• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith Charles Surrender

Maryd

Exiled Brummie
Does ANYONE know why my great grandfather had this middle name? No-one still alive in the family knows, I think he must have kept it quiet - as you would! I wonder if it was a Quaker name? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Mary

Re: Charles Surrender Smith

Maryd

What was his date of Birth ? It could be relevant.

Phil

I believe his year of birth was 1861,he died of pneumonia in Sept 1900 aged 39.:(

All I can offer is that he was named for a surrender in some historic battle. In 1861 the American civil war had started, and there were wars in Italy at that time as well.

If you could find out his exact date of birth, you could perhaps tie it up to some specific battle. e.g. Fort Sumter surrendered to Southern forces on April 13th 1861.

Or on Feb 13th the Neapolitan King Francis II of the Two Sicilies surrendered to Piedmontese forces at Gaeta.

So if you have American or Italian ancestors, this could be a factor.

Phil

Thanks Phil for this. I doubt my ancestry reached much beyond Lozells, - but it's a thought. I'll have another look at this some time, to see if I can find an exact birth date. On his death certificate his widow just gives her name as "M", which isn't exactly helpful.

Thanks again.

Mary

Hi Mary, there's a possible marriage Jul/Aug/Sept 1881 between a Charles Smith and Maria MeesDistrict:Aston (1837-1924) County:Warwickshire Volume:6d Page:404

Thanks so much for this. I intend joining the Ancestry site for a month soon as well, and I'll check up one or two things then. This might well be him. (I have Smiths on boths sides..oh joy!)

Thanks again.

Mary

Back