• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smiths

Catsclaws

master brummie
I am looking for the family of my Grandmother .
Its very difficult because she was off the barges . Her name was Sarah Smith 1891 to 1963 she married John william Payton 1st and then Freddie Rhodes after he died . She had a good part of her life on the coal barges and then came to live at 72 Cherrywood RD bordesley green . When she married Freddie Rhodes she moved to nechells 72 Willis street in the late 50s .... she ended her days in a road near the gas works and died at the age of 72 .
She was an amazing woman who still slept in all of her clothes .. this was common amongst bargees .. she couldnt read or write and Swore like mad ... she liked a bet and a pub crawl wound Nechells with her little black and white dog and me her 3 year old grandaughter :)
I wonder if any one remembers her or knows how to research her ?
Jean Grahame

Marriage registered for Sarah Smith and John W. Payton in Aston, 3rd quarter 1915 vol 6d page 1006

The following 'Payton' births with a mother's maiden name 'Smith' registered in Aston near and following that date are:
Ethel, 2nd Quarter 1915
Lily, 2nd Quarter 1921
Stanley, 3rd Quarter 1923
do they fit?

Tar bab . Well Thats really odd cos thats my nan and thats my grandad , but that isnt their kids .. even the wedding dates are correct and grandad middle name .. They had abut 6 kids .. Anne ,Lilly , Sissy, Violet , Thomas and my dad the baby Harry .
You are so good looking for me .. Thanks so much :) xx

Here is a piccy of John payton and all the Payton children. Taken outside 72 cherrywood rd , Bordesly Green I think .

The births was just guesswork. Same name parents in the same (large) registration area.
Smashing photo of the children, Catsclaws. I've cleaned the scratches off here.

Thanks for that hun :) Np on the guesswork :) I got this piccy when I found my long lost cousin last year ... the son of the boy standing upon the right , my uncle tom :)
Thanks yet again best wishes jean :)

Hi Jean, I think this might be your gran's family on the 1901 Census. The names of some of the children are the names your gran called her children. What wonderful record of a boatsman's family births.

Name:Sarah Smith
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1892
Relation Daughter
Father's Name:Thomas
Mother's Name:Elizabeth
Where born:Satley, Warwickshire,
Civil Parish:Soulbury
Ecclesiastical parish:Soulbury All Saints
Town:Soulbury
Count Buckinghamshire
Street address:Boats at three locks
Father's Occupation:Boatman on barge
Registration district:Leighton Buzzard
Members:Name Age
Annie Smith 22 born Bromley staffs
Edward Smith 13 born wednesbury staffs
Eliza Smith 7 born Birmingham Warwickshire
Elizabeth Smith 42 born Brentford Middlesex
Elizabeth Smith 5 born Birmingham Warwickshire
Lily Smith 2 bnorn Brentford middlesex
Mary A Smith 17 born Birmingham Warwickshire
Sarah Smith 9 born Saltley warwickshire
Solomon Smith 11 born Leighton Beds
Thomas Smith 43 born Penkridge staffs
Thomas Smith 19 born Smethwick Staffs occ. Boatman on barge

Last edited:
WOWOWOW !! Thats her .. I know because Soloman her brother was killed in a feeak accident .. he fell in the lock and drowned .
I dont know you but I love you to pieces for taking the time and trouble to find her . I was nannys favourite and am very much like her .
Dont think I could thank you enough
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX hehe Its my Birthday today you know and that has made my day :)

Since July I think I have found a whole Generation of Smiths .. but I am puzzled . They are from a line that would have come from My grandmothers 2 Brothers . I have Marriage certificates for both Brothers George and Soloman and both state that their father is Thomas Smith Boatman . Its a boating family . But there is NO mention of the 5 sisters (one of which is my gran)
I have since seen pictures of the family and there are very strong family traits . Also the habit of passing down the family names .. Elizabeth .. Anne .. Violet .. Thomas.. Mary .. Eliza ... John
Boat familys are so difficult to trace especially if they are called Smith .
Also one of these is a relative called George Smith from Bedworth hes over 90 year old ex boatman . Im sure gran used to take me to see him when I was small . He visited my dad in 1986 only to be told that dad had died :(
So I would encourage people to keep on seacrhing and keep on trying as it is worth it .
Kind regards jean xxx

Back