• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Snow!

Lloyd

master brummie
Comprising train and track footage quickly shot just before a heavy winter's snowfall was melting, the award-winning classic that emerged from the cutting-room compresses British Rail's dedication to blizzard-battling into a thrilling eight-minute montage cut to music. Tough-as-boots workers struggling to keep the line clear are counterpointed with passengers' buffet-car comforts.

In a mere half-dozen films released between 1959 and 1975, director Geoffrey Jones revealed himself as an outstanding talent, embracing industrial filmmaking as consistent with a personal style, blending movement and sound into a joyous, rhythmic whole. Brilliantly aided by Wolfgang Suschitzky's shimmering camerawork, the Oscar-nominated 'Snow' is Jones' masterpiece. It's crisply invigorating enough to induce brief amnesia about our trains' notorious inability to cope with the white stuff - then and now. (Patrick Russell)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTP3IPi-fug"]YouTube - Snow (1963)[/ame]

Comprising train and track footage quickly shot just before a heavy winter's snowfall was melting, the award-winning classic that emerged from the cutting-room compresses British Rail's dedication to blizzard-battling into a thrilling eight-minute montage cut to music. Tough-as-boots workers struggling to keep the line clear are counterpointed with passengers' buffet-car comforts.

In a mere half-dozen films released between 1959 and 1975, director Geoffrey Jones revealed himself as an outstanding talent, embracing industrial filmmaking as consistent with a personal style, blending movement and sound into a joyous, rhythmic whole. Brilliantly aided by Wolfgang Suschitzky's shimmering camerawork, the Oscar-nominated 'Snow' is Jones' masterpiece. It's crisply invigorating enough to induce brief amnesia about our trains' notorious inability to cope with the white stuff - then and now. (Patrick Russell)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTP3IPi-fug

Wonderful pictures great film of Jubilee Class Barbados 45597.

Have a look at the camera on the front of The Barnstaple to Ilfacombe.:)

Rode our bikes on the Barnstable to Ilfacombe track over the past few years & *Barnstable to Great Torrington.
*Fantastic coastal route as far as Instow.Very good walking on the flat if that your thing.
MY have some pics if i can find them?

Great post Lloyd, puts the Leaves on the Line Brigade to shame, should show it everyday to new staff.:)

The line on the north Devon coast is now know as the TARKA TRAIL constructed along the old railway track for walker & bikers. Miss the old steam trains but what a fantastic trail they have left for the future generation to enjoy.
just some pics of the trail take from the internet as mine have yet to be downloaded.

The line on the north Devon coast is now know as the TARKA TRAIL constructed along the old railway track for walker & bikers. Miss the old steam trains but what a fantastic trail they have left for the future generation to enjoy.
just some pics of the trail take from the internet as mine have yet to be downloaded.

Hi Baron.

We live 1 mile from Instow & Fremington, which is pictures in middle is Yelland bingo, Sorry Brum you'd have to drag me back, we love it down here.We look across to Appledore, Crow point, Saunton Sands Hotel, and RAF Chivenor Rescue Helicopters.:D

If you interseted in the old rail track there is very good 2 DVD Branch Line Video, Memories of the Barnstaple to Ilfracombe Line.

It's available at the old signal box at Instow open on Sundays.

I remember the old Steam line from when I come holiday to Ilfracombe 1955, we came down on the overnight train from Snow Hill Station (GWR).

what a great piece of film,
is that the right type of snow?
because all you here when we get snow on the lines now is it,s the wrong snow,mind you that was steam, i suppose it,s electric that's the problem.
i,m with Alf though,they should show it to trainees.
regards dereklcg.

Hello Ray, don't worry about being away from Brum, I've away since 1958 except for a spell between Oct 1979 & Jan 1980 and I've been here in Nacton Suffolk for 20 years now.:)

Barron did you pass through a place called Mortehoe North Devon?. My cousin moved there from Brum years ago and bought the cottage guest house next to the lighthouse. She unfornuately did in 2002. She had some wonderful years there and used to love walking with her husband Bob. There was a disaster close by many years ago if I remember corectly. BYE. Jean.

Yes Gee Gee Jean, Woolacombe & Mortehoe have been my holiday spots from 1955 upto july this year. (with the other place in my heart being St Ives & far south west).
We have walked from Mortehoe to Ilfracombe via the Lee Bay Lighthouse as well as Combe martin Hunters Inn, even spent our Honeymoon at the Combes Hotel in Woolacombe in 1962 (now The Grand).
Have you seen what they are doing to the old Motehoe/Woolacombe Railway station its all but go exept for the main station building, I under stand they are to build houses on the site? how that junction has change from 1955.
Gee Gee, I could go on & on about that part of the world as I love it so.

Ray you are a lucky Guy to have all that on you door step. The lady nextdoor to us has her Mom & Dad living down at Bicklton not far from you.
Had a funny thing happen at Instow some years ago I was water sking off Crow Point with my Pal driving the boat as we came over to the Instow side of the river Taw the out board engine started to junp out of the water my Pal pulled the plug, the boat keeled over & I stood in about a foot of water we had been caught by the ebbing tide,we just looked at each other in dismay how do we get back to Crow Point?
A long wait thats how!!!
Keith

Baron do you remember Eastaway cottage in between the lighthouse and caravan park. That was my late cousins guest house. Her two daughters owned B and B's also. Would love to visit again. I will sort out some photo's of views from Beat and Bobs garden. Do you remember I started the thread Bluddy Padmore well he was Bobs brother. Bye. Jean.

Hi JEAN, that disaster you speak off, was it the burning down of that hotel opp; the caravan park just up the lane from cousins cottage, someone got killed I think?
YOU KNOW WE ARE TOTALY OF TOPIC, may be we should start a new one on holidays & life in woolacombe & mortehoe?
Keith

Baron I have a thread going called Good times which mainly talks about places both our parents and ourselves have visited. Give us 5 and I will write something there to bring it to todays page. Jean.

Back