• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill Clock - Platform 7

thanks mikejee for the info . i know for sure that John Walker made the clock in the booking hall, and the one on the outside of the building.
my grandmother .maiden name Doris francis Walker told me before she died in 1994 at the ripe old age of 95 that her great grandad John Walker
had made the clock on the outside of the building, and wanted to find out about the other clocks.
there were so many questions you should ask your granparents and never think at the time, and then its all too late . thanks again

Wonderful Richie , worth waiting for Excellent thank you. Max

Earlier in the thread people were asking what became of the clock at Snow hill. I have just come across an article from the Mercury in 1977 which states that it was then at the Wightwick Hall School for Physically Handicapped Children, Wolverhampton, with a blurred picture, below. judging by the (poor) view from the road on streetview at https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...d=-zKY-70Yy2bu6atSadzQmw&cbp=12,253.85,,2,-10 it is still there
Mike

Wightwick_Hall_school.jpg

hi i am new to this site , but i am looking for information on the clocks in snowhill station., from when it was first built, my great great grandad ,john walker made the clock on the outside of snowhill,and the one in the booking hall, not sure if he
made the one on platform seven. do you know what name was on the face of this clock.?

I'm coming in very late on this, but have been searching the whereabouts of the booking hall clock for years!!

Though the above states it was made by John Walker (and that indeed was the name on the face of it when it was erected), it would appear that the casing was actually made by my great-grandfather's business ("William Lerwill"). Members of the family were always told "that's a Lerwill Clock" when going through Snow Hill station.

William Lerwill was in business as a clockcase maker from the 1860s until ca 1923 when he retired (aged 80) and sold the business to another company who moved it to Oldham. He was based latterly at Milk Street in Digbeth and sold many clocks in the old Market Hall. Any information about his clocks would be gratefully received - he was particularly good at making Eagle wall-clocks.

There is a nice photo of the clock on Platform 7 here.
https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1129.htm
I used to hang around the station entrance with a group after ice skating. It always seemed a somewhat more 'refined' station compared to New Street - but it was GWR...
friendly_wink.png

I've heard that before, and although I didn't get to experience either station back in the 1950's or 60's, I can see from old pictures that Snow Hill had better facilities. It should be considered that that incarnation of Snow Hill had opened in 1912 so the station wasn't that old, whereas New Street dated from the 1850's and 1880's and hadn't changed much by the 1960, apart from the loss of the LNWR roof.

G'Day Harbornite76 we were there in Snow hill trying to get a few No's that the other kids couldn't get, ;)
it was always the Bluebird diesel rail car, but the memory is...... well you know, thanks anyway!

If you look at (black & white) photos of the railcar and the Blue Pullman from the front they do look similar

I'm always surprised at what you find on here and today it was oldMohawk referring to his holidays at Arley .
We used to rent a holiday home from our greengrocer towards the end of WWII and upto 1948.
It was a single Decker bus that was being added onto (and therefore spoilt in my opinion but the extra bedroom would have been a godsend to the adults). The little drivers cab had a gasring on a shelf and the door led out to the rain water barrel which was only used for pots of tea. All other water had to be carried up that hill from a spring between the island referred to and the tea room by the ferry which had one of those ads for Hovis bread or the stream in the woods that lay the other way towards Pound Green. Either way seemed a hell of a long way with a couple of enamel buckets of water.
The farmer who let out his fields would not even sell water from his well and had a vicious dog chained up to guard it from us townies.
Much more comes to mind but it's getting late here Down Under and it's past my meal time.

Cheers Tim

Back