• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silver Blades rink area 1960's

Jeeze625

proper brummie kid
Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can find an up close map of the area immediately where Silver Blades ice rink now stands. I'd be looking for a map from around the 1950's - early 60's of the corner of Pershore/Bromsgrove Street showing house etc.

Many thanks,
Lee

This is the best I can do

map_c_1952-5_pershore_st_bromsgrove_st_junc.jpg

On a recent visit to Birmingham I took these pictures at the Silver Blades. Not the place it used to be.

Attachments

• DSCN1204.jpg
    DSCN1204.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1209.jpg
    DSCN1209.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN1208.jpg
    DSCN1208.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN1205.jpg
    DSCN1205.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1206.jpg
    DSCN1206.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 19
Nice pictures Andrew at least it's still being used. Mind it was always very busy when I went, not many in your photo's a shame really.

Think you saw these pictures before but it's always nice to remeber how the building used to look like, maybe it will
bought back to its former glory one day, I wonder if all the silver sheets cover up the fire damage.

Attachments

• silverblades.jpg
    silverblades.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 75
Hi Andrew , that looks like only half of the rink as it only shows one face off area for the hockey ,do they split the rink for general skating? Nice pick by the way

Visited both Coventry & telford rinks last hockey season wow now they have ATMOSPHERE Great hockey teams too.

The pictures are the same building, we had to enter from the bowling alley downstairs, the ramp is not in use, maybe there is damage to the other side of the rink after the fire, I never asked, or maybe some other work is being done and its not finished, its the same building and ice surface but not the the wonderful place it was in the 60's, maybe it will return to its former glory one day. Glad you liked the pictures, it was nice to visit, I was only in Birmingham for two days but had the rink on my to visit list and was very happy that we were able to take some pictures.

Back