964 opposite the Libary

SueB58

master brummie
Hello
Hope you can help confirm the shops that were in the vacinity of 171 Soho Road.
The Gown and food shop (no. 169?), the Co-op or George Masons, the outdoor - going up to corner of Ninevah Road.
and if you can... The property number of Radio Rentals and the record shop further up past the market.
Sue

From 1956 Kellys (sorry for mix of types, it came like this when I copied and won't alter)
171A, Fisher Brenda, gowns
173,175 & 177 Birmingham Co-operative Society Ltd
179A, Martin H, F & S florists
179 Smith Bros. (Dyers) Ltd
181 Stores P.H183/185 Hooper C. greengro
187 & 189 Rails W. Ltd. outfitters
191 Mason George J. Limited,grocers
193 Favours John Ltd.cooked meats
195 Plants, photographers
197 Keys Ltd. cycle depot

199 & 201 Southan Brothers Ltd. outfitters
199 & 201 Nineveh. School of Ballroom Dancing​

Nineveh road​

Oh excellent Mikejee
It was all real. I did not imagine it. You have made my years providing this.
Nothing on the record shop then. May not have existed until the 1960's and Radio rentals I suppose.
Thanks for your help.
Sue

Not sure if it's any help Sue, but when I was a teenager in Handsworth I used to buy my records from Whites at 145 Soho Road. I guess this would be between 1953 and 1956. I still have some of my old 78s in their original covers with the shop's name and address printed on.

Judy

Hello Jayell

sorry for the delay in replying. Now you mention it, I think I remember that record shop. Up towards Soho Hill (not that far) opposite library section. Am I correct?
The one I am thinking of was more towards Bolton Road. I'll ask my sister if she remembers your record shop. Those 78's are very delicate. They crack easily. Nice you have still got them though.
Sue

Thanks Lyn

I did open one attachment, and saw the co-op (up by Flights) where I used to have dancing and acrobat lessons as a kid. Memories ... This can be quite addictive. I was researching the Regal Cinema last night at 1.30 am on my mobile phone. I am going to start a long awaited project I think...

Yes Sue, Whites Record Shop was somewhere opposite the Library if I remember correctly.

Judy

Hello Jayell

I am sure it was Green shop. Well when I knew it. Forgotten all about it though until you mentioned it.
I wish I did not have to keep logging back in all the time. This site keep timing out...

Sue

I worked at Martin's Florist on Soho Road, a few shops up towards Hockley from the Ninhiver Dance Studio (spelling may be wrong) next to the butchers. My bosses brother owned the Grove Florist on Grove Lane just around the corner from the light. Things certainly have changed. Mo

Hi Mo - I must have passed that shop hundreds of times but never noticed it. Not interested in Florists in my mid-teens!! What year would that have been?

Judy

I worked there for a year before I left school on Saturdays so it would have been 1958 to about 1962. I think the CoOp was opposite Martins and a wall paper paint shop. Not sure.
Was there a bank on one corner and a furnature shop on the other of Grove Lane, then the bus depot and Ninhiver Studio on the other. I remember Woolworths being built opposite the post office. My grand mother and Aunt lived at 76 Victoria Road, which I think is still there so I was up there a lot.
Judy Did you work on Soho Road or live around there? Mo

You would have worked at Martins after I left Handsworth Mo. I lived in Soho Avenue which was just off Soho Hill, near Villa Road. We left in 1956, but I grew up in Handsworth and spent many hours walking up and down Soho Road! I can't remember many shops I'm afraid. I used to go to a dancing school when I was really young to learn ballet, tap and acrobatics and that was just over the railway bridge on Soho Road on the side opposite the library. Then I remember Whites Record Shop, and there was a hairdressers called Maison Vivienne where my friend Jean Thomas used to work. Jean's parents ran the Blackpool Fish & Chip shop on the left hand side of Soho Road nearer to The Regal. I used to be a regular at the Ninevah Dance Studios, both having ballroom dancing lessons and to meet friends on a Saturday night. I seem to remember there was maybe a Littlewoods store just passed the Grove Lane junction. Remember well The Elite cinema, the Grand, and the Regal! Also there was a snooker hall somewhere on the left hand side.

