• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Six Ways Church Aston

F

Frantic

Does anyone know the name of the church at six ways Aston on the corner of Witton Rd & Victoria Rd? I remember going to "Lifeboys" there.

I'm not sure butI think that was Christ church baptist chapel

It was Christ Church - Baptist.  I used to go to Sunday School there from quite a young age perhaps four years old, Marjorie Jackson who was about 13/14 years old would take a group of us younger ones. I can remember sitting on rush mats to hear bible stories.
We were given little text cards each Sunday.

There was a big anniversary event each summer and we would practice for weeks, the girls wore white dresses and shoes and socks, and the boys trousers and white shirts.  On the Sunday morning we went into a side room before the service and had roses pinned to our dresses or shirts, to this day I can remember the lovely smell.  After the service I had to go round to my grandparents so they could see how nice I looked in my finery, my hair in ringlets, my mother used to put the curling tongs on the gas ring and sat me on the white scrubbed table while she did it, it was quite fearsome, the hot tongs would burn the hair sometimes and I always feared getting burnt. I was "finished off" with a large white ribbon tied into a double bow - pity I have no photos.

I went on to join the Girls Life Brigade.  Frantic do you remember the Sunday morning parades around the area?  Happy days.

Is this the one. :-\
Photo replaced, not necessarily the same one as original
baptist church. six ways aston.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the one Postie, I do remeber the parades around the area Sylvia. I also remember that as a Lifeboy, I was not allowed to salute the flag because I didn't have a hat. (Mom couldn't afford one) I was most indignant about it.

yes, my mom used to go to Girl's Brigade there (or something similar...probably what you mentioned Sylvia), when she was about 12 in 1942, or so...before she joined Park Lane Gospel Hall.

When I was nursing at All Saints in '87 I knew a young woman that went there, and I think it may have been around that time??? that it had the fire (think it was arson) which caused the congregation to have to meet elsewhere (in some hall or other), and I think there may have had to be a rebuild of some sorts.

I also remember that in the 60's...maybe the mid 60's, from Park Lane we used to have our Boxing Day parties there (maybe because it was bigger)
I always remember the game where you had to only tread on sheets of newspaper and everyone used to fall over each other ;D
a forerunner of a more sophisticated game now, I think, that costs pounds and pounds...but can't think of it's name :D

The last time I passed the church it had boards over the windows,

My husband Brian's aunt was a Sunday school teacher there. Her name was Marjorie Compton.

Do anyone remember the Friday Dances in the Hall next to the Church on a Friday nights my late Sister never missed :smitten:

That was the hall where we used to go to' Lifeboys' and the 'Boys Brigade'. I think the scouts used to use it too. Around the corner in Witton Rd (on the left of the fab picture), almost directly opposite the church, was the barbers that my mom used to send me to to be unceremoniously 'scalped'. :mad:

Di, Brian's auntie Mrs.Compton was my Sunday School teacher, she was a lovely lady, and I still have the small leather bound New Testament that she gave me for my birthday in 1946. Her daughter Shelagh was about my age and I remember her well, I have a photo of a Girl's Life Brigade trip to London with Shelagh on it. What a small world it is, brought together by this wonderful site.

How lovley Sylvia that you remember Auny Margie, yes she was lovley, such a gentle soul. Sheilagh is still living in Sutton. Small world indeed. :)

Re: Six Ways Baptist Church

Just seen this discussion.
I only went there once, and that was in about 1940, with my mum who was persuaded by our Doctor, Dr H O Massey of Warren Road, 'Erdington', to go to the Christmas Bazaar there. He was an important Elder there, and put in an appearance while we were there. He kept on his original medical practice just round the corner in High Street, Aston after he moved out to Warren Road and took over a practice in this then new area, but I understand the Aston surgery was taken over by his son(s) for many years.
Peter

The church has certainly been refurbished, this after a fire nearly destroyed it a few years back.
It still looks the same, but is no longer a church having been converted to apartments.

oh I didn't know...
do you know where the congregation now meets then?

Back