• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Snow Hill Clock - Platform 7

I'm always surprised at what you find on here and today it was oldMohawk referring to his holidays at Arley .
We used to rent a holiday home from our greengrocer towards the end of WWII and upto 1948.
It was a single Decker bus that was being added onto (and therefore spoilt in my opinion but the extra bedroom would have been a godsend to the adults). The little drivers cab had a gasring on a shelf and the door led out to the rain water barrel which was only used for pots of tea. All other water had to be carried up that hill from a spring between the island referred to and the tea room by the ferry which had one of those ads for Hovis bread or the stream in the woods that lay the other way towards Pound Green. Either way seemed a hell of a long way with a couple of enamel buckets of water.
The farmer who let out his fields would not even sell water from his well and had a vicious dog chained up to guard it from us townies.
Much more comes to mind but it's getting late here Down Under and it's past my meal time.

Cheers Tim

Back