• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snooker Halls

dwilly

master brummie
Driving down Walford Road tonight I passed the snooker/billiard hall just past the junction with the Stratford Road, passed it many times but never been in. Remember as a teen going to the one on Bordesley Green East, up toward the Blues ground. Although neither looking in the best state of repair these days these halls must have been glorious buildings in their hay day. So was wondering what memories people have of these hall, and others around Birmingham. Just how many of them were there and how many survive?

From the outside looking in they always appear a little seedy, dimly lite and mainly containing men but need to be this way to allow the game to be played. I guess they haven't changed much over the years. Have an image in my mind of them being very smoky places in the past and more like gentlemen’s clubs.

dwilly

I used a fair few snooker halls in my time including the one you mention, but preferred Ted's in Alfred St a few minutes walk away.

In 1937 there were 40 billiard halls listed in Birmingham, In 1950 it had dropped to 23 and in 1967 there were only 7.

Don't read too much into that other than most player transferred to social clubs because no social club worth its while didn't have a couple of tables. The one I used had four tables and was more like a snooker hall than a social club.

Phil

hello all i used to go to a snooker club in Alum Rock in the early60's, and the one opposite Rocky lane Aston.

shardeen

I've frequented quite a few snooker venues in my time.... Walford Road, Bordesley Green, the Arcadia on Alum Rock Road facing Southalls, Stratford Road/Showell Green Lane junction, Acocks Green island, the Highfield Road Club, the Musicians' Club off Suffolk Street, Park Lane at Aston Cross, one at Kingstanding Circle, Saltley Amatuer Gardeners, the British Legion clubs at Sheldon, Knowle and Dudley Road, The Barn at Witton, the Morris Club, Tally Ho, Stechford and Solihull police clubs ...etc....etc. Blimey, as a tee-totaller, I can't believe how much time I spent in boozing holes - but my visits were purely for the snooker facilities, honest. :)

I've had my own table for about 20 years and still get much pleasure from playing the game. Even devised my own game which I call 'Pooker', which embraces both snooker and 9-ball pool rules. I got thrashed 10-6 tonight by my son-in-law so I'm a bit 'ratty' at the moment. :sigh:

BTW... should be a good final tomorrow between Robertson and Ding. :thumbup:

Me and my mate were always in the snooker room at the Custard house (I wonder how it got that name?) because we were going out with the gaffers daughters in between games.

Hi

started at the Pickle Cabbage Acocks Green Dick Kniight
Sportswriter for the Evening Dispatch played there,
Spent 5 Years at the Sports Club at Kynochs and also
the Club at Witton Island where the Villa lads played still
can see Dugdale McParland in my mind. Played for 5 years
on the Soho Road Handsworth whilst I was at Handsworth Tech
The Island at Acocks Green over Burton till it closed. The Ivor
Club Sparkhill for 3 years. Saturday's upstairs at Yates Wine lodge
a couple of other we went to in town.
Most of my Snooker is now at the Shirley Social Club .

Best brake circa 1980 was 68.
best recent red black and full colur clearance.
Nearly 60 years on the tables it never gets any easier.
Great game

Mike Jenks

Nobody ever get in the club at the bottom of the Piccadilly Arcade in town, not sure of the name after all these years now but it might have been the Piccadilly. If you came out of there with your shirt still on your back you were a lucky man. They could have taught Paul Newman a trick or two.

Phil

Hi

Thats the one we went in there a couple of times.
Didnt seem the sought of place you hung around for long.
Many happy hours in Yates Wine lodge.

Mike Jenks

I grew up using the one in Bordesley Green, think it was called Frames, its still there as I drive past it on occasion. As I was only a kid it was in my pre drinking days, not even sure it was licensed. However, abiding memory is the coffee served in plain white mugs, camp liquid coffee made with boiled sterra ! mmmmmm !

Back