• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Small Heath Recreation Ground.

podgery

master brummie
Does anyone remember the helicopter landing pad that was put into the rec in the late 1940s or early 1950s? and why was it put there.Chipperfields circus used the rec frequently but there were two other circus's that used the rec, can anybody remember who they were? Across the river Cole Bob Wilsons fair was also a regular visitor, but again two other fairs used the rec, can anybody remember them? I am new to this site so i hope i have done this right and the thread has not been used before.

Hi Podgery,

Welcome. The helicopter pad was on Heybarnes Rec and was run by the then British European Airways for flights to london. It was not successful and did not last long. If you use the search facility and put in 'Helicopter Service' you will find 2 or 3 sites referring to this. As for the circuses and fairs I cannot really help althogh I remember going to Billy Smarts Circus and am almost certain it was on Heybarnes Rec.

Old Boy

Hi Old boy Thanks for that i do remember Billy Smarts circus and now i think about it that was definitely one of the three.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there used to be horse racing on that piece of land.

Hi I dont think Gerry Cottles was one of them does not ring a bell anyway. If they did have horse racing on the rec it was way before my time. Thanks for that anyway perhaps someone else as heard of that.

Back