Judy

I did a lot of the same things as you, I also had skating lessons three times a week. I belonged to St Andrews Youth Club and I was a Sea Ranger (Senior Girl Guide section). Great to think back but I do need help to remember some of the things that were there and we did. Littlewoods was next to Woolworths, wasn't it? Opposite the post office and the little market.
Did you go to the Albion Cinema, it was really nice. We used to go 10 pin bowling at Fairlanes by the Albion Football Grounds, not sure whether it was for the bowling or the Albion Football players who were very smart with college boy hair cuts and well dressed. We walked miles or caught the bus if it was there. Maureen

Hi Ladies
Judy the furniture shop on the corner of Grove Lane /Soho Road was Dudley's on the opposite corner was the Birmingham Municipal Bank later TSB and now LloydsTsb. I also think that were you went for you dancing lessons was were my mother worked as a cleaner a couple of days a week and was owned I think by a Mrs or Miss Kealing can remember going with Mom a few times in the early 50's.and if correct the dance studio was down stairs .. but its such a long time ago I may be wrong. In the late 50's together with my mates we started going to a dance studio just off Birchfield Road Perry Barr can't remember the name never did learn though was only there for the girls !!!!
Maureen we may have met at Fairlanes... together with my cousin's future husband and friends from work we played in the bowling league ... never did very well ... and after would walk down to the New Inns to drown our sorrows.
Regards
Rich

Hi Mo - yes I often went to the Albion Cinema. Guess we used the pictures a lot in those days didn't we? Didn't go to Fairlanes though, but do remember seeing West Brom come up Soho Road in an open top bus after winning the Cup - must have been about 1953! I had just met up with a date to go to The Regal. It was quite an event.

Judy

Rich - thanks for the information. Now you mention it, the name Dudleys does ring a bell, as does the Birmingham Municipal Bank. Funny how you forget these names until someone gives you a reminder. I have no idea of the name of the dancing school that I went to as a child, only that it was just over the railway bridge. It was, as you say, such a long time ago. What a coincidence if your mother worked there. Ballet, tap and acro were what we learned and I can remember my red tap shoes with the bows on arriving when I was in bed sick with Whooping Cough. Couldn't wait to get better to try them out. The Ninevah (on the corner of Soho Road and Ninevah Road) was quite different and apart from the weekly ballroom lessons, Saturdays were to meet the friends and learn how to bop!

Judy

Judy The Baggies won the cup in 1954 I remember sitting on the wall by the bus stop o/s the Regal and watching them come up Soho Road and again in 1968 was then living over a shop on Holyhead Road ... have some pictures of them passing by will have to find a thread or start one for them ... I am sure now that we have the same dance studio ...
Keep smiling
Regards
Rich

Hey Rich, you must have been sitting on the wall opposite where I was standing in 1954 when The Baggies went by!!!!

Judy

In the late 50's together with my mates we started going to a dance studio just off Birchfield Road Perry Barr can't remember the name never did learn though was only there for the girls !!!!

That was Goodwin-Harding's School Of Dance. I was kind of 'made' to go there when I was about 15 and I hated it. It put me off dancing for life, and I had to use my natural good looks and talent to pull birds..........

I've only just found this thread - interesting. As I've said on the other Soho Road thread, my wife worked at Dudley's Furnishings.

G

Hi Sue,
The Broun girls are my wife aunt's and they lived at 24 Booth Street, though by the date you give for your marriage I would think they would be
a tad older than your good self ,however you may have known my wife she went to St.James School from 1949 to 51 she then moved and went to Rookery Rd J&I ..Eugenie Mayall (now Elsmore) then ... Did you know Carol Berry ? she is my cousin and lived in Payton Road b.1942 or her older sisters Margaret & Olive . We also married at St.James's Church in 1966 ...Norah Warren from the greengrocers on the corner of Brearley Street and Booth St made her wedding dress ... I lived in Alexandra Avenue from birth in 42 to 68 when we moved to live over the green grocers next to Underwoods Off Licence on the on the corner of Brewery Street and Holyhead Road ... was there for about 18 mths ...what a dump . There are several other names of people we may both know or remember ,like
John Gardner ,Iris Benbow ,Josephine and David Davies all lived local to Brearley Street What is your maiden name ? I take it that Reeves is your married name.
Keep smiling
Regard
Rich:encouragement:

Thanks Big Gee
You've solved the mystery of the name... can you remember which road it was in .. I have this picture in my mind of a single storey new building on the corner !!! such a long time ago .
Ta!
Keep smiling
Regards
Rich

Hi thanks for that -

My maiden name was Barnett and we lived in the small part of Brearley Street just along from Phipps' the grocery store on the corner
(Mrs Phipps only died last year at 90) and I remember Warren the greengrocer. I did know Iris Benbow and her family but the other names I cannot recall. My friend lived in Payton Road - Maureen Price - her mom still lives there, I remember the flat where you lived - my mom used to clean for the furniture shop a couple of doors down by the post office I think they were jews but I cannot remember their names they had a daughter. I could go on forever such wonderful people and neighbours who would move heaven and earth to help you.

I went to Wattville J&I then onto Lordswood at the Kings Head Hagley Road after passing my 11 plus. Still hold Handsworth very close to my heart!

Thanks Sue,
So you lived in the new houses in Brearley street ... remember the sweet shop on the corner of Brewery St / Brearley St ... Phipps shop if my memory serves me correct had the Twinnings Tea sign painted on the building.. did you know Mary Collins from the Oakfield Tavern( her Mom & Dad were the licences) ... I went out with her in 1960 for a short time ... sadly she passed away a good few years back after a long illness a nice girl thought a lot of her at the time ...
Keep Smiling
Regard
Rich

Hi Rich. Sorry but the name Braun doesn't ring any bells! Would you or your wife have known my friend Jean Thomas whose parents had the Blackpool Fish & Chip shop at 369 Soho Road?

Judy

Hi Rich
The dance studio - there was one just on Livingstone Road , off Birchfield Road.

As soon as you mentioned Dudley's furniture store, I could see it, yet I had forgotton about it. The brain must be packed with so much information - I wonder if I should de-frag it.

Hi Judy
Sorry neither of us remember the fish & chip shop ... I remember the one just further up on Holyhead road between Milestone Lane and Brewery Street ... bag of fish & chips after Scout meeting at St.James school ... 9d ...our grandchildren laugh when I tell them ....There was also one in Booth Street which we used to go in and ask for a bag of batter (used to be free then they charged a 1/2d ... Oh1 for the days of Fish and Chips in yesterdays newspaper !!!
Hi SueB58
That's the road ! Just had a look on Google street and there is still a dance studion there ... not how I remember it though ... I think also that I may join you for a de-frag!!!

One last thing when looking for the location on street view of 369 Soho Rd saw next door to it Darlingtons Travel ( not sure if any clocked this in any of the other links) wonder if it's still the same family running it ?
Keep smiling
Regards
Rich

Hi All
Can anybody remember the "Tia Maria" coffee bar opposite Booth Street on the corner of Oakland Road and was that also were the "Chicken Inn " was ,which came first the "Chicken" or The "Tia Maria"?
Also can anybody remember Keans/Keens ? Book shop was it on Soho Road opposite the Regal ?
Keep Smiling
regards
Rich

I don't remember Darlingtons Travel at all.

Nor do I remember the book shop opposite the Regal. I remember a petrol station that had a chip machine, that dispensed hot chips in a bag. Around the time of 'tiger in the tank'... That was opposite the Regal, by Hodgson's funeral home.

Hi SueB58
If I remember correctly the Tia Maria was above /next to the petrol station ... when I married in 66 i am told that several of mine and the wife's relatives & friends made there way there... I have a feeling that the "Chicken Take Away " was there first but not sure....
Keep Smiling
Regards
Rich

Sue Reeves
Found another picture of Milestone Lane and the furniture shop. Go to Old Street Pictures Page 54 Link No 807 also there a several other pictures on this page of Holyhead Road ..... Do you remember the fish & chip shop in Booth Street and the Drapers shop also was the cobblers next door to Phipps shop or further down the road and just down from the Oakfield there was Sid Bonner's (think that's his name) the Barber Shop .
Keep Smiling
Regards
Rich

Back