• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

So Sad

dennis

master brummie
Just heard on news that three more of our lads were killed in Iraq they were from our area two from Tamworth,and one from Nuneaton,
These lads were only doing their duty,no axe to grind with the Iraqi people, don't suppose they wanted to be there,I can only offer my deepest condolances to the family and friends of these brave lads
Who have to brave these cowardly attacks day after day

Our beautiful young boys, gone before they had chance to live their lives.

My deepest sympathy goes out to their families.

'Where have all the young men gone...'

'...When will they ever learn...' :?:
My thoughts are with their families.

Chris :)

Such a waste of lives. Yes, Chris, "the answer my friend is blowing in the wind".

One life..

Three soldiers were killed in Iraq over the weekend..
Three more lives added to the growing list of people sacrificed on the
altar of Tony Blairs quest to get his name into history..
It's not like I'm against the war on terrorism of course I'm not...no sane
person should be, but this one is based on Oil reserves, profits and lies.
I'm not too sure of the total so far (for which I should be ashamed of
myself) but the latest deaths meant a little bit more to me this time..
Leon Spicer was 26 year old he was a friend of my youngest daughters' boyfriend Ant.
They both went to Belgrave School in Tamworth...they shared classes,
Teachers and sports..
Ant chose to pursue a living as an Electrician, his friend chose a career
in the Army.
Now I know Soldiers do at times face dangerous situations...that's their
job...the particular nature of their beast..
But kids shouldn't die...should they?
Ant will hopefully marry my Daughter one day..I have to say, I really hope he does, I love him to bits.
He might even have children..I have enough love in me to to ensure those
children will live each day in sunshine if he does..
He will also travel... see the World and it's wonderful sights.
He will also hopefully know the joy of watching those children grow and
blossom into all they can be, to watch them find their own happiness..
And if he does this with my daughter I too will revel in the richness of
life..
But his friend wont..
He will lie in a silent grave or perhaps his ashes will scatter to the
corners of the Earth, unloved and unremembered...no children to carry on
his name or speak of him with misty eyes..
Tony Blair once said that if he's wrong on all this, then he will answer to
his God..
Tell me...who do you answer to if there isn't one?

I guess he will be judged by history, Kandor. But that doesn't help us now does it. Bush has led Blair and Howard and other countries into a living hell called Iraq. I agree their presence their is based on lies. I don't know what we can do to ensure the safety our children and children's children except make sure they are fully informed about what is happening in the world and see both sides of the story.

I hope Leon won't be unremembered and unloved Kandy while there are family around to pass on what he was like, who he resembled and his ultimate sacrifice for his Country. . Whilst researching family history for someone in Canada my daughter and I came across a war grave in a corner of a country cemetery, it was uncared for and obviously no one had been there for ages. Annie and I have adopted him and today we will take some flowers, because he isn't forgotten.
I can't even begin to comment on the war [sorry conflict] in Iraq, it makes me so sad, despairing and angry, the lies and the misleading of the people, the sacrifices. I sincerely hope that every life and body maimed lost weighs heavily on our leader's heart, but I don't think it does.

Peace in Our time

:( I hope that our fallen heroes are brought home in honour,,
Whatever the "rights or wrongs" They did their duty & deserve dignity.

While "Black Gold" rules this Global Economy there will never be Peace,
Lennon,esque I do "Imagine" but pained to admit,, Not in Our time,,

Strangely enough,, Our Heroes fallen in earlier conflicts,,buried in
"Foreign Fields" are possibly more revered & well tended than here at times.

The magnificent work of The Commonwealth War Graves Commission &
The excellent Cemetery "Groundsmen" of ALL nationalitys make these places
of such sadness into Beauty & Peace for "them" in perpetuity :)

Amen to that John

My maternal grandfather is buried in a military cemetary in Malta, when i visited a few years ago I was staggered by the way the place was kept so beautifully.

A sorry week for 'The Staffs'.

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Great to see New members such as STUART above,
Good posting Mate & Welcome Home a "Brummie" at Heart,, :) john

It is so important to me that we should have a day to remember our fallen, and our men who have seen horrors that no man should ever have to face. I hope our children and grandchldren will never let the 11th hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month fade from this Islands memory.

