• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Societies: Working Mens Clubs

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
I watched a Programe last night on BBC 2 called LAST ORDERS it was made by a American Film Maker Henry Singer, who spent 4 Months with them.

It was a Working Mans Club in BRADFORD and was great.

Anybody who has BBCi can catch it again and I'll tell you it will be worth it, just to see the decline of a once busy Club and how it is now.

It's got everything that most of you know about Working Mens Clubs and how I knew them.

How do you remember them?

Club Chairmen, Committe's Row's etc you know the sort of thing. Even going with Mom & Dad & Family:)

Yes I was a Committe Member & Hon Sec myself.:rolleyes:

Haven't seen the programme myself, but my mate was talking about it - I think it was on in the South East on Thursday. He was very impressed, and I would quite like to have seen it.
At least we have our date next July at the Barn Club in Witton, which is a good modern equivalent, to hear Carl Chinn speaking.
Peter

I watched it

Hello Alf,:) I watched it i felt quite sorry for those men, (sign of the times) but to me, Tragic, some people need a place to meet and unwind and to chat with friends...............Cat:)

I'm glad you saw it Cat,

Its over 20years since I was involved, the sad thing is nothing seems to have changed the Chairman had been there on Comittee for 34 years and he was 84 years of age. I would not have been elected the normal way I was co opted as nobody else wanted it. But my hands were tied once there must have been my age.:(

Last edited:
I watched the programme Alf, it was yet another example of the decline of the clubs in working class areas, many factors contribute I feel, drink driving laws, more money about and people wanting a more sophisticated night out, and as you touched on the intransigence of "the committee" to try new ideas. What was great in 1968 isn't now in 2008. I feel sorry to see the loss of this part of the culture, although I was never a big fan of them, but have enjoyed the occasional night out at a club. The Barn at Witton was and is in a different league to the small club featured, but I think they are struggling a bit now, as the people who enjoyed them in their heyday are getting old and dying off, and they don't appeal much to the younger generation.

"Last Orders" was an excellent programme and definitely worth watching on iplayer or replay if you can get it. It was very sad to see how things are changing, and with the loss of the Club the community loses a valuable meeting place, and perhaps for some the only place left to meet friends.

I have no experience with Working Men's Clubs but does anyone remember the one on the left hand side of Witton Road, opposite the Library. I used to pass it every day at one time. I haven't seen that programme about them but I remember them being featured in some films especially up in Northern England
where there were many of them.

Many years ago I was entertainments secretary for a social club in the black country. I was charged with obtaining acts on a limited budget.
Some of the artistes I managed to book, before thgey became famous were , Joe Longthorne,Cannon and ball, and by far the most popular Chas and Dave.

A bit of a coincidence Alfie, but today Brian and me went into Hamstead Social Club, It is 70 years old this year, when it was built it was called Hamstead Miners Club. The lads were in having their Sunday lunchtime pints, some of them had worked down the pit, some were the sons or brothers of miners. They were lovely, and I was swopping stories of the old days and the people we all knew. One sign if the times, the door is locked and you have to identify yourself on an intercomto get in!!!

When I was a kid, our Dad belonged to the Brookvale social Club in Erdington. Most nights he and mom trundled up for the 'last hour' and at the weekends I went with them and sat in the childrens room watching the telly. A big treat for me as we didn't have one. The Avengers were all the rage and 77 Sunset strip. I loved it!!!!!!!
When I got older, my husband to be and I trundled up with them. There often was a dance on a saturday night, and also the compulsary game of bingo. Then there was the weekly raffle. My goodness the memories come flooding back. The politics of it was fun. Mr Trappitt was the secretary, and they were always having a go about him poor man. Then there was Jack Bolton and Percy two of my Dads mates. with there little money bags with the tote in.
Mom and Dad were in their 50-60's at this time and it was part of their lives. Back then as working class people it was how they filled their leisure time. There were many 'fishing trips' and different coach trips which as a kid growing up in Erdington was very pleasurable.
Yes. Working mens clubs were a haven for the working class man, and gave a lot of pleasure to many families.
Regards to all
Lynda

Working mens clubs.

JennyAnne. My husband remembers the club opposite the library at the top of Witton road. He can't remember what sort of club it was though. He was born in that road and they have a reunion with old neighbours now and again. TTFN. Jean.

Working Mens clubs,
Anyone recognise these members of I think , Cromwell st. working Mens clubs dart team,
my father john [jack ] Williams is standing far right.
I hope this works,

Back