• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Snowploughs

H

harborne

I see they're not gritting any more in Worcestershire as presumably they've run out of grit. They're using snowploughs apparently. Didn't we used to have only snowploughs many years ago; isn't gritting a relatively new thing? I don't remember the traffic getting all snarled up in the sixties and further back (not telling you how long!) Correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps we should never have got rid of them in the first place.

Harborne

At Green Meadow Junior School near Northfield the children didn't go out to play for nine weeks in the winter of 1963. I don't remember any of the roads being gritted or any snowploughs being used. OR THE SCHOOL BEING CLOSED.
Janet

The chaos of the last few days is inevitable given how we live now. In years gone by the weather was worse but most teachers and kids lived within walking distance of the school and many of us could walk to work. Now we are totally dependant on transport, usually our cars.

I am still doing the job I started 30 years ago when I could walk to work. The company I work for has been bought and sold a few times and I have been moved a few times. Now I work in Solihull but still live in Rubery and I haven't seen a piece of grit all week. Oh how I wish I could still walk to work.

I see they're not gritting any more in Worcestershire as presumably they've run out of grit. They're using snowploughs apparently. Didn't we used to have only snowploughs many years ago; isn't gritting a relatively new thing? I don't remember the traffic getting all snarled up in the sixties and further back (not telling you how long!) Correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps we should never have got rid of them in the first place.

Harborne
Anyone remember when the bus routes and pavements were always gritted by several men throwing grit from a shovel from the back of a converted Crossley bus ?

Barry I indead do. We have not come on much since those days infact I reckon we've gone backwards. Jean.

Why not use the long time unemployed, who are fit enough, to clear the pathways and earn their money!

Why not use the long time unemployed, who are fit enough, to clear the pathways and earn their money! Bilsat may be an idea but what about proper jobs:( sorry have been down that road before:(the snowploughs work overtime and we run out of salt for the roads what happened to forward planning like the yellow bins that used to be by major roads where if you were stuck you could shovel some onto the road and be on your way again if there were more of those around side roads it may help ease things :)trouble is how long would they last :(

I remember those bins OH and they came to mind right away. We went through the exact same situation here in Vancouver over Christmas. Talking heads all over the place about the state of the roads and the City selling off a lot of the snowploughs because we don't get snow very often. Lack of salt and grit...the whole nine yards including the unemployed, etc. Not so many schools as I thought were closed though.
One thing I did see were some of these very large trucks 4500 etc. with
a snow plough attachment which you can buy. These guys were hiring themselves out at night and weekends to clear snow in private homes and
shop parking lots.

jenny ann we have the same old problem everytime a bit of snow and our world comes to a stand still why people in other parts where snow etc is a way of life cope with it a lot better than we do or so it seems? the yellow bins if there were enough of em could be filled over the autumn period and the salt stores could be maintained I would have thought then we wouldnt run out :) where I live the Hill at the back gets snowdrifts everytime it snows and they have to use a JCB to clear that one:)

Back