• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith and Pepper Manufacturing Jewellers

W

Wendy

I thought it would be nice for Smith and Pepper to have it's own thread as it is such an important part of the heritage and history of the Jewellery Quarter

For over 80 years the family run business of Smith & Pepper produced jewellery from the factory that is now the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter.
When the elderly family which ran the business of the Smith & Pepper decided to retire in 1981. They tried to sell the business or pass it on to younger family members without any success. They then decided to just ceased trading, locked the door and walked away. In the eighty years before its closure, little changed with the working practices or equipment used within the the business. The council who then took over the building decided to leave it as it was and open it as a museum.
The Museum is a time capsule of the working practices of jewellers in times past. There is so much to take in the books just left as they were, the dies and stamps used for making the jewellery. The workers brown work coats on hooks. The workbenches as they were left.
I can only say it is well worth a visit especially if like me you had family who worked in the jewellery trade.

Some examples of their work.
Smith_and_Pepper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Wendy, it's a lovely place, almost as if they had all gone for a break, everything is as they left it.
My Grandfather was a Master Jeweller so I was imagining how he would have looked at his bench.
rosie.

Hi rosie I had some jewellers in my family. I had one listed as a chain maker not like the ones in Cradley Heath. I also had a diamond setter and gold worker. The terms would evoke all sorts of images, as you say the visit brings the history alive so to speak.

Just saw The Jewellery Quarter Museum featured on TV'S Bargain Hunt it may be worth looking on IPlayer.

Back