• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Site Of The College Of Food And Domestic Art What Was There Before

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Hi everyone :)could anyone give me any information about what was on the site of the College of Food and Domestic Art before it was built (going up from Summer Hill )also does anyone have a pic of the area before the college was there..doing some research with Heather and found out her gt grandparents ran the Shakespeare Pub..just a few doors down.. would be grateful if anyone has any info on the area before the college was built
Thanks
Maggie

maggie..ive lost me bearings again..:rolleyes: was summer hill just up from spring hill and do you have a pic of the shakespeare..is it still there as i will do a pic search for you...

HI MAGGS
It was part of the big building complex that was and still is i beleive i may be wrong
as to its still excisting use of the building and its name was the scotish assurance building which had about twelve floors and the front entrance was in great charles street and the lengh contined back and should i say
extending around to summer row it was a massive building
there was alsorts of companies occupying the building and one comes to mind
was the birmingham city council i think that was around the six floor and that was there painting department for the schools and building way back in 1959-60 how i remember that it was a place i had to go for a job and an
apprentices painter and dec and interior dezign ; i can remember them demolishing half that block and just short of the students food hall if not it was apart of the new build but it was apart of that building the scottish assussane building
up until the late sixtys
best wishes astonion ;;

Hi Maggie

A couple of photos of the Shakespeare through the years, that might be of interest to you.

Phil
Replacement photos

Shakespeare summer row.jpg SHAKESPEARE SUMMER ROW LIONEL ST 1989 B44-N23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the information, the pictures are brilliant. It makes family history come to life

Thanks again

Heather

So did my relatives in 1891, Snap...

1891 census transcription details for: 31, Shakspeare Inn, Summer Row, Birmingham
spacer.gif
National Archive Reference: RG number: RG12 Piece: 2400 Folio: 139 Page: 15
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Reg. District: Birmingham Sub District: All Saints Parish: Birmingham Enum. District: 37 Ecclesiastical District: Christchurch City/Municipal Borough: Birmingham
Address: 31, Shakspeare Inn, Summer Row, Birmingham County: Warwickshire
spacer.gif
Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth
Year
Occupation ,
Disability
Where Born BOWKETT, Frederick Head Widower M 50 1841 Beer House Keeper
Warwick BOWKETT, Kate Daughter Single F 19 1872 Barmaid
Evesham BOWKETT, Lilly M Daughter Single F 16 1875 Barmaid
Alcester BOWKETT, Frances Daughter Single F 14 1877 Scholar
Alcester

well i will go to the foot of our stairs maggie..does this forum hold no bounds or what...:)

lyn

So did my relatives in 1891, Snap...

1891 census transcription details for: 31, Shakspeare Inn, Summer Row, Birmingham
spacer.gif
National Archive Reference: RG number: RG12 Piece: 2400 Folio: 139 Page: 15
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Reg. District: Birmingham Sub District: All Saints Parish: Birmingham Enum. District: 37 Ecclesiastical District: Christchurch City/Municipal Borough: Birmingham
Address: 31, Shakspeare Inn, Summer Row, Birmingham County: Warwickshire
spacer.gif
Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth
Year
Occupation ,
Disability
Where Born BOWKETT, Frederick Head Widower M 50 1841 Beer House Keeper
Warwick BOWKETT, Kate Daughter Single F 19 1872 Barmaid
Evesham BOWKETT, Lilly M Daughter Single F 16 1875 Barmaid
Alcester BOWKETT, Frances Daughter Single F 14 1877 Scholar
Alcester

How great is this, looks like we are distant cousins. I will sort the link out andd let you know just how distant

heather

Oh Dib your related to Heather cos those are her rellies ..gonna phone her now

Frederick's late wife Mary Elizabeth Arkless 1841/1883 was my great great aunt...

The children, First Cousins Three times removed, Small world :)

I am thrilled with this.

Here goes,

Kate Julia Bowkett married Harry Collins June 1891 (great grandparents)

1901 Census. Harry & Kate Collins & daughter Elsie Gertrude age 6 (Elsie my grandmother) living at 41 Endicott Road. Aston Manor.

1911 Census " " " " " age 17 living 17 Reginald Road Smethwick

then Elsie ran away to Sheffield aged approx 19 to marry Edward Sadler (1913)

Elsie & Edward then lived at 21 Beechfield Road Smethwick

Daughter Hilda Beatrice born 1914

Daughter Joan Kathleen born 1919 (my Mom)

And the rest is history

Isn't this great,

Amazing....

Cannot help much with the Bowkett family, as I only noted the parents of Frederick Bowkett (Thomas Bowkett 1814 & Catherine Blackburn 1804, I think) and his siblings Thomas 1835, Julia 1843, William 1831& Henry 1837, but if you want further information on the Arkless family please PM me....

Dibs.

Hi Dibs,

You have taken me back even further,

Frederick Bowkett was my great great grandfather and Thomas Bowkett was my G. G. G. Grandfather. That was something I didn't know

had my Mom been alive she would have been so thrilled.

I have now got to let the other branch of the Bowketts know.

Thanks again

Heather

Looks like one of Fredericks children also carried on in the licensed trade, this time at Five Ways, Broad Street.

1911 census transcription details for: Five Ways Inn 148 Broad Street Birmingham
spacer.gif
National Archive Reference:
spacer.gif
RG14PN17994 RG78PN1095 RD384 SD1 ED6 SN64
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Reg. District: Birmingham Sub District: Ladywood Parish: Birmingham Enum. District: 6
Address: Five Ways Inn 148 Broad Street Birmingham County: Warwickshire
spacer.gif
Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married
Sex Age Birth
Year
Occupation Where Born BOWKETT, Walter Henry Head Married M 42 1869 Public House Manager Evesham Worcestershire BOWKETT, Ellen Wife Married
21 years F 43 1868
Burton Derbyshire BOWKETT, Alice Gertrude Daughter Single F 20 1891
Burton Derbyshire BOWKETT, Frederick Walter Son Single M 16 1895 Motor Engineering Burton Derbyshire

PS, place of birth of Ellen & children is Buxton, Derbyshire, England. not Burton.

Thanks for this post, It does prove the family history correct.

Does any one know if the Five ways pub was where the Five ways island is now ?

Hi everyone :)could anyone give me any information about what was on the site of the College of Food and Domestic Art before it was built (going up from Summer Hill )also does anyone have a pic of the area before the college was there..doing some research with Heather and found out her gt grandparents ran the Shakespeare Pub..just a few doors down.. would be grateful if anyone has any info on the area before the college was built
Thanks
Maggie
Hi
My Great great grandparents were at this pub according to their marriage certificate. Could you DM me
Bob

Back