• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Small heath

If you look to the end of the road you can see a house. This house looks like the house (still standing) at what was once called six ways Golden Hillock Road. If you look at the rows of houses on the right hand side, they appear identical to those on Golden Hillock on the 30's. The road on right looks like Byron Road, before the post office so the wall must be the wall over the railway line just before you get to Armoury Road (BSA)

Attachments

• 1339-golden_hillock_road_small_heathimg515-1.jpg
    1339-golden_hillock_road_small_heathimg515-1.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Golden Hillock Byron Road junction.JPG
    Golden Hillock Byron Road junction.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Six Ways Golden Hillock Road.JPG
    Six Ways Golden Hillock Road.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 43
On which road did Betty Whitehouse live?
I am not sure which Road, it could have been around Chapman Road just off Coventry Road but cant be sure its a long time ago. I know she had sisters Diane, Edna, Doreen, and a brother Sidney. The last time I saw Betty was when my mother died in 1980, Betty was then living in Kestrel Avenue Yardley.

Thomas and Alice (nee Marson) are living on Cooksey Road on the 1939 register.

Their daughter Betty appears to have passed away in 2001. Listed at Kestrel Avenue on 2002 ER with sister Diane and brother in law.

Last edited:
Thomas and Alice (nee Marson) are living on Cooksey Road on the 1939 register.

Their daughter Betty appears to have passed away in 2001. Listed at Kestrel Avenue on 2002 ER with sister Diane and brother in law.
Thank you for your Info about Betty Whitehouse.

The one on the right shows Frazier Bros on the corner of Green lane & Coventry road (300 Coventry road), with the library in the background .
Hi. Do you have any idea of the date of this photo, please. My ggrandfather William was one of the Frazier brothers and I have often wondered what their premises were like

i remember jenkin st (smallheath girder bridge) over the tracks. when was the other bridge along side built pleasesmallheath.png

That's not Jenkins Street (Small Heath) Bridge. It's still a single bridge. The bridge in the photo is located on Bordesley Middleway.

Thanks Phil. These pictures are great. Do you know of a school called St Michael's Senior? I have also posted help for pictures of the following addresses: 2 the Retreat, Bordesely Park Road and 7/135 Irving Street and St Catherines Catholic Church Digbeth. My Grandparents married there in June 1946.

many thanks
Michaela
Hi I have a photo of the Retreat, I'll bookmark this thread and get back to you

Thanks Phil. These pictures are great. Do you know of a school called St Michael's Senior? I have also posted help for pictures of the following addresses: 2 the Retreat, Bordesely Park Road and 7/135 Irving Street and St Catherines Catholic Church Digbeth. My Grandparents married there in June 1946.

many thanks
Michaela
I've just realised that the picture I have is of Dowell's Retreat in Warner Street, which isn't the same place, apologies.

Back