• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Soho Foundry

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Went with some friends to look at Soho Foundry @ Averys yesterday and can highly recommend the trip. We arranged it via email with John Durran, the curator of Avery's museum and he was brilliant! He took us round the cottages still standing (one once lived in by Murdock, who discovered how to use gas to illuminate), then we looked at the old Foundry - from the outside only because English Heritage are putting a temporary roof on until money can be found to restore it. There is the "James Watt" painted sign still visible on the outside. We then had a short tour of Averys factory, once buzzing with thousands of employees but now (inevitably) down to a few dozen because everything's computerised. It was incredible to see the George Salter part of the operation reduced to a small room, when once it was a huge employer in West Brom. Finally, a visit to the museum, which isn't as 'dry' as we thought it would be! John Durran is so knowledgeable and friendly, he even makes weighing machines interesting. All in all, we were there over two hours and enjoyed every minute of it. The cottages have been used for storage and have fallen into disrepair, but they're listed buildings and it seems that someone is finally looking into replacing the windows and setting up repairs. There is an enormous amount of history there and it's well worth a visit. Sadly for British manufacturing, the raw material for Avery's scales comes from China and the company is owned by an American company in Illinois. A sign of the times I guess.:(

I have passed this building quite a few times recently and had no idea you could book a visit. Thanks for the info I'm sure I will be visiting in the near future.

Well worth a trip Jules - but be aware that John Durran is only there two days a week, Mondays and Tuedays I think.

It sounds wonderful Charlie thanks for the information. My gt grandfather was a manager at Salters in West Brom and my granny's brother worked there as well. Now I realy fancy visit.:)

"Time Team" carried out an excavation around Soho Foundry to try and find the extent of the place. They were in and out of people's backyards and digging up pavements. They found plenty of metal items including coin blanks.

I wasn't aware that the place was open to the public. May treat myself some day soon.

I once had to visit Soho House (home of James Watt) to measure up for some druggetts (red felt carpeting) to protect the floor. The person I met gave me a conducted tour - interesting bit of Brum history.

Big Gee

Big Gee: Soho House was the home of Matthew Boulton rather than James Watt. I'm sure there's a thread and lots of info on this Forum. It's a wonderful place, now a museum and FREE ENTRY (always a bonus)!
Boulton had a Mint at the Foundry and a lot of the minted coins are preserved at Averys Museum. For those more interested in the Weighing Side of Avery's, they have some really large, old, cumbersome scales that will still "tip" when you put a coin on one end. The precision is amazing.
Wendy: I found it quite sad that the Salters side of the operation was reduced to one room on a huge factory floor when you think they used to be one of the largest employers in West Brom.

Did anyone take any photo's of the Soho foundry? I always wanted to see the old Beans Foundry, but alas it's all been demolished now :(

sorry but didn't take any photos of the Foundry @ Soho...or the cottages....or even the local pub! Forgot my camera and could have wept!

popped down that way today and got some piccies...will post asap folks

lyn

last few

lyn

Attachments

• AVERYS AND COTTAGES 014.JPG
    AVERYS AND COTTAGES 014.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 18
  • AVERYS AND COTTAGES 016.JPG
    AVERYS AND COTTAGES 016.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 18
  • AVERYS AND COTTAGES 017.JPG
    AVERYS AND COTTAGES 017.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 18
  • AVERYS AND COTTAGES 018.JPG
    AVERYS AND COTTAGES 018.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 18
  • AVERYS AND COTTAGES 019.JPG
    AVERYS AND COTTAGES 019.JPG
    376.6 KB · Views: 19
The pics in Post 12 show the openings above doorways have been bricked up and judging by the new appearance of the brick not too long ago. Other than that and a few repairs to brickwork little seems to have altered over time.
A great set of present day pics. I have to be honest the Soho area and its works were not on my usual haunts.

hi alan i believe that there was still (not sure if its still there now) a part of soho foundry at the back of the building..would love to find out about that..would need to find out who i would contact to ask the question..will get back if i can find out anything..

lyn

This takes me back. I was a commercial graduate trainee with W&T Avery in the early '70s. They sponsored my Business Studies degree and as well as time at the Soho Foundry I spent time at their Manchester and London offices. I have happy memories of one Christmas booze up at the Soho Foundry Tavern - enough said. Although I never joined the sales team I did attend a couple of sales training courses and became pretty fluent in describing the product range. Probably taking a risk here but I attach a photo from one of the sales training courses. I am on the back row, second from the left. I just wish I still had that much hair!

001.jpg

In a photograph of the Bull Ring/St.Martins area, on this Forum, is picture of the road leading up from Digbeth to the Moor Street junction which shows a large building occupied by W& T Avery. Being in a very prominent position I presume this to be the company sales showrooms and offices.

Back