• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Small Heath Tram Depot Coventry Road

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
The view across the Coventry Road from Small Heath Park. The same buildings are still standing there but I wonder if that simple, low-level, arched building between the tall ones is still there behind the modern-day Fresh Fish and Vegetables store ? Hope so.

Viv.

VivScreenshot_20230618_132642_Maps.jpgScreenshot_20230616_175048_Chrome.jpg

[......... I wonder if that simple, low-level, arched building between the tall ones is still there behind the modern-day Fresh Fish and Vegetables store ? Hope so. Viv] QUOTE

The 3 arched building had been covered over. I thought it looked set back but found an older photo .

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpeg
    IMG_0485.jpeg
    879.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an early view which shows the arched building. Also attaching the same modern view.

Viv.

Screenshot_20230620_090829_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230621_064739_Maps.jpg

Attachments

• Small Heath - Coventry Road - Small Heath Park (2) & tram terminus.jpg
    Small Heath - Coventry Road - Small Heath Park (2) & tram terminus.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 10
  • Small Heath - Coventry Road - Small Heath Park (12).jpg
    Small Heath - Coventry Road - Small Heath Park (12).jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 10
More photos of same spot on the Coventry Road. The first photo shows the tram lines entering the old steam tram depot

If you look at photo 2/2 the tramlines turn at a point further along from the single storey building with 3 arches. That would be where St Oswald's Rd is.

Yep. Picture 1 shows the later electric trams route. They were introduced after the steam trams which used the depot opposite the park entrance in picture 1 Having said that, the trams on picture 1 are also electric .

The low-level building in Tinpot's post #2 was the tram depot's waiting room according to the Small Heath Circle site.

So how was the tram depot accessed by trams ? Via St Oswalds Road ? Viv.

Last edited:
The low-level building in Tinpot's post #2 was the tram depot's waiting room according to the Small Heath Circle site.

So how was the tram depot accessed by trams ? Via St Oswalds Road ? Viv.
1889 map but assume it continued the same - I will check but other maps not such a good scale
1687444170138.png

This thread has been created from a discussion on the Small Heath Park Shops thread. I have edited some of the posts so that they correctly refer to earlier posts in the context of this thread. Please let me know if there are any inaccuracies. Many thanks. Viv.

Back