• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Soho Hill

Astonian the photo would have been taken at the top of Soho Hill and not St Michaels. There was a church in Wretham Road. (1910)
Handsworth Wretham Road 1910.jpg

I think Astonian means #120. This photo would have been taken from the top of St Michaels Hill, which faced Villa Road.

Hi jayell good morning yes
Many thanks for putting my case foreward it was indeed the one I was referring to the one I was in deed
That was showing ,for some reason some one is setting a pace on here in putting different pictures before anybody get to
Place a thread of reply and make any comment about it
This I have notice long before now its nice to know we are bombarded with pics of the old days gone bye and see the transformation
Of dear old brum its amazeing just how these pics have come to fore on this forum from out of the wood work especially
When we was struggling by the dozens daily and flying out at such a pace ,one cannot keep up with the changing of the pics
Before any one makes there replies may be its my imagination but every time I have made a comment the pics gone
And I am there for wrong with signals
Thanks jay for putting me correct on the picture that was there before the swift hand of change was done
Have a nice day jay best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,

Astonian the photo would have been taken at the top of Soho Hill and not St Michaels. There was a church in Wretham Road. (1910)
View attachment 98362

carol what another great photo from you...new to me...i did not even know there was a church in wretham road...this one must have been taken looking towards soho hill..church no longer there but the shop you can see on the corner is the shop you can see on the left corner of my old photo on post 113...

lyn

Lynn I used to go to Sunday school in the afternoon there.

carol i dont remember that church i was living about 3 streets away in villa st but i do have a map of the area on my other pc and i think i recall seeing sunday school marked out at the back of the church...new housing built on the ground now

lyn

Lynn there used be a cut out at the side of the churchb where you could get through to another street, but I cant think of the name

It was Charville Road/Hamstead Road.

Last edited:
Lynn there used be a cut out at the side of the churchb where you could get through to another street, but I cant think of the name

It was Charville Road/Hamstead Road.

lol carol i can just imagine you climbing walls or fences to get to the other street or was it just a little walk through ?

All the missing photo on the thread have now been replaced by the original posters or by the efforts of the moderation team with images the same as or as near possible to the originals.

hello dib44 and thanks for those photos...i must say i can not remember seeing them before and right im racking my brains out as to where about on soho hill they were taken...if anyone can pinpoint the exact locations that would be great...at first glance i thought the white building in pic 1 was the pally but its not..

lyn

not sure bri...soho hill didnt go as far as grove lane did it...think it ended at villa road and then became soho road...ive just looked on the barra site and there were 5 deaths and 1 injury at no 112 and 114 soho hill and 1 death at no 144 so maybe a clue..i can make out on pic 1 the national provincial bank and to the left a company named pearks ?? will have to do a bit of research when i have more time...

lyn

Last edited:
Soho Hill did not stop at Grove Lane, but at Villa Road. From thereonin, it was Soho Road. I think the photof of the National Provincial Bank was Soho Road.

The white building mention is a Burtons shop at 200 Soho Rd and not Soho Hill, dib44 was looking to replace 2 photo that were lost earlier in the thread and thought that these were they.

thanks for those 2 cracking photos richie...the 2nd one has a building on the right hand side with like an arch over it....not sure yet but i think that is still there and is either the market hall or snooker hall entrance..

lyn

Looking at some of the Photographs reminds me of that area in Early 1960 through to 1970. First the Shops opposite the Roebuck Pub was a Ladies outfitter, and was derelict for many years, the women who owned it had a son who lived there for many years even when derelict. The shops on the top of Soho Hill just before the Pub I remember there was a Sub-Post office and newsagent and the Modern School of Motoring with a Driving instructor Known as Wilf quite a local character in Handsworth he used to Drink at the Club Polski where the Temple now is, also my Father sadly left my Mom for another Lady who lived with her Mother over the Modern School of motoring, she became Mrs Edna Court when her and my Father married but don't recall her maiden name but she did work for the Electrical contractors on the corner of Richmond Rd, she had a Sister Hilda whose married name was Musson and lived in The Crescent off South Road where we lived she was always ' muss ' to us and was loved dearly by us. Also I notice a Shoe Shop called Orchards we used to have our shoes from him on Tick and was a bit of a Tally man, I think he had other shoe shops in Bearwood and Small Heath. Loved all the photographs. Thank You

another new one for this thread folks..showing no 83 soho hill...i have also moved this thread to the streets section of the forum

lyn

Attachments

• 83 Soho Hill.JPG
    83 Soho Hill.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Rear of card.JPG
    Rear of card.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Hi Lyn. It looks like the house has an advertising board along the roof edge, yet it seems to be a residential property. Viv.

hi viv i noticed that but thought it was just a trick of light as it is an old photo having said that you could be right as having researched the matthews family with help from mike they did run a family business from this address which was whip socket making for carriages..as you can see from this map it was a fairly large house..the photo would dated from around 1909 to 1919 and could show mr samuel matthews in the front garden..hard to tell as it could be mrs matthews lol

lyn

Attachments

• map c 1950 showing 83 soho hill.jpg
    map c 1950 showing 83 soho hill.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Thanks Lyn. The sign writing might have worn away then. And it seems such a large sign, as though it's a large company. Viv.

viv its such a shame that so many fine houses were demolished on that side of soho hill..but as they say thats progress and at least we do have a few photos now

lyn

I agree, Viv, it does seem a shame that these buildings should have been demolished, however, I used to go past them on the bus to work every day, and by 1965 they were a bit of a sad sight, not falling down, just very neglected. If the owner/Council had had the blessing of foresight, they may have fought demolition. What's there now is an absolute eyesore in my opinion. The problem was that the A41 was just to narrow to cope with the traffic, it's the main road to Holyhead, but nobidy expected traffic as we have it now.

I have to agree with you Shortie. I used to walk passed all these houses on my way to and work on Hockley Hill back in 1954, and it was so much nicer then than it is today. I haven't been back for a while but the area was unrecognisable last time I was there.

Judy

Back