I do so agree with all the postings concerning the latest deaths, but as I said after one remembrance day. The only way to commemorate their deaths is to make sure there is no more war. Now I know that is not an easy thing to expect, but just as war and hatred is taught on a mothers knee, we can teach peace and harmony to our young. I bought my 4 children up to love their country and to look after it, but not to kill another human being because that country said so. On the other hand, if someone chooses to fight for their country, then they have the right to do what they want, too. But while I am on my soap box, that doctor who had already accepted the 'Kings shilling' so to speak, had no right to expect to come out of the forces because they expected him to go to a dangerous area.
Honestly. These women do go on! :knuppel2:
Lynda

its time we had a leader with a mind of his own, and who puts england before all else, you cant dictate how other countries are run,
they dont seem to grasp the danger of these ill thought wars have on our ill equipped soldiers, the iraqui war was all based on lies,
these lies have cost a lot of young men there lives, i hope blair and bush can sleep at night, and looks after the familys left behind,
from these soldiers deaths, children who will never know there fathers, wives left alone to bring them up in a country that does not seem to care anymore.

they say money is the root of all evil, but oil not far behind.

jake

..and yet...we don't always have to believe the sensationalist money hungry newspapers. ???

Would a prime minister with a mind of his own get involved in an illegal invasion of Iraq - or Afghanistan for that matter?
Peter

exactly!
I think some believe he's stupid or politically suicidal, (and I am not a Labour voter!!!!)
Can we not conceive that he, and others, know things that we are NOT privvy to...for the sake of security...and stopping widespread panic?
Yes, I know this is worrying, but think back to WWII...
is it hidden from us because this country no longer has the guts and is too selfish and materialistic to cope???  :( :(

Mazbeth, it seems to me that both Bush and Blair have caused panic and paranoia, rather than preventing it.
Why do we have more security cameras than any other country?
Peter

We've just heard on our news that our Prime Minister Howard has declined to offer any more troops but don't think he has gone as far to withdraw the ones there. It was very very wrong from the start.

I think the sad thing is, that Bush and Blaire claimed to be doing all this to improve the lives of the people living in the countries that are at war. It seems most of the people are far worse off now as their homes have been bombed by one side or the other and there are hundreds or thousands of orphans. They don't have the facilities for the children to live in and don't have the money or access to provisions to make them comfortable.

It is hard to believe there is so much suffering in the 21st century. Not just in the countries the media choose to write about but places we don't hear about. My wish for 2007 is that if nothing else all the third world countries will have clean water to drink and the western world find a way of providing some basic food for those that need it. :'(

Jake and Peter right on - Bush and Blair went against the United Nations - Iraq is a sovereign country the war is illegal - And we were fed a bunch of lies just to get a foot hold in the Middle East - it's oil they were after- Now over 8 billion dollars the US have lost track of in the Oil for food plan - think most politicians are liars and it's we who suffer for their incompetent behaviour

The United Nation will cease to exist within 10 years as it is a lame duck going nowhere...... concept was good ..........but someone has to be in charge but Who ?
What a ruddy mess its all become .....LIE after LIE .....Fiddle after Fiddle

I agree!
the United Nations (task forces/military etc etc) are a law unto themselves...they're not serving others, just like the corrupt E.U..

Yes, there are many Liars, especially the money-spinning newspapers, getting people believing their spin on anything.

I don't get my facts from newspaper sources.

A good friend of mine has a son who is an R.S.M. in the British Army. I will not divulge any more than that but he is sure the fighting is justified, he also says that we in England only know what we are told and although we are not told lies, it is no where near the full story. He said it is dreadful out there but what they are doing has to be done for the future of world peace. Another point he makes is that none of them should be singled out for bravery or heroism because they are all of the same mind. They look out for each other and any of his men will risk death to save a friend.
I am proud to know this man and his family.

Stitcher I totally agree. I won't say why but for the same reasons as you.:)

Wendy, my friends son was been decorated by the Queen about a year ago. His parents are terribly worried for him when he is over there. His next tour of duty will be his fourth I think, either third or fouth I'm not sure. What is amazing is his attitude, when he comes home after several months, it reminds me of how I was when I had been away for the week with my lorry.
God bless em all and lets all hope it won't go on for too much longer.

